MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Es8 considering
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Es8 considering
zoogoo
I was considering buying the es8 to hook up to my laptop and incorporate vsts. Have anyone had any experience with this? I've had others tell me that it's faulty and has bad delay and sync problems. It almost seems too good to be true to hardware into Ableton from a USB port with no buffer issues. I use a pci soundcard and even then can have real time issues. Perhaps some user advice would be helpful to help me decide on this product. I've yet to find accurate publications. Can u adjust sample rates through driver software? Does the sample rate lowered mess with cv signal delay?
criticalmonkey
latency in plugins is likely with any interface without hardware dsp hosting with all daws i can think of - obviously you can do it - just depends on the effect -
i play guitar into an amp sim in DP and it works ok, buffers set really tiny and it's within the usable space - same as any usb interface I've used.

there are some better software hosts for plugins- not daws just plugin hosts - don't know much about them but i do know guitar players who just use ni guitar rig on laptop live - touring guys so i assume it is solid

sample rate won't really impact cv -

es-8 is super fun to have in modular rig
generating sounds/cv on the computer to the modular for processing or
sending cv into the computer - recording cv or cv to midi - is really awesome
recording or playback of audio from it is good too
zoogoo
so basicly im going to run into issues where i send audio signals back and forth from the computer? but not with cv messages? i dont understand the variable amount of information processing, i thought cv and audio frequincy moved at the same speed. any reason why the audio gets processed slower the the control voltage? less information to process?
s.l.o.w
I guess you'd be less likely to notice latency of CVs vs. audio, unless you're trying to run a tightly timed gate through a round trip of the converters for some reason. With audio, especially if you're running something through your VSTs in parallel with whatever's going on in your modular, you might notice some doubling or chorusing if the buffers are too large.

The ES-8 is an important bit of kit in my hybrid modular rig; I do a lot with Ableton and Max in addition to the Eurorack. Also live guitar and vocals through plugins on the computer. I can't speak to the snappiness of the ES-8's USB driver, as I use its in and outs via ADAT to/from my MOTU thunderbolt interface, which has outstanding latency characteristics.
thehipcola
I run an ES-3 for getting CV out of Reaktor, Reason and Ableton into the modular... sync is perfect. Can't speak to bringing audio to and from, but CV is flawless. Been considering an ES-8 addition though..would be great to have audio to the PC via ADAT inputs on my Focusrite interface.
zoogoo
thehipcola wrote:
I run an ES-3 for getting CV out of Reaktor, Reason and Ableton into the modular... sync is perfect. Can't speak to bringing audio to and from, but CV is flawless. Been considering an ES-8 addition though..would be great to have audio to the PC via ADAT inputs on my Focusrite interface.
how does it transfer over? Does ur soundcard use a lightpipe? My pci card doesn't have that connector. Is there a cheap solution? Or u have one of those fancy sound cards?
thehipcola
Yes - so ES3 uses ADAT/Lightpipe from your existing soundcard (if it has that connectivity) to send signal to the ES3 where it comes out as CV. I guess I have one of those "fancy" interfaces LOL - Focusrite LS56. It's pretty old, but still kicking.
criticalmonkey
if you are sending cv through the computer - i.e. generating in modular, sending into computer to manipulate somehow and back out of the computer to control some modular piece; you will likely run into latency -
cv is just audio in this case so same issues apply

if you want to send a trigger into computer and get a response - like a hardware gate triggering an adsr in the computer that is patched to a hardware vca then you won't likely have an issue - it's better than midi in my experience
charley2020
I plan on getting an ES-3 & Es-6 for my RME Raydat. There is only ada8200 connected and so I have 3 ADAT In and Out left.
I plan to record the modular thru the adat right into Cubase 9.5.
what i also like to do is to Play a vst with metropolis sequencer. Don‘t know if this is working??
os
You could use Silent Way CV To MIDI to do that, using the CV input via the ES-6.
criticalmonkey
SW cv to midi is awesome fun for controlling soft synths with modular too - just saying
zoogoo
criticalmonkey wrote:
SW cv to midi is awesome fun for controlling soft synths with modular too - just saying
i was thinking the same thing. Like it can go both ways. I could use the cv signals to control the computer, its gota translate interestingly enough.
zoogoo
os wrote:
You could use Silent Way CV To MIDI to do that, using the CV input via the ES-6.
es-6, thats the expander for the 8 right?
os
The ES-6 can be used with the ES-8 or ES-3.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1