MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

250e - Transposing Sequences
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author 250e - Transposing Sequences
REcDeso12oi
Do any of you know a simple way to transpose a sequence on the 250e with a 218? Similar to the way you would on an easel. For example if the C key is selected on the 218 and the sequence on the 250 is C,C,D,C, then on the 218 I touch the D key and now the sequence is D,D,E,D.

Sorry in advance if the question has an obvious solution or has already been covered (I searched). It seems the most logical way would be to plug the 218 into the Voltage in the external input, but when I do that and select 'vltg' it seems to replace the voltage with what I'm putting in vs adding to it.
Citisyn
One option is to use something like the 210e to mix the cv outputs of the 250 and the 218. Another, if your 218 has the latest firmware, is to use the internal MIDI bus. I’ve never done this myself, but the 218 manual explains how to set it up.
vgermuse
Just a quick piece of history: the easel oscillator is based on the Buchla 259 which has two discrete CV inputs for pitch. One labeled “keyboard” and one labeled “CV In” which has an attenuverter for scaling. The easel is similar in that it has “main” out of keyboard into “pitch” (lower left of 208) and another “pitch” on the oscillator with an attenuator slider. Thus, the keyboard can transpose the overall pitch while the other “pitch in” is receiving the fixed cv from the sequencer. I guess the question is: what oscillators are you sending the 250e to and do they have two discrete cv pitch inputs? Cheers!

REcDeso12oi
Thanks Citisyn! I dont have a 210e but the concept seems like it might work.

Vgermuse thanks for your thoughtful and thorough answer! I'm trying to use the 250 with a 261e and a 259e, so they only have the cv in, unless I can do something with the midi bus as Citisyn suggested.. you guys think that would work? Or any other ideas?

Thanks!
mritenburg
You can combine the output of the 250e with the 218 using a 256e. This will allow you to transpose sequences.
REcDeso12oi
mritenburg wrote:
You can combine the output of the 250e with the 218 using a 256e. This will allow you to transpose sequences.

Welp. I guess one more reason why I should buy a 256e. Sucks that you cant do that w/ a 257e (right?).. super curious about the dual-input voltage-controllable slew processors. Maybe one day Buchla USA will release a h version of those slew processors. Anyways, another topic for another thread.

Thanks everyone
mritenburg
REcDeso12oi wrote:
mritenburg wrote:

Welp. I guess one more reason why I should buy a 256e. Sucks that you cant do that w/ a 257e (right?).. super curious about the dual-input voltage-controllable slew processors. Maybe one day Buchla USA will release a h version of those slew processors. Anyways, another topic for another thread.

Thanks everyone

Yep, the voltage processors on the 257e lack the select channels.
Kent
REcDeso12oi wrote:
Thanks Citisyn! I dont have a 210e but the concept seems like it might work.

Vgermuse thanks for your thoughtful and thorough answer! I'm trying to use the 250 with a 261e and a 259e, so they only have the cv in, unless I can do something with the midi bus as Citisyn suggested.. you guys think that would work? Or any other ideas?

Thanks!

The 210e is the inferior (to put it generously) choice for mixing pitch CVs and other fixed CVs. It struggles to hold steady voltage values. See this post & thread for more info.
The latest firmware versions of the 256e processors are much better. Or go full analog with your voltage mixing.
Citisyn
Kent wrote:

The 210e is the inferior (to put it generously) choice for mixing pitch CVs and other fixed CVs. It struggles to hold steady voltage values. See this post & thread for more info.
The latest firmware versions of the 256e processors are much better. Or go full analog with your voltage mixing.

Hmm,I haven’t noticed any of the jitter mentioned in that thread, but the output is attenuated by a noticeable amount (about half a semitones per octave, if I recall). I’ve found a couple ways to compensate for that which work well enough for my needs, but you are correct that it’s not an ideal solution.
djangosfire
Kent wrote:
Or go full analog with your voltage mixing.

YES!

There are many ways to build a 250e sequencer patch that can be transposed.... that being said, a 254 or 254e or 256r or 257r will IMHO give you the repeatable and simple voltage transposition you are seeking. Good luck at any rate and with any path you choose - Adam
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1