MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

If you bailed on modular...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author If you bailed on modular...
xthrasherx
dozicusmaximus wrote:
I feel you dude. My main goal was noise/drone sample fodder. But I've been spending a lot of time trying to coax cool sounds. I still have a lot to learn to build better patches to sample. But I think I'm trying to build songs on the modular. I just bought a few more modules to see if this is really the way I want to continue.
Either way I'm going to give it another good 6 months go figure out what's going to stay in the 7u 84hp box or less.

My Digitakt and Digitone are sitting there waiting for me to put the time in. They are pretty easy to get started on and make interesting sounding sequences. Maybe I like sequencing and melody more than I think I do... haha.

But I jump all over the place in what I want to make. So that doesn't help. Staying focused is a challenge.

Just my .02 (again), I love what modular brings to noise / drones, while I prefer to stay out of modular for more melodic work. It wasn't always that way, but my modular stuff has been increasingly focused on modulation duties and sound processing as opposed to sound creation if that makes sense. I love all the cv capabilities, but I care less about using that on a VCO as opposed to using it to impact reverbs, delays, or route signal. That said I'm still figuring it out and my wallet will remain empty for some time sad banana
lisa
mharpum wrote:
You can spend hours patching and end up with nothing. At least with a groovebox you can save what you make

I made a patch yesterday and it was still there today. wink

With a groovebox I’ll save whatever I make, with my modular I’ll make my mind up about the patch right then and there; if it’s good I’ll record it, if it isn’t I’ll tear it. Adapting to the setting.
mharpum
lisa wrote:
mharpum wrote:
You can spend hours patching and end up with nothing. At least with a groovebox you can save what you make

I made a patch yesterday and it was still there today. ;)

With a groovebox I’ll save whatever I make, with my modular I’ll make my mind up about the patch right then and there; if it’s good I’ll record it, if it isn’t I’ll tear it. Adapting to the setting.

Fair one mate, I find I make more actual songs with grooveboxes over modular which usually ends up being a 1 take recording of a sort of performance of the patch. They always end up being incredibly random and not the sort of thing you listen to more than a few times.
dozicusmaximus
xthrasherx wrote:

Just my .02 (again), I love what modular brings to noise / drones, while I prefer to stay out of modular for more melodic work. It wasn't always that way, but my modular stuff has been increasingly focused on modulation duties and sound processing as opposed to sound creation if that makes sense. I love all the cv capabilities, but I care less about using that on a VCO as opposed to using it to impact reverbs, delays, or route signal. That said I'm still figuring it out and my wallet will remain empty for some time sad banana

Yeah... I don't have any effects modules. I run the sounds out into effects pedals and back in right now. I've been thinking about that too. haha.
I've been messing with Mannequins and Ieaskul F. Mobenthey modules a bunch. I just became interested in Thru Zero FM. So after I mess with that I'll take a step back and see what I'm really messing with the most and condense it, then look at effects. The IFM chaos may be too much for my little brain to harness the power of right now.

I'm definitely interested in creating unique timbers and textures. Then adding some delay and reverb. My main purpose was to create sounds/tones I can't with regular synths or at least with a little less effort and more happy accidents.

That said, sound processing does look bananas. nanners And an area I haven't looked to deep into.
popvulture
Lots of really interesting stuff in this thread—I'm really enjoying hearing other people's experiences and backgrounds, directions that have come and gone.

To be completely honest, the feeling modular gave me was a first. I've always been a total gear hoarder—I've got a lot of guitars, amps, pedals, pianos/keyboards/synths etc, but I can't remember ever having even an inkling of such a strong impulse with any of those things to just abandon ship and cash out.

