MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Fender Guitars
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author New Fender Guitars
Figures
OK. So I have -

Squier Strart 2000 China made.
Fender Tele 1997 Mex Standard.
Ibanez artcore AF65
Fender 70s P Bass reissue 1995 Japan
Charvel Model 1 P Bass style Japan

Have owned alot of others -

Yamaha Rex4 Bass
Yamaha P Bass
Squier P/J Special 1994
Fender Active Jazz 1998
Fender Musicmaster bass 1977
Epiphone Les Paul 1980
Charvel Model 4 1989
Fender Jaguar 1998

and more.

Anyway I just bought one of these for £400 on the off chance as I wanted a "proper" strat.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-deluxe-stratocaster-maple-fingerboa rd-in-vintage-blonde
Its amazing.

Just so nice makes all my other guitars past and present feel bad. Made in mexico, looks great, sounds great acoustic and amped up.

Just thought I would post this as if you are looking at the new fenders, well this model anyway, and thinking, might go vintage, is it any good, are the modern ones sounding feeling right.

YES YES YES.

Only one past or present near it is the Japan P Bass (CIJ) The Charvel Model 1 also is nice.

Anyway just a well done to Fender. And as a vintage synth/guitar head in general, well and truely shocked and please.[/b]
sduck
Oh yes - once you get past their cheaper models they make some really amazing instruments.
GovernorSilver
The new Eric Johnson Thinline Strat intrigues me.
Figures
I was seriously taken aback by the quality. Its a fantastic instrument.

Just didnt expect it, which always makes it better. Also I lucked out at half price ish, but a second hand 90s mex strat is same money and I have a tele which is 90s mex. NO COMPARISON to this beauty.
thispoison
Great players are great players (as guitars go I mean). I recall a number of guitar players scoffing at a MIJ 50th Anniversary Thinline I picked up in the 90’s.

Funny how often I’m offered more than I paid when I put it in for a setup every few years. Enjoy the quality and playability I say!!
Figures
thispoison wrote:
Great players are great players (as guitars go I mean).

Agreed but its made nicer and more inspiring by your instrument
thispoison
Apologies - I agree - I meant the "great player" as the guitar, not the ego wielding it!
Moog$FooL$
hit & miss.... mostly overpriced junk. just like Gibson. meh
Summa
I just got a Fender Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster for cheap and it's pretty amazing!

popvulture
I like almost all Fenders... the only ones I'm not really a fan of are the American Standards (though that name might have recently changed, not sure). It's really just a personal preference, but I really can't stand that sort of weird, plastic-y feeling matte finish they put on the necks.

I think the MIM models are f'n great (especially for the money), and the AVRI models are absolutely fantastic. Just as good as the Custom Shops if you ask me, albeit without the silly pre-distressing razz
GovernorSilver
Ron Thorn of Thorn Guitars announced today he accepted a Master Builder position with Fender and is thus retiring his own company:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/goodbye-thorn-guit ars-hello-fender-custom-shop.1936918/

Some nice Tele- and Strat-style guitars on his website:
http://www.thornguitars.com/
moremagic
Summa wrote:
I just got a Fender Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster for cheap and it's pretty amazing!

i got a squier vintage mod 60s jm (iirc the exact model) and yeah its a great one. not the same as playing a 58 but still very nice. i switched the tremolo out for a locking american jm trem, and put in a graphite nut and stringtrees like i always do, but it was just personalizing it. was already great when i got it

and it was cheaper than most of my modules! Miley Cyrus
moremagic
popvulture wrote:
without the silly pre-distressing razz
if i ever get to where im making guitars i think are nice enough to sell, im gonna pre distress all of em.
not majorly, just so none of my customers ever hafta worry about the first scratch hihi
felixer
well i have a bunch of chinese squires. and once i was thru souping 'm up (better pickup, tuning heads, nut, potmeters) they are really nice.
i wonder if these new ones have decent machine heads. i mean pickups are largely a matter of taste. but cheap machine heads is something nobody needs.
raylinds
Any opinions on where the best non-American strats are made? Mexico?
GovernorSilver
raylinds wrote:
Any opinions on where the best non-American strats are made? Mexico?

