MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

If you bailed on modular...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author If you bailed on modular...
bobdylan
Damn this is a relatable post. I've tossed around the same idea a lot but it will probably be a good while before I change anything up too drastically. That being said I just got an MPC 1000 with JJOS2XL to compliment my euro and I feel like I could make a ton of crazy shit with just that and my OP-1. If I ditched modular I'd probably go deeper into that kind of workflow. Maybe switch out the MPC for an Octatrack and then buy a good multi timbral synth from Nord or a Prophet or something... Hmmmm... Although lately I've felt really good about just sitting with what I have and learning all the ins and outs. Feels like there's so much discovery ahead! hyper

Also 100 posts nice! This is fun!
HighLordFixer
There is satisfaction from using what you have already accumulated
no nagging urges that you always "need" something else
yet getting at that point can take long time
no more frantic searching ebay
or obsessively lusting after some module synth or outboard gear
you learn relaxing
then the energy flows
OHM
zazen
Panason
OHM!

Then you have to start thinking about the acoustics of your room help
popvulture
Panason wrote:
OHM!

Then you have to start thinking about the acoustics of your room help

lol lol lol
ersatzplanet
I'm going to suggest a compromise from leaving the hardware modular world altogether. I would suggest looking for a used Nord Modular or better still a Nord Modular G2. You get the benefits of a smaller hardware synth and the modular all in one package.

If you can't afford or can't find either of the Nords, look into the Axoloti (www.axoloti.be). You could get 10 of them for the price of a used Nord. Basically they are like small Nord modulars with an open source module library that is growing all the time from the input of dozens of users. You have to add knobs or run it from MIDI CC commands, but basically it is like the Nords and is programmed on a computer and can be disconnected to play. Many users are making dedicated synths out of them. Synths that they don't change the topology at all on. They get a box, get the knobs, sliders, switches, FSRs, light sensors, whatever they want for control, arrange them the way they want, program the Axoloti to do what they want, and never connect it to a computer again. The Axo is only $80 so get a few. MAKE your own custom synth.

With a rig like that, you change your hoarding from hoarding physical modules, to hoarding software modules - the Axo library currently stands at over 2,000 Community Objects (what they call modules) (http://www.privatepublic.de/public/community-objectlist.html) and over 700 Factory Objects (http://www.privatepublic.de/public/factory-objectlist.html).
These include ports of things like the Rings and Clouds modules that were open source.
DeanG
Another option is a small footprint system comprised of the Roland aira system 1m plus 1 or more aira effects modules. Most useful I think are the Demora and Scooper IMO. Regardless, each has the 16 programmable vitual modules the patch like a modular system via computer or tablet app . This gives you the ability to have multiple lfo, vca, etc. A virtual modular. I found the System 1m itself very capable but missed some warmth, plus the process was too much like an actual modular system that I was trying to escape. YMMV.
syzygywell
I sold my modular because investing in the ever growing thing and patching up stuff was not my thing. I also sold off all my elektron and spectralis because they simply were not fun to use and hindered my workflow.

I made the realization I like to play synths and sequence them and want something for the most part that has a fun interface and above all sounds great.

My main polys are the Juno 60 (with the Kenton DCB MKIII I toyed with midi too but found this was the best option for me) Prophet 6 and Nord Lead. My digitals are the DX7 and Kurz which aren't fun to program but sound great above all. (and I don't program them btw). JD990 and JV1080 are great too.

My main monos are Dominion 1, Moog D, arp odyssey, and Voyager. I'm seriously considering adding the Behringer pro one and Telemark.

I have so much more fun now and my music sounds a lot better.
Panason
syzygywell wrote:
I'm seriously considering adding the Behringer pro one and Telemark.

The Analogue Solutions stuff is underwhelming in my experience and from what I've read from others. Good basic tone, but the rest is meh for the asking price. Also, questionable build quality and other issues.
syzygywell
Panason wrote:
syzygywell wrote:
I'm seriously considering adding the Behringer pro one and Telemark.

The Analogue Solutions stuff is underwhelming in my experience and from what I've read from others. Good basic tone, but the rest is meh for the asking price. Also, questionable build quality and other issues.

I've heard the same I just love the sound of the thing and have seen them for about 800 used which seems worth it to me.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
**** SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT ****

Before you give up on modular, you might think about trying one of these:

chaosick
lisa wrote:
mharpum wrote:
You can spend hours patching and end up with nothing. At least with a groovebox you can save what you make

I made a patch yesterday and it was still there today. wink

With a groovebox I’ll save whatever I make, with my modular I’ll make my mind up about the patch right then and there; if it’s good I’ll record it, if it isn’t I’ll tear it. Adapting to the setting.

Totally agree!
WaveRider
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
**** SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT ****

Before you give up on modular, you might think about trying one of these:

agree, some semi-modulars, a few euro sequencers and an atlantis makes for a nice setup!
popvulture
Oh, definitely. I think I mentioned the Atlantis a while back, but yes—I would certainly have fun with a really small setup with maybe one of those and another module or two. And another. And maybe a couple more.

