MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

If you bailed on modular...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author If you bailed on modular...
crawling wind
Shledge
solitud wrote:
Shledge wrote:
I don't think I would ever part with mine. Patching is a very calming and rewarding experience. The lights, knobs etc. make it a very sensory experience for me. It's used for music, but often I see it as a big set of "sonic lego".

My modular is an aquarium with many colorful fish to feed.

So that's why cats gravitate towards it.
suboptimal
When I contemplate the value of my Eurorack system it's tempting to sell it all and get a Jomox AlphaBase, a few Elektron boxes, and some good quality processing gear. I'd probably end up with a bunch of cash left over that I could shift into other pursuits, like photography.

It's tempting.
popvulture
Shledge wrote:
irritable devices

Now there's a band name Bananallama!
PLNB
suboptimal wrote:
When I contemplate the value of my Eurorack system it's tempting to sell it all and get a Jomox AlphaBase, a few Elektron boxes, and some good quality processing gear. I'd probably end up with a bunch of cash left over that I could shift into other pursuits, like photography.

It's tempting.

This is the base of my setup plus an MPCLive. Audiowise, the combo has promise, but midi is still madhouse syncing with my DAW via Iconnectivity Mio10. I was debating how much I needed the AB until I played a quick jam on the daw, and the thud of the kick was perfect.
rutabaga40
I haven't read much of this thread, so forgive if this was recommended already...I always find it refreshing to create a focused rack of modules and limit yourself to that for a while. Our everything else in storage! Really getting to know some things and working within constraints usually inspires me all over again.

For me it happens when I go on a trip and take a little travel case.
cube48
Gotharman's Anamono X would give you fully modular architecture in one neat box with presets, morphing, sampling, sequencers, fx and lot more. Just one box. Kinda the best of both worlds, modular yet standalone and fully featured.
DeanG
so far, so good..
SynthBaron
How is the QuNexus? Been thinking about picking one up.
Nelson Baboon
cube48 wrote:
Gotharman's Anamono X would give you fully modular architecture in one neat box with presets, morphing, sampling, sequencers, fx and lot more. Just one box. Kinda the best of both worlds, modular yet standalone and fully featured.

fully modular? the gotharman boxes I had were not fully modular.

And his boxes are heavily menu based, which is very far from 'the best of both worlds'.
DeanG
SynthBaron wrote:
How is the QuNexus? Been thinking about picking one up.

I enjoy using it, but it is a bit weird in some ways. Not sure it is always consistant in response to pressure. Also the bend pad is difficult to operate at times and the octave pads don't always respond. While that doesn't sound like a hardy endorsement, OTOH all parametera such as pressure, tilt, velocity etc can be mapped to various cc on my se02, although I haven't done much with that yet. I had MN pressure points on my modular as well as a Pittsburgh Modular lifeforms keypad and I find this is more usefull than either as it combines some of the functionality of both those. As a non keyboardist I like the light touch required also, but I don't require great precision for what I do with my synth. I would sum up by saying I find it to a very expressive device and I feel very connected to my synth through it. And I think it is the best affordable option for a touch keyboard that I have come across.I bought it used and added the midi expander.
KaOsphere
Went a somewhat similar route at the end of last year.

I just got rid of all my modules, patch cables etc...

Now I'm making musing again with a bunch of elektron boxes, an Ipad and some nice controllers/midi funboxes ( Touché, Goliath, midi gal, event processor.... )

I did not find what I was looking for in modular...
Muzone
KaOsphere wrote:

I did not find what I was looking for in modular...

.....it may not have given the answer, but it showed you the way
modular is a journey deep into self expression, originality and the timeless nature of being, not all are ready for the wisdom but can still benefit from the experience
bkbirge
solitud wrote:
Shledge wrote:
I don't think I would ever part with mine. Patching is a very calming and rewarding experience. The lights, knobs etc. make it a very sensory experience for me. It's used for music, but often I see it as a big set of "sonic lego".

My modular is an aquarium with many colorful fish to feed.

Mine has a barracuda and a Moray eel hiding in there somewhere. Lost a finger to one the other day.
KaOsphere
Muzone wrote:

self expression, originality and the timeless nature of being

Exactly what I was looking for, exactly what I found somewhere else !
flabby
To derail this slightly. This has probably been said lots, but I think one of the big attractions to modular, and the current zeitgeist with all technology, is that you can 'personalize' it. I think people genuinely love the idea of combining different modules to create their own personalized instrument. An electronic music studio in a box of your 'own making'.
Unfortunately, the reality can end up being a mess, confusing, expensive and unbelievebly time consuming for many. I speaking mainly about eurorack here.

I think that's why you see manufactures like Make Noise and Pittsburgh releasing their own mini semi modulars. You can to the freak quickly and easily.

... I've forgotten what I was building up to here seriously, i just don't get it

Never mind, I have only the Buchla easel at the moment and I find that it really fills my needs. Plus it has MEMORY!!! .