I'm guessing Japan. I believe the ones made until around 2015 are labeled CIJ, MIJ, In 2015, Fender took full control of the Japanese factory and apparently the Japanese guitars are now labeled "Japan Exclusive".
Rex Coil 7
I bought a (Squier ... I guess? ... says "Squier by Fender") Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 70s in clear coat. "Soft Maple" body. $329.

Since I began playing bass in 1991 I have owned about two dozen of them. 4,5,6 strings ... Ricks, Warwicks, Ps, Js, Carvins (especially good players them Carvins), Deans, and even a Cort. Price ranges from $3k to $300.

This bloody $329 J bass is a fantastic rock bass. The pickups are the shit ... so much so I added two more to it for a total of four pickups mounted in this bass. After going through all of those basses (and shit tons of bass processors and amps Ampeg VST with a 6x10 front ported cab down to my latest and most enjoyable setup which is a fully "modular" bass rig ... solid state PA power amps (Mackie 1,400 watt) and totally customized preamp system using mic preamps and graphic EQs.

After all of that, I'm down to the 70s Jazz bass and the Cort. The Cort 4 string is so well built and has such a "tight" muscular low end (body and neck are both solid maple with neck-through construction and active Bartolini preamp w/3 band EQ and soapbar pickups .. sucker weighs 13 pounds), and it plays SO well I'll never sell it. It was my 2nd bass, so it has outlived all of those names I dropped. The 70s Jazz does that whole rock bass trip in a most excellent fashion ... with the additional pickups I can honestly produce "Geddy" (with relative ease), rock P-bass such as Dave Hope of Kansas from their golden years, Chris Squire's Rick isn't hard to reach either.

Maybe I got lucky and rec'd an especially good one ... but after years of reading reviews and comments by other "Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass" owners I'm thinking it's just a bitchin bass ... plain and simple.

I also added a Hipshot "Kickass" bridge which is a vastly improved version of the old Leo Quan "Badass" bridge.

That thing is just plain and simple a player ... the stock pickups are some sort of licensed Seymour Duncans (they say "Duncan Design" on the pickups). They sound just great. So I bought a set of take-offs on eBay for $20 bucks shipped and added them to the two stockers that came with the bass. Now it is just a super fun bass to play and I can produce any 70s era rock bass sounds ... no fuss no muss.

The other Fender basses I've owned were no where near as good sounding or impressive and they cost a HELL of a lot more than my "bar fighter" Jazz. I mean, $329? Seriously?

I've only owned two other actual Fender guitars, a Tele and a Strat. The Tele was an especially sweet specimen but the Strat was not very nice. Both were Mexicans. I suppose like with any instrument made of wood it's a hit and miss situation regarding whether or not ownership is a positive or negative experience. Stories ranging from "Victory is mine!" to "Firewood!" abound regarding pretty much any guitar made by pretty much any mass producer. It comes down to that by-chance meeting of "someone special" ... be it guitars or human relationships.

thumbs up
GovernorSilver
Nice job on that bass!
GovernorSilver
As for me, the one Japanese Fender I owned was a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. At the time, one could pick up the USA Geddy Lee for $$$ or a Japanese Geddy Lee for $600.

I sold it to my buddy after my brief stint as a bassist in a band ended. I kind of miss it. Fine instrument for the money.
Rex Coil 7
GovernorSilver wrote:
Nice job on that bass!
Much obliged ... thumbs up
Figures
[quote="Rex Coil 7"]I bought a (Squier ... I guess? ... says "Squier by Fender") Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 70s in clear coat. "Soft Maple" body. $329.

Since I began playing bass in 1991 I have owned about two dozen of them. 4,5,6 strings ... Ricks, Warwicks, Ps, Js, Carvins (especially good players them Carvins), Deans, and even a Cort. Price ranges from $3k to $300.

This bloody $329 J bass is a fantastic rock bass. The pickups are the shit ... so much so I added two more to it for a total of four pickups mounted in this bass./quote]

Yea sort of my point. But not !
When I played bass weekly in a live band, I came to the precision via 4 or 5 other basses. When I found it I went through 4 or 5 precisions.
gozonoe
Summa wrote:

I recently played one of these and was very suprised at how nice it was. I would considering buying one and hot rodding it a bit.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1