MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

If you bailed on modular...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author If you bailed on modular...
facklr
popvulture wrote:
So...I'm considering selling my rack. I've enjoyed getting into modular quite a bit, but ultimately I've found myself just chasing module after module, getting both distracted and frustrated. This is certainly partly due to the open-endedness of modular, but also plenty to do with my personality. Let's just say that "ooh shiny" is a frequent mode for me, and I know that when it comes to staying focused, I work best and am happiest when operating within a set of creative variables that are a bit more finite and hemmed in.

I do love synths, though, and I don't plan on quitting that world anytime soon. I'm not sure what I'll do with the money if I cash out—I might spend it on personal stuff, might save it, or could buy a couple of nice standalone synths.

My question: what would you buy if you were to go back to a non (or semi) modular setup? And I'm not talking huge, more like a mono and a poly, or some smallish variation of that sort. FWIW the kind of music I make tends to be of the more melodic, fairly structured variety, but I also dip into more ambient stuff a decent bit.

OK, back on topic:

I have sold and switched and re-evaluated a couple of times now, and I've realized along the way that all the searching and learning and exploring has been just that--searching and learning and exploring...and NOW I am assembling a rack of euro that is sort of a "favorites" as well as what I believe will be the most functional and flexible. The chasing is over in a way at least, and I tend to ignore a lot of the newer and especially esoteric modules because I have found over the years that--despite how complex that may be--they never seem to "get over themselves" or get out of their own way. So, to make a long story short, the shine has worn off and I couldn't be happier about this new perspective.

But along the way, I also expanded into other synths and drum machines and hardware--and these have now been narrowed as well to where I now feel I have a capable array of timbres and techniques to work with that have quality and character but can be manipulated if need be.

So, to answer your question--I have often looked at the amount I have spent over the last 5 years or so and it's astounding to me. I look at the amount of what I currently own and feel the same. If I sold every last bit of it, I could easily afford a 18 space 200e, which I always thought was WAY out of my price range.Apparently, it would have just taken patience.

But not "journey". And that has been the interesting part.

So I probably won't do that. Maybe a Skylab though....

Additionally, I go back and forth on whether or not to trade in some vintage keyboards for a brand new DSI Prophet 6 or REV2 or 12...but maybe I should just get a Prophet 5 because that's what I really want...

So maybe that's what I'll do: Finish my modular (yes, I do mean "finish" with only slight adjustments afterwards now and then) keep my 808, get a Machinedrum (again), get a Prophet 5, and then that's it! I would have money to save for the fast approaching future!

I think I'll do this. Great idea, popvulture.
HighLordFixer
the morons are coming...
and they are wearing holy underwear
if you want dumping all your gear for VST
then go ahead
do it
yet please start the ebay auctions at $0.99
if you actually want it selling
let's not rehash that absurdist debate
we get it
if your point is all VST versus real gear
then what are you doing here anyways
shouldn't you be trolling reddit or something
facklr
popvulture wrote:
Oh, definitely. I think I mentioned the Atlantis a while back, but yes—I would certainly have fun with a really small setup with maybe one of those and another module or two. And another. And maybe a couple more.

Jk but yep, a really little skiff with an Atlantis would be lovely.

I've tried to "Skiff it down" a couple of times, but now I am up to a (not yet filled, but it is PLANNED. Oh yes.) 420HP

Maybe if I started looking at modular as only "complimentary", instead of the "main brain". Just a little bit of spice. But maybe just a little bit more...

I also tried to keep a 208HP case, and just switch the modules in and out as needed. But then one day I said to myself "What if I just had a bigger case..." and now here we are.

I'm beginning to think the point of modular is learning how to downsize. Or maybe it's just a savings account that you can trade in when you want something that's too expensive to buy out of pocket. One thing I know is that I like it more than I've liked anything over the last 20 years.
xenosapien
gotta admit the consistency with the Big Lebowski memes though... but I might be biased, it´s one of my favorite movies after all. wink

but yeah, let´s go back to silently (that means without the help of any buttons designed to put you in a freaking filter bubble!) ignoring the inane ones and focussing on those that actually READ the responses you give them.

