MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Video Microwrave WIP
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  

Would you purchase a Video Microwrave? $175-250-ish
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Author Video Microwrave WIP
wrave
[placeholder post for one day when i'm actually finished]
wrave
The Video Microwrave started on the 4th of July 2017. I'd had a Raspberry Pi on hand for a year or so. One of the things I knew that a Pi could do is run simple GLSL shaders at fullscreen using glslViewer or OpenFrame, both written by Patricio Gozalez Vivo

I knew that the Raspberry Pi didn't have analog inputs, but I'd bought an MCP3008 at the recommendation of an Adafruit tutorial. So it seems plausible: I could run a GLSL shader and send control voltages to it. Computer-generated visuals that still bear a kind of synthesis by the simple fact that GLSL is like mad science math wizardry, and the results are often beautifully complex, never repeating, and infinitely expanding in to the distance.

I didn't have any trouble building a proof of concept. After some
well-deserved social media mystery, later that afternoon on July 4 2017 I had a shader-based video synth.

I've been at it for a total of one year now, and just last night I had a bunch of electrical components on my desk, about to put together the first real eurorack-powered prototype, and I thought I should let the rest of the wigglers know that I'm out there making this thing.

Demo 1

More pictures and stories and screenshots coming later. I'm trying desperately to finish it to a point where I can demo it at Indie Grits, Columbia SC April 12-15
NathansModular
I can think of many different ways this could be implemented. As someone with graphics programming experience that sort of scares me. If its just a hand full of shaders with the modulation set up in a limited way I would be interested at 150-200 provided it was a quality product in other ways. If you manage to make me feel like I am interfacing with glsl away from a computer through a plethora of options and enough meaningful modulation I would pay 400. It wouldn't even have to be extreme just enough that I experienced the machine as having infinite potential and could spend a significant amount of time getting lost in it to justify the cost. Frankly I might even pay more if it was a engineering marvel.

Regardless put me down for one I am good for it. I think you had a brilliant idea.

Don't forget me when it comes time sell unit 2
BTS
Neat!

Would an upgraded Pi like the new B+ give better performance or more shaders?
wrave
BTS wrote:

Yes absolutely. I'm pretty limited right now. Anything that needs to loop over multiple iterative passes doesn't really fly. And I've actually gone the opposite direction and picked up Pi Zeros. But what's really interesting is that the GPU power of the Pi 2B I'm testing on and the Zero is pretty much identical. Better Pi models don't always guarantee more graphics processing. And just like with a video game console, there is a wealth of beautiful things that can be done with a "weaker" GPU. I'm excited to explore a lot of the things that we're currently using LZX hardware to do, but in a single thin module.

Somewhat related, there's that whole cryptocurrency gold rush nonsense going on right now, so the cost of GPUs has inflated well beyond reason. I'd really like to squeeze a lot of life out of a cheap chip first.

That said, there's got to be a beefy GPU out there that I could use instead of a whole Pi. I know nVidea started making prototyping single board computers. Because, damn, some of the shaders I've been trying out run better on my iPhone.

And yes, I've done all my homework. standard rca/rgb video input should be possible as well; i'm going to hold off on adding any more features or enhancements until the basic hardware and software are working.

One of my last frustrating hurdles is getting the application to start as soon as the operating system boots. You'd be amazed at how hard that is to do. Lousy computers... We should ditch all this nonsense and go back to the good old days before... oh wait.
BTS
wrave wrote:
BTS wrote:

Yes absolutely. I'm pretty limited right now. Anything that needs to loop over multiple iterative passes doesn't really fly. And I've actually gone the opposite direction and picked up Pi Zeros. But what's really interesting is that the GPU power of the Pi 2B I'm testing on and the Zero is pretty much identical. Better Pi models don't always guarantee more graphics processing. And just like with a video game console, there is a wealth of beautiful things that can be done with a "weaker" GPU. I'm excited to explore a lot of the things that we're currently using LZX hardware to do, but in a single thin module.

Somewhat related, there's that whole cryptocurrency gold rush nonsense going on right now, so the cost of GPUs has inflated well beyond reason. I'd really like to squeeze a lot of life out of a cheap chip first.

That said, there's got to be a beefy GPU out there that I could use instead of a whole Pi. I know nVidea started making prototyping single board computers. Because, damn, some of the shaders I've been trying out run better on my iPhone.

And yes, I've done all my homework. standard rca/rgb video input should be possible as well; i'm going to hold off on adding any more features or enhancements until the basic hardware and software are working.

One of my last frustrating hurdles is getting the application to start as soon as the operating system boots. You'd be amazed at how hard that is to do. Lousy computers... We should ditch all this nonsense and go back to the good old days before... oh wait.

Neat! SlayerBadger!

I can't wait to see what comes next.
wrave
Some fun progress videos
https://www.instagram.com/p/BijtC5Ll7Ef/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bixu94ThCWq/

I'm working on the PCB layout, finalizing the BOM, getting a hand on finalizing power from a fellow DIYer, and plenty of twiddling of the software. It's stable enough that I'm comfortable enough saying that this will definitely be (self)produced, as early as this summer.

https://airtable.com/shrhn5OMtaoolS5Vo
Lento_Zoom
wrave wrote:
Some fun progress videos
https://www.instagram.com/p/BijtC5Ll7Ef/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bixu94ThCWq/

I'm working on the PCB layout, finalizing the BOM, getting a hand on finalizing power from a fellow DIYer, and plenty of twiddling of the software. It's stable enough that I'm comfortable enough saying that this will definitely be (self)produced, as early as this summer.

https://airtable.com/shrhn5OMtaoolS5Vo

Keep going! This is looking more and more awesome!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1