Jk but yep, a really little skiff with an Atlantis would be lovely.
jcn7

Speaking of Atlantis...this is what I did for a small rig when I downsized...unfortunately I switched it all out (and now think...why did I do that!) It was a cool system! Atlantis could do both coasts of modular...reall wonderful module/synth!

this is the new rig in that same wood skiff:

zoogoo
Honestly you should start collect vsts. They work just as good as most of the modules if not better and are none tangible, but don't let that discourage you because you can connect the parameters to a midi co trolled. Now a days the controllers are quite amazing and easy to use. I love computer based system more then Euro, I just use Euro for the analog stuff that does things a computer cant. You should check out kvraudio.com the forum is really good. Dont spend money on more digital gear. Use the money from selling your eurorack to buy land,then you don't have to pay rent,this is exactly what I did with my first system.
dubonaire
zoogoo wrote:
Honestly you should start collect vsts. They work just as good as most of the modules if not better and are none tangible, but don't let that discourage you because you can connect the parameters to a midi co trolled. Now a days the controllers are quite amazing and easy to use. I love computer based system more then Euro, I just use Euro for the analog stuff that does things a computer cant. You should check out kvraudio.com the forum is really good. Dont spend money on more digital gear. Use the money from selling your eurorack to buy land,then you don't have to pay rent,this is exactly what I did with my first system.

Man, according to the rack you've shared you have digital modules.
zoogoo
dubonaire wrote:

i have one digital one, which is a mixer. The lifeforms has a digital midi component. Which ones are you referring too? As far as the core vco's,vcf's, Lfo's, and some others randomized. it's basicly an analog system. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/632492
Luap
zoogoo wrote:

lol
subLimb
I grew up using 100% in the-box-solutions as this was by far the cheapest route. The funny thing is, I learned to deal with GAS even in the software realm, as there was an explosion of amazing new plugins during that period (and up to today). For a year or two I misspent most of my time just trying out new shiny plugins. I took a hiatus from music altogether for a few years and got back into it last year when I bought my first hardware synth. This led to a few more hardware synths and sequencers and finally to modular.

I like to think I give a lot of thought and consideration to what I buy and I have a very small studio so there is a hard physical limit to how much I can accumulate. Right now I think I am very close to my own personal sweet spot with an OB6, Waldorf Pulse 2, Virus Snow, Elektron Digitakt and Analog Four, and a 6 U/208 hp modular.

Over the course of last year I put a lot of effort into making sure each new piece of gear fit nicely into my setup which is integrated into my PC/DAW so that everything plays nicely together and in sync. This way each piece of gear is instantly playable with a button press and routed into its own channel in the DAW.

I could definitely see the pitfalls of focusing too much on my modular stuff and just endlessly experimenting, but at the end of the day I want to write music, and I have all my other cool fancy boxes and plugins calling to me to give them attention so it keeps me from falling down the endless modular rabbithole....for now!
facklr
Luap wrote:
zoogoo wrote:

lol

zoogoo, I made you a rack suggestion. They are all made out of wood, which are the original analogs. I put a bunch of blanks in there, but don't fret--you can beat on them with wooden drum sticks for percussion which you can probably get on Amazon. It's a little over 3000, but you can just sell some land. Some of them are digital, but you can just hook those up to a screen and they stream Netflix, so you're actually saving money. None of the manuals are Online, but I did run off some ditto sheets for you at the library. (Hurry before the smell is gone. Mmmm blue ditto smell). I'd tell you to call ahead to make sure they aren't checked out, but ever since rotary phones went by the wayside, I know you don't use the telephone. As far as a case goes, all you need is a tree trunk and an old telephone magneto. Watch that red stripe though. It faces the newest rings on the tree, which--and this is crazy--grow from the middle. Modular can be so confusing, I know.

unexpectedbowtie
I've been thinking about this lately. Not so much because I don't click with the modular, but because I feel guilty about not getting to use it as much as it's worth. If I sold it, I'd have the deposit for a house. But I know when I got a house I'd want the modular back for the studio... so I'm just going to cling onto it for a while.
dubonaire
zoogoo wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

i have one digital one, which is a mixer. The lifeforms has a digital midi component. Which ones are you referring too? As far as the core vco's,vcf's, Lfo's, and some others randomized. it's basicly an analog system. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/632492

Giant B0n0 and Synthrotek DLY use digital delay chips. Wasp filter uses digital inverters.

Doepfer A-160 uses a binary flipflop counter chip. 4ms RCD uses a programmable chip.

The Wobblebug has digital ringmod and noise.
Shledge
It's digilogue doe so it counts
zoogoo
dubonaire wrote:
zoogoo wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

Giant B0n0 and Synthrotek DLY use digital delay chips. Wasp filter uses digital inverters.

Doepfer A-160 uses a binary flipflop counter chip. 4ms RCD uses a programmable chip.

The Wobblebug has digital ringmod and noise.
I don't have the dly, it's a reference photo for an analog kick I have. The giant b0n0 is circuitbent, and the rcd and wasp are not digital. The wogglebug does not use firmware or microchips. I emailed make noise stating my concern and they told me nothing about the wogglebug was digital,unless they lied to me. The A-160 is not fully digital ether,but it's a clock, so doesn't matter. Basicly your reaching to prove that like half my rig is digital, and I'm afraid your wrong in this case.
zoogoo
unexpectedbowtie wrote:
I've been thinking about this lately. Not so much because I don't click with the modular, but because I feel guilty about not getting to use it as much as it's worth. If I sold it, I'd have the deposit for a house. But I know when I got a house I'd want the modular back for the studio... so I'm just going to cling onto it for a while.
you could always keep like a small 168 HP system and get a house, or better yet buy unrestricted land like I did outside the city. Then you could certainly afford more stuff again since you won't be stressed on bills. Rent out your shipping container guest house! thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 6 of 9