As it were, dear @popvulture :

I get your sentiment. Like, A LOT.
I am constantly in a struggle between minimalism and "oh man I want a full wall of modular one day!".

That first half is obviously the part of me that likes to get shit done while the other half is obviously the experiment-loving pseudo-scientist kid in me, that just loves blinking lights and touching/turning knobs and plugging cables.

The thing is, without either one, the other one cannot exist - or at least none of the two would ever get anything INTERESTING done.

If you must, call it a yin-yang thing... wink

-> what I´m trying to get at here is:

Maybe don´t bail out completely. Downsize to something you´re comfortable with.
Get a groovebox or keyboard synth.

MAKE SURE the new toy plays nice with your old toys (i.e. you might wanna keep some MIDI/CV converters and/or other sequencers).

Get a good soundcard and/or some preamps...

Start making music again.
(hey, it might just work, right?)

Good luck dude!
facklr
xenosapien wrote:
gotta admit the consistency with the Big Lebowski memes though... but I might be biased, it´s one of my favorite movies after all. wink

And a good day to you too sir, my fellow Lebowski Urban Achiever. Drinking

xenosapien wrote:
but yeah, let´s go back to silently (that means without the help of any buttons designed to put you in a freaking filter bubble!) ignoring the inane ones and focussing on those that actually READ the responses you give them.

As it were, dear @popvulture :

I get your sentiment. Like, A LOT.
I am constantly in a struggle between minimalism and "oh man I want a full wall of modular one day!".

That first half is obviously the part of me that likes to get shit done while the other half is obviously the experiment-loving pseudo-scientist kid in me, that just loves blinking lights and touching/turning knobs and plugging cables.

The thing is, without either one, the other one cannot exist - or at least none of the two would ever get anything INTERESTING done.

If you must, call it a yin-yang thing... wink

-> what I´m trying to get at here is:

Maybe don´t bail out completely. Downsize to something you´re comfortable with.
Get a groovebox or keyboard synth.

MAKE SURE the new toy plays nice with your old toys (i.e. you might wanna keep some MIDI/CV converters and/or other sequencers).

Get a good soundcard and/or some preamps...

Start making music again.
(hey, it might just work, right?)

Good luck dude!

Maybe what we all need is TWO modulars in separate rooms. That way, you can harvest what you need from the BIG one, and take your streamlined one into the other room for recording/making music. The BIG one can then be the one that you sit in front of and worship like a god we're not worthy Om we're not worthy Om we're not worthy Om
HighLordFixer
It's basically on par with getting comfortable in your own skin
you relax and stop it with the "needy" frustrations
learn some creative resourcefulness
rather than impulsive consumer gluttony
DIY
is applicable for multiple facets of studio engineering
level up your skill over time
think outside the "box"
then you avert that morose sinking money pit feeling
plus contemplate/meditate on mental map of where you want going
with your sound
J3RK
HighLordFixer wrote:
It's basically on par with getting comfortable in your own skin
you relax and stop it with the "needy" frustrations
learn some creative resourcefulness
rather than impulsive consumer gluttony
DIY
level up your skill over time
then you avert that morose sinking money pit feeling
plus contemplate mental map of where you want going
with your sound

Unless you're spending more on your DIY projects than any commercial ones you ever bought. hihi I tend to do that. Where some people put $500 into a new module, I put in a $500 Mouser order. Dead Banana

(which is why I sell my recently built synths so often)

And the cycle continues.
HighLordFixer
totally get what you are saying
it really matters on the project
what project was that?
obviously it's worth it for you

you are also a producer & not average consumer:P

already more than comfortable in his own skin
popvulture
Never going VST. Don't anybody worry your pretty analog heads about that.

Continued thanks for the useful (and often fun) responses. Also the beefs are amusing.
Sinamsis
My recent exploration of building a single manufacturer system (almost) has really been rewarding for me. Partly because I find that certain manufacturers provide really well thought out/designed modules the form an ecosystem where the whole is greater than the individual parts. Partly because the limitations makes you push the modules that you’re working with farther. I’m still not down sizing, but like I mentioned before, creating a studio within the studio, or an artificial set of limitations really can be inspiring.