I guess the start of exit thoughts came when I suddenly found myself more financially invested than I'd expected. Someone previously mentioned their modular being the weird thing in the corner that gets some fun/experimental use from time to time... I love that idea, but I also made the mistake of totaling up how much money I'd spent and realized that this weird thing is also a shockingly expensive one. And yeah, I've always known it's an expensive habit—I hear that all the time on here—but it's just funny that my 9U case has quickly eclipsed the cost of even my nicest vintage guitars. Music is by far my favorite thing to spend money on, but never have I had the experience of spending so much on something that left me so frustrated. As I've said though—most of this had to do with me, as there are plenty of examples of people who dig into that world happily and without ending up chasing their tails.

I do love a lot of things about it, and will certainly echo the comment about it being an unbeatable way to learn about synthesis. I would definitely like to get an 0-coast again, and plenty of companies like MI make such fantastic stuff that I'd likely be very interested in keeping a module or two around. It's ultimately just a pool at which I'm probably most comfortable sitting at the edge with my feet in the water razz
lisa
mharpum wrote:
I find I make more actual songs with grooveboxes over modular which usually ends up being a 1 take recording of a sort of performance of the patch. They always end up being incredibly random and not the sort of thing you listen to more than a few times.

I hear you. I had a huge fear of that and/or not making any music at all if I where to get into eurorack. For that reason I kept away for over 10 years. When I decided it was time to take the plunge I set a few rules, one of which is that I have to make music that I like. If I don’t I’m not buying any new modules. It’s working thus far. smile

I record all sounds on separate tracks and arrange in Live after recording. That’s my trick to avoid just ending up with the performance of patches.
shred
popvulture wrote:

I guess the start of exit thoughts came when I suddenly found myself more financially invested than I'd expected. Someone previously mentioned their modular being the weird thing in the corner that gets some fun/experimental use from time to time... I love that idea, but I also made the mistake of totaling up how much money I'd spent and realized that this weird thing is also a shockingly expensive one. And yeah, I've always known it's an expensive habit—I hear that all the time on here—but it's just funny that my 9U case has quickly eclipsed the cost of even my nicest vintage guitars. Music is by far my favorite thing to spend money on, but never have I had the experience of spending so much on something that left me so frustrated. As I've said though—most of this had to do with me, as there are plenty of examples of people who dig into that world happily and without ending up chasing their tails.

definitely feeling this big time. My Dad is big into guitars and when I was younger we'd have fun fantasy thoughts about walking into a shop and leaving with a $3000 Martin or whatever, and that NEVER ever seemed like a possibility that would actually happen. But when I look around and tally up all my modular gear, I'm well into that territory. It gives me some anxiety when I look at it and don't feel the motivation to start patching.

I made waaaay more music when I just used the Samplr app, a few guitar pedals, and a contact mic. Haven't recorded any new modular sounds in well over a year. Getting more into the groovebox swing of things with the Elektron route. Also I've set a limit for myself on 6U of 84hp for both audio and video modules. Otherwise I'd end up with a wall of modular and even more anxiety lol
goiks
there are so many truly awesome tools in the modular world now it would be hard to bail entirely, but if i did it would be for a down payment on one of these (and an ipad):

deltaphoenix
When I first started messing with modular, ~6 years ago - it was with Euro nd bailed after a couple of months. I was playing in a band and knew that I was going to sell all of that stuff in order to fund more Euro.

A few months later, I decided to get some Serge. It was expensive, there wasn't new stuff coming out all of the time, etc. So I enjoyed a couple of months of Serge. Then my band broke up and I was bored w/Bass and Pedals so I decided to sell most of that and my Serge in order to fund some Buchla. I wanted to play out and make use of the 200e memory capabilities. So, I built up a nice SkyLab and played out with that. Because I am obsessive, I built up an 18 space Buchla. Then, my wife had our first child, we bought another house, my career became more serious...so I stopped using the Buchla. The thought of all of that money JUST SITTING THERE drove me nuts. So I sold it, played around with a few other pieces of gear, and now I have 15u of Euro, 2 semi modular synths that can easily patch with the Euro, I have some banana gear (Fenix 2, Cocoquantus and Double knot), a few drum machine/groove boxes AND a nice bass, amp and a few pedals.