What I always dream of is being able to create a personalized groove box / performance instrument, but I for one would need memory for that to be useful, and I don't see that happening in eurorack anytime.
Muzone
KaOsphere wrote:
Muzone wrote:

self expression, originality and the timeless nature of being

Exactly what I was looking for, exactly what I found somewhere else !

Modular made me transition from thinking the music was in the machine to realising the music was in me, then I got rid of the machine and kept the music smile

Now happily creating with a nice small set up ~ hope everyone enjoys their own journey.....
mousegarden
I've just "bailed" on modular, at least had a serious downsize, 15 down to 3U and the focus of my music isn't modularcentric anymore.
I've got a couple of workstation synths, my Mini Moog and my Buchla Easel, and they cover a lot of bases.
I'm finding that my Korg Z1 is doing a lot of what my modular used to do in terms of providing the right "atmosphere" I also have a Korg Triton, workstations have incredible potential, they need a bit of learning, but even the older ones are still worth having, they aern't generic, mass market, or cheesy, they are genuinely useful.
dubonaire
mousegarden wrote:
I'm done with any more than 84 HP
Hissstories
Interesting conversation. It'd be nice to see some photos of setups that people have found conducive to their creativity.

I just listed my modular, and will part it out in about a week or so. I've gone through several acquisition and purging phases since getting into electronic music that I never had when I was into acoustic music and electric guitars/pedals. I've given Eurorack the better part of a year, and am no longer willing to deal with the research and scouring of the Internet for some idealized sound. I'm going to buy a world class Bodhran for $350, and learn how to play it, and have it for years to come. I'll practice piano. I'm thinking I'll keep one poly, one mono, and learn them inside and out. One day I'll get a Music Easel. Hopefully I'll be able to grab a Juno 60 and an MFB Dominion 1. The dilemma of infinite choice should be somewhat abated. I'll look at what I've got instead of what I don't.

There seems to be a culture of divorce with modules. The honeymoon simply doesn't last. When I found an old Harmony archtop, I knew it suited me. I knew I could give it new life, and we're going on ten years. That being said, there were some lovely and inspiring moments along the modular way.... It's been a journey, that's for sure.
sackley
I've found my current euro modular configuration to be a very inspiring instrument. I don't really feel the drive to change out modules, as I know I have so much depth to explore and most functions covered.

That being said, I think of it as a way to explore sounds through patching. If I just wanted synth sounds for songs then it would be pretty pointless to go through the effort and expense.

It is a journey of self discipline for me. I like playing around on modular grid with different configurations, but ultimately I try to find new ways to work with what I have, or only acquire a new module when I have a very specific use in mind that I can't easily get with what I already own.

I'm also learning piano, and like the idea of being expressive with a rhodes and some pedals.

In the end, they're just tools, and if it works for you then go with it. If not, jump ship. I wish I could be satisfied with just a computer.
Hissstories
That seems like a great way to go about it! I do enjoy the explorative nature of it, and there's something Zen to be said for pulling all the cables to begin again. I actually enjoyed that part! I didn't mean to disparage the workflow too much. We all know it's a very personal thing. In fact, I don't see why I won't return to it sometime in the future. Or, like someone else told me: You just need more modules! seriously, i just don't get it

You won't be disappointed in the Rhodes. I've have a chance to play them, and they're inspiring, no doubt. Beautiful stuff.
popvulture
Yeah, it's indeed very personal. It's tough for me to focus when I have tons of options—I tend to completely get lost in possibilities and I lose sight of the act of actually just playing music and enjoying it. I went through this with guitar pedals as well, only to arrive at the conclusion that I'm happiest with a simple signal chain. I have a board I use in band situations, but sometimes it's just one pedal into my amp, or just straight in. I've found that I tend to make my best music with a more bare setup.

Yet I think going through this stuff is all an important part of the journey, and I don't regret a bit of it—I've learned a ton and have very much enjoyed myself (despite some frustrations, obviously). Plus as I've said before, I do love lusting after gear, and sometimes I just can't fucking help myself from diving in, haha...

And agreed that you'll love the Rhodes, Sackley. To me that's a perfect example of a fairly simple thing that has loads of depth. I love mine so much.
sackley
Cheers. Just sharing an alternative experience. I think everyone goes through phases, and I'm glad to have held on to my euro when previously thinking of scaling back.

That being said, I think it's all too easy for many people to become fixated on buying the next piece of gear/module that will make them (or their system) complete. I did go through the module carousel and it was not much fun.

On a positive note, I found I really clicked with IME modules, and assembled a small rack over time from BST here, learning each one well as I went. I haven't made any drastic changes to that case in nearly a year.

I love the rhodes sound. Just using a reface cp with a keystation, and probably won't bother with an actual rhodes due to size and maintenance. Coming from a background in drums and percussion, I miss the ease of sitting down and jamming.

Having some variety is essential.
calaveras
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum.
Considering selling my Elektron gear because it has me sliding into the same type of song structures every time I use them.
My modular set up can be sequenced or not. It can be played with an external keyboard or otherwise kept in tempered tuning. Or be atonal.
I often find my self in front of my MD/A4 rig wishing 'why cant you be more like my modular?!'
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 5 of 9