My main system at this point is 4 rows of 168 hp with a 168 hp controller skiff in front of it. It’s capable of very complex arrangements and I feel it’s the upper limit of what I feel comfortable with physically. I also have it on a two tier x stand and I fine the ergonomics of it to be very comfortable.

My Harvestman system is 9U 104 hp. Not small by any means. I still feel like I can do quite a bit in a relatively smaller system.

Now I’m thinking of building a dedicated 7U Intellijel system. I guess having the ability to build my own cases makes it a little more feesible. But yeah. Adding up the money makes me cringe. And it makes things that I thought were so unattainable previously seem like they could’ve been possible with some patience. Also, I maintain that buying and selling gear can be a healthy and productive thing when it’s done with degree of introspection. Every time I’ve owned an instrument, I’ve taken the time to get to know it and I’ve learned something from it. Be it about synthesis, design choices, or UI and what works for me. I view it more as a lease haha. Different instruments push you to work in different ways. So I think it’s good to explore. I just wouldn’t expect to find the perfect instrument. I’d look for finding the feature set that works for you with a set of compromises you can live with.
dubonaire
zoogoo wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
zoogoo wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

Man, according to the rack you've shared you have digital modules.
i have one digital one, which is a mixer. The lifeforms has a digital midi component. Which ones are you referring too? As far as the core vco's,vcf's, Lfo's, and some others randomized. it's basicly an analog system. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/632492

Giant B0n0 and Synthrotek DLY use digital delay chips. Wasp filter uses digital inverters.

Doepfer A-160 uses a binary flipflop counter chip. 4ms RCD uses a programmable chip.

The Wobblebug has digital ringmod and noise.
I don't have the dly, it's a reference photo for an analog kick I have. The giant b0n0 is circuitbent, and the rcd and wasp are not digital. The wogglebug does not use firmware or microchips. I emailed make noise stating my concern and they told me nothing about the wogglebug was digital,unless they lied to me. The A-160 is not fully digital ether,but it's a clock, so doesn't matter. Basicly your reaching to prove that like half my rig is digital, and I'm afraid your wrong in this case.

I'm really not zoogoo. I'm not trying to score points or anything, I was trying to help you because previously you said you found it hard to determine whether or not modules are digital. I don't have a problem with you wanting an all analogue setup smile. And I also think some of the remarks people are making about you are totally inappropriate and not in the spirit of this site.

The giant B0n0 uses a PT2399 Digital Delay IC.

The Makenoise Wogglebug manual http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/manuals/wogglebugmanual.pdf says "The digital nature of the Ring-Mod circuit makes Simple waveforms (Pulse, Square, Triangle, Sine, Saw) almost necessary to achieve something remotely musical, but don't let that stop you from pumping Motown samples into this circuit! 10Vpp." Perhaps the manual is wrong.

I guess the Wasp filter is and it isn't. the design uses digital inverters but you can say the output is analog, which is kind of the issue, because having digital components doesn't necessarily mean a module doesn't have analogue characteristics, because the outputs are analogue. thumbs up
borututu f.
facklr wrote:
If I sold every last bit of it, I could easily afford a 18 space 200e, which I always thought was WAY out of my price range.Apparently, it would have just taken patience.

When I counted up how much my (still incomplete) 84HP/9U rack already cost I was also surprised. I now decided to sell it all again, as it just ate up to much money and I kinda lost interest in it the more modules I got. I have to admit that most of the joy came from choosing, buying and selling modules, while I was more productive in terms of actually making music with the caustic app on my phone - which cost maybe 7€. To answer the initial question, here's what I think my setup will be after bailing out of modular:
A mixer with Strymon blue sky and el capistan on the aux sends, a MPC1000 jjos2xl, an Elektron MD UW+, Waldorf Blofeld, MFB Microzwerg MKII and a Shruthi. I also just got an Axoloti board which I may turn into an effects box for samples from the MPC.
w00t
ghostly606
popvulture wrote:
So...what would you buy if you were to go back to a non (or semi) modular setup? And I'm not talking huge, more like a mono and a poly, or some smallish variation of that sort.