I get to play a little of the gas game with the Euro but way less than before. I can get something going quickly with the semi-modular. I can have the banana patching experience that I love. And I can mess with drum machines, play bass, etc. The most important thing that I have found is to have my music space set-up so I can quickly get some sounds happening (patch bay and a sub-mixer to the mixer/audio interface). I lost a lot of inspiration by having to unplug/replug stuff too often.

I would say, that I am cooler with my euro because I have that 15u split into a 6u and 9u and each case has a different vision. The 6u is a bit more of my modular groovebox with a few nice "character" modules. The plan is to make this one my live focused case. The 9u is more studio friendly with larger modules and more "experimental" modules. It is cool if there is a little more turnover of modules in this case.

Ultimately, not having all of my eggs in one basket has helped. I realize that I have put a ton of money into this and I could pair down and still be satisfied. I would keep some modular gear if I was pairing down though.
scuto
xthrasherx wrote:
My big take away from this experience is: Know what you want to do. That seems like common advice around here (for a reason), but my music tastes have changed SIGNIFICANTLY since exploring the world of electronic based music.

This is accurate for me, and knowing what I want out of modular has saved me a lot of turmoil; it kept me from getting overwhelmed. But to get there I had to learn both what I did and didn't want to do, and this was through stand alone kit over some time. Put oversimplistically (sic!) I learned what I wanted to do via the MS-20m, and what I didn't by wrestling with the Octatrack (though my silver Elektrons will never leave).

I'd say a MS-20 variant (I have the m, but the mini may be noisier) or a Boomstar for the mono (the former feels alive thanks to its filters, the latter's tone is quite rich to my ears). I don't have much use for a poly so I can't say, but the Digitone looks like a lot of fun!
HighLordFixer
shipment of 1/4" female jacks just came in so making ms50esque hertz expander system... already have ideal metal for faceplate of new case...
that my x911 cat actually sit on top of... that fucking thing and front input output jacks.... grrrr... requires constantly resisting urge for making it modular
dozicusmaximus
^ M.A.R.K. 13
Nice!
CF3
phase ghost wrote:
In terms of monosynths, nothing can touch a modular. Both in terms of flexibility, and sound quality (imo). My modest ass rig has 4 oscillators (3 analog, 1 digi which is dual), 5 filters, 5 envelopes, noise source, wave folder, bunch of lfo's, and some other auxillary stuff. Not to mention all these oscillators can act as LFO's, and the filters all self oscillate.

So, I'd replace it with nothing. Just dig into your system, and don't worry about the latest and greatest.

Seriously. I can’t even really look it monos anymore. Just in terms of the footprint alone. In my 7U-104hp x 2 rig I can easily do a half dozen “mono” voices with insane modulation, discrete filters, envelopes galore, multiple oscillators (of all different varieties), etc... all in the space of 22” x 20”. I’d need an A-Frame stand and WALL full of monos to do the same.

But more to the point a lot of ppl don’t want to “dig” into their system. Which is evident by all the “what module for X style of music” threads. Modular is not a drag n drop instant gratification machine like a folder full of plugins or a groovebox. First off, it takes knowledge and patience. I’ve been at since about 98’ and I still learn new things daily (same goes for all aspects of production and engineering). It also takes a lot of “other” skills like recording, editing, basic engineering, etc.. to be effective. Secondly, what is it you want to achieve? Modular is ONE tool out of many. I’ve talked many clients out of starting modular rigs because of the style of music they want to make and thier skill level. What’s happening is ppl see other artists with modular and they see exotic modules and they catch the fever... but reality is never as good as the fantasy. It’s work. You have to patch. You have to come up with ideas. You have put together a cohesive rack. Some ppl are predisposed to that and some are not. Nothing wrong with that. But it’s not the modular... it’s you.
nolongerhuman
I've bailed on Euro twice, and rebuilt it each time. For me, critical mass is around 12U, I start to see it as a $10,000 machine to make noise. I produce danceable electronic, and I tour and it kind of pays the bills but no where near extravagantly.