I sold my rack and found Pure Data, behold the Organelle! If I were to go to a synth I'd probably go for the Microbrute 2 and keep some patching options open.
Daisuk
I cut my eurorack in half the other day, and started selling off pieces from it. Have had a system for 4-5 years now, and have made pretty much all my tracks on it, and I've been really productive too, and mostly enjoying the process. I've just been increasingly frustrated with it over the past year or so though, not been enjoying it as much as I used to, so production levels have gone down. I haven't really enjoyed patching that much for a while, find it time consuming, and quite often uninspiring and not leading anywhere, and quite underwhelmed by a lot of sounds.

Picked up an Analog Rytm some time ago, and starting making stuff with just that - and been enjoying it immensely, reaching immersion levels I haven't been with my eurorack for quite some time - the sonic capabilities of that box simply blows me a way, it sounds so fucking good. Really love that everything is within a few button presses away (I've always loved Elektron stuff, never found it to be menu divey at all, but extremely logically laid out), and I especially find the modulation matrix very inspiring - you can basically turn an LFO up, then scroll through possible destinations, so you can very quickly hear what kind of sound you want to go for - as opposed to a eurorack, where you'd have to patch/unpatch a lot of times to find something interesting.

So I decided to cut down on the euro, as it was a bit too big anyway - and figured I could use more of a "challenge" when patching, fewer options to make me be a bit more creative. And I've invested some of the money I've made into a Digitone, a Digitakt and an Analog Heat. Sounds like complete overkill, but Digitone is an instant hit, Digitakt I only got yesterday, but it's also so insanely immediate and fun to use. It's pretty insane that having sold the few modules I sold, I could buy these three incredibly powerful pieces (from a couple of filters, a vco, some effects and a sequencer). So there's also that part of it - you simply get more for your money on "regular" synths. And polyphony, of course. Sweet, sweet polyphony.

It'll be interesting to see what happens from now though. I'm determined to focus my track making with the Elektrons over the next year, hopefully get into a good workflow with the sequencers running side by side. Also moving to a new place and getting my first real studio space, which is going to be excellent, I hope. We'll see though, we'll see - often the things you imagine to be your salvation turns out to be just the opposite. lol
Infinity Curve
Daisuk wrote:
I've just been increasingly frustrated with it over the past year or so though, not been enjoying it as much as I used to, so production levels have gone down. I haven't really enjoyed patching that much for a while, find it time consuming, and quite often uninspiring and not leading anywhere, and quite underwhelmed by a lot of sounds.

Get out of my head Daisuk hihi

Dont think I can ever get completely out of modular, but I just dont have the time these days to build up the complex patches I tend to make, so when I do actually patch something, I tend to leave it for a while, wiggle some knobs occasionally, just not being productive with it anymore.

It's definitely a tough decision to make, as there is a lot I do with my modular stuff that I couldn't do otherwise. Or some of it maybe I could do with software or other bits of hdwe, but I wouldnt because it wouldnt be as fun, not the same workflow, etc.

Decisions...
Sinamsis
Daisuk
You echo a lot of my sentiments and I think I’m at a similar point in my modular journey. That said after cutting things down I’ve started building some dedicated smaller cases focused around a single manufacturer. I view it more as having accessory synths. But the Elektron combo is what I have, plus an AK (haven’t used it much since the Digitone came in, but I feel like it’s not worth selling now). I would recommend considering a Shuttle Control to use with the DT or Digitone and eurorack. It gives me the immediacy and flexibility of Elektron sequencing with the sound design options afforded by eurorack.
globalwm
Futuresound wrote:
Abyss
Lyra-8
Micro Monsta
Octatrack or Rytm
Mono of your choice - Nyx or SEM or whatever really.

You could do oh so much with those.

Lyra-8 for Ambient/Done - not so much melodic. Love my Lyra-8 - dealt with SOMA direct and they were awesome.

The Lyra-8 is just fun to play but make sure you have a recording going on since it can behave differently based on your mood, so recreating something later can be difficult.
visible cow
Well I've started selling off a bunch of my 9u (formerly 15u) and some of my outboard. There are two modules I think I want to keep: the er-301 and Cwejman QMMF.....so I'm thinking of making a small (as small as possible) system based around those. I'm also considering letting my Cirklon go. I love it but honestly I was more productive with an mpc 1000 with jjos. I guess I've started to feel like a big dork who thinks about music gear too much and am a bit disappointed in myself that I thought I needed this stuff. Some people do, I have no doubt. I also think my palette got away from me and I no longer had a connection to the sounds, if that makes sense.

One thing I'm considering buying though is a nice Yamaha U3 upright. God I miss having a real piano in the studio.
ersatzplanet
I'm currently selling off a big section of my modular too. I just don't use it as much as I once did. I tend to be a live player and hardly put anything to recorders so I have been forced to grow my system to make more than one sound at a time. I have recently started to focus more on Sample playing modules and create sounds on other machines to play and warp on the modular. This will allow me to really cut things down a lot. At some point it will stabilize into a system that is focused on a few task that can't be easily done with other gear. I basically have an aversion to using laptops live, so there will always be a need for hardware in my world. I just want to maximize what that hardware does with the least amount of wasted modules.
wiredK
The Modular is a long journey. As they say "it starts with a module - it never ends". As usually it takes quite a lot of time (and money) to build a decent modular system, one passes through various phases: excitement, disappointment and some times indifference. The circle of emotions may repeat itself continuously. Jean-Michel Jarre suggests to take a limited amount of gear (or just one synth) and spend six months or a year with it, before adding new gear or move to other stuff. I think this is a wise advise.

To give some practical suggestions to the OP, I'd suggest to get a ROMpler such as the Triton Rack, which is not expensive and has great expandability and also get an Access Virus Ti2, which has many different synthesis types and an immense library of patches.

This is a cost effective solution, which gives a lot of creative options.
murch33
facklr wrote:
Maybe if I started looking at modular as only "complimentary", instead of the "main brain". Just a little bit of spice.

I've just dipped my first tentative toe into the world of Euro, so I'm reading this thread with great interest. Using it to complement my current setup is definitely the way I'm approaching it for now.

We'll see how long that lasts, though. lol
alternating.bit
Interesting thread. Though Eurorack-based like most threads on this site, I'm a 5U user who built an EMPIRE, yet in the last year have considerably downsized and sold off a lot of stuff.
I too found the module of the month gear lust a distraction. It was fun, and I learned a lot about synthesis, but I'm happy now focusing more on output rather than individual modules and making demos. I'm now using other hardware and effect pedals, plus I've even have gone back some to the DAW which I had sworn to stay away from.
I suppose it could by cyclical.
At any rate, no regrets in either case.

For the record, I did recently obtain a LYRA-8. Pretty rad device.
dubonaire
I've looked at my reasonably large modular as a life-long acquisition. It's there to use as I want. I use synths a lot and use parts of the modular to create sounds and rhythms, especially ones with deep interaction, without feeling obliged to use the whole synth in every piece, which is a factor in frustration I think. I also sample bits of modular and use it in my sampler, not because I can't find equally good sounds elsewhere, but just because it gives me a sense of originality for my own satisfaction.
johny_gtr
Gold rule for me:
- buying new modules, musical instruments make me happy for only short time
- releasing new music that made with these devices makes me happy for a longer process.
- i clearly understand that I do my music for myself and it makes me relaxed. I have(and had) a lot of friends who were depressed because their expensive instruments didn't make them another Hendrix or Gilmour or Eno (even in case, that no one interested in new Hendrix)
neonmercury1
i was just at superbooth and really couldnt get too interested in the modular offerings. i was blown away by the elektron gear though. it really sealed the deal for me selling about half of my euro (about 9u), i have a digitakt on the way and really considering the digitone. I feel like this last 9 months i have been more productive with gear like my op1 than actually finishing things with my euro. i dont think i will get rid of modular completely but i feel like i use it more as a sketchpad than a production or performace tool.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 8 of 9