For me it came down to an attitude shift. I stopped trying to do everything in the modular. I got rid of modular effects (digital delays are nice, syncable is also nice, but plug ins or pedals are just fine for me, same with reverbs, same with bitcrushers, etc) I got rid of all but basic sequencers (again, I work primarily in Ableton, and always in a western scale, with typical timings) so they made little sense to me.

I stopped thinking about the modular as a way to "make music" and more a way to add to my flexibility with rhythm tracks, sound design, drum programming. Most everything now goes into Ableton as a loop, I don't even own an analog oscillator, my case is almost totally Noise Engineering and Intellijel controlled by a Minibrute 2 at this point... and I am much, much happier.

When I did bail, first time I went with a DSI Pro 2 and found it buggy beyond reason, and the second time I went with a set of Elektron boxes and found them too close to what I was already doing with my computer.

Now I just have a 7U eurorack, a Digitone, the Minibrute 2 and a Virus Ti. Aside from buying things here and there (like... I want a Dreadbox Nyx for some reason...) and adding a pedal here and there, I mostly am satisfied.

For me, I would either have to be all or nothing, go full on and have a wall of euro or keep it intentionally minimal and use it as a fun break away from my primary creation device, which is still the computer.
GuyaGuy
If I bailed on modular I'd get a couple of synths with a rather robust architecture and flexible routing like a DSI Rev 2 and Moog Subsequent. (Well actually I have those already...)

As for bailing on it because of chasing after modules and so on, that's a choice. It took me a while to figure what size of unit I wanted but once I did I then tried to decide exactly what I needed in there, built things out and stopped, selling the leftovers. I might swap a module out at some point (haven't in a year or two) but I like knowing that I have a 3 row Doepfer case that will stay that size for some time.
Datormaskin
Analog Four and Octatrack and youre set for life.

The A4 is a littlel modular in it self because of modulation matrix.
WaveRider
Datormaskin wrote:
Analog Four and Octatrack and youre set for life.

The A4 is a littlel modular in it self because of modulation matrix.

believe it or not, some really dislike the gear elektron makes
h4ndcrafted
There doesn’t have to be absolutes though. My modular is a source for my sampler. Samplers are great at letting you ‘get on with it ‘ and a modular is great for unique sounds.
InnnerSight
I sold my Eurorack and brought a Music Easel, couldn't be happier no gas since. Another would be nice but multi-tracking solves it. I never keep anything I don't use, much better to get use out of things.
JakoGreyshire
I feel like quitting sometimes.. Usually it happens right in the middle of Mercury Retrograde..

The experience that plays out in the mind during a modular journey is a great way to learn more about the world within and the world without.

If I sold it all, I would probably buy a MatrixBrute and a expressive E touche controller..
Arcana
I’m nowhere near tired of my Modular, but I still make music fastest at the computer, with polysynths attached. Nord Lead changed my life - multitimbral polyphonic and super easy to use.

My Modular is fun but it’s kind of a social thing for me now because I do meetups. Before each meetup I make a set for it.

A year ago I tried to do live stuff but it wasn’t really coming together. Now, i have a Modular and while it still doesn’t come together, i get to subject other people to it and park my perfectionism at the door. hihi
HighLordFixer
Let's hear it for Mercury Retro & Moon Void Of Course!!!!
what a Fing minute...
that's gotta be band name or an album title?!!!
HighLordFixer

Bandcamp account secured
HighLordFixer
HighLordFixer
looks like it's time for making the GF work with me putting together some CGS module pcbs
that have been sitting around for ages....
for new project...
anyone have experience/opinions/feedback on Cat Girl Synthacon filters?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 3 of 9