MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Patch: Controlling Voltage (New Documentary Series)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Patch: Controlling Voltage (New Documentary Series)
grep
"This documentary focuses on the rapidly growing Modular Synthesis movement and the diverse group of artists using these machines to create soundscapes of emotionally charged content, as well manufacturers who are pushing the boundaries of sonic platforms with their creations. Our story presents to the public the emergence of thriving brick and mortar stores, intimate and attentive live venue performances, and the modular-driven compositions that are rapidly transforming the soundtracks of modern film and network productions. Capturing the creative process from patch to pulse will be the foundation of the film."

More information and links to teasers here:
https://www.patchcv.com/
s.l.o.w
Cool! Looking forward to more than just the intro teasers, though.
SCOOBA_TANK
Heck yes! I'm super excited for this. The film quality and approach is really impressive. I'm really looking forward to seeing this come to life.
captjrab
This rubs me the wrong way. Dont gentrify eurorack.
casualchinchilla
Been following this on Instagram.

Judging from the clips posted it seems to be well made.

I'm excited for it! What's the harm?
ignatius
they came to modular 8 a few times to interview various people. they're good peeps. nice set up. doing a nice job. they're eurorack users themselves.

not sure why anyone would object to a new modular documentary...

"gentrify eurorack" lol. you're joking right? that horse left the barn years ago.

it's pretty popular. i once saw a video on youtube.

edit: it's not all eurorack. they interviewed Todd barton about his history and buchla etc. really nice segment. they put part of it up in their previews.
lisa
captjrab wrote:
Dont gentrify eurorack.

Why not? Is this some kind of exclusive nerd club?

Imo it’s cool that many get into eurorack. More modules sold mean more manufacturers survive which means more modules invented. All fun and games. smile
captjrab
lisa wrote:
captjrab wrote:
Dont gentrify eurorack.

Why not? Is this some kind of exclusive nerd club?

Imo it’s cool that many get into eurorack. More modules sold mean more manufacturers survive which means more modules invented. All fun and games. smile

I’m sure the doc makers have good intentions and are cool people and I wish them success. In fact, Corey is a super nice guy and I respect his musicianship. I guess I see it as a no leaders no gatekeepers grass roots kinda thing, so I see the Eurorack thing as too broad and non-exclusive a nerd club than can be documented fairly and inclusively. The problem with a lot of documentaries is they can paint many first impressions and leave viewers coming away feeling “thats Eurorack”or “thats....whatever topic” when it only covers the defacto players.
Its ok tho, I dont expect anyone else here to get me and will now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
Aaronautical001
Excited to see the final work. Best of luck!
BenignToxicity
I'm not bothered by the so-called "gentrification". There will always be a massive cross-section of styles and approaches to modular synthesis... from the wonderful mess of home-made modules held together with duct tape and imagination, to the full Teutonic splendor of a ready-built Doepfer system (stopping off on the way with fully computerized modules that just happen to fit in a rack). In this way, modular is egalitarian and can be whatever you want it to be. What we all do is also incredibly diverse... from EDM to ambient to completely experimental and anywhere in between.

What does bother me is the "hipness" of a vinyl-only release. I understand that a large number of people regret the passing of vinyl and support the fact that it sounds better than anything digital. I understand its resurgence (although I do not subscribe to the theory myself). CD (16-bit, 44.1 kHz) was probably a fundamentally flawed standard that compromised fidelity for getting an hour of music on a CD. I absolutely agree that standard 128kHz mp3 files are an affront to anyone with critical ears... but now we can easily distribute 96kHz, 24-bit (or better) digital files where fidelity is important.

McLuhan gave us The medium is the message... and at the moment the message seems to be that retro is good (I should be typing this on an old Underwood typewriter I guess). Does vinyl sound different? Is it inherently better? ... or do we just miss full-sized cover art? (I know I do). However, I do not miss the inherent fragility of vinyl... accidents happen, however much you ritualize the playing of the platter.

I recently had a conversation with a rabid vinyl supporter... who then started extolling the virtues of cassettes as well... so... it's nothing about quality then? It's all about a rejection of digital distribution and the ownership of a physical thing that is inherently far less ephemeral? OK... I can actually get behind that...

... but vinyl only? Bloody hipsters smile
Dcramer
^pfff... 8 track cassette or bust I say!

There’s nothing quite so elegant as having your fav guitar solo cut in half by the dulcet tones of:

1. A quick fade out
2. An awkward clunk as the head shifts
3. A quick fade in

lol
oslin007
Wait a min... Ann Annie is a man (Eli Goldberg)!? You learn something everyday I guess.
RLK
FYI - When I navigated to the Vimeo Video of the
"SynthWitch", my computer did a hard crash.
Thought it might be coincidence - I navigated to the same video page once more - crashed again.
dkcg
Dcramer wrote:
^pfff... 8 track cassette or bust I say!

There’s nothing quite so elegant as having your fav guitar solo cut in half by the dulcet tones of:

1. A quick fade out
2. An awkward clunk as the head shifts
3. A quick fade in

lol

My favorite part is fast forwarding just to hear that one song again. thumbs up
JohnLRice
Seems like a cool project! thumbs up
Boneoh
I’m looking forward to seeing more hihi
cptnal
As a (hopefully) brief aside to BenignToxicity's point, I was reminded of something Fripp said about CDs. Back in the day when CD started taking off, record companies saw the opportunity to monetise their back-catalogues and just slung it all on the new medium with nary a consideration for its properties. So the reason CD has a reputation for being tinny or less faithful to the bass comes from the fact a lot of stuff was mastered for a medium that was inherently bassier. Of course, as soon as people began to realise they'd been conned, the record companies came up with a new rouse by packaging the stuff as "remasters", which is what they really should have done in the first place.

Anyway, "vinyl only" does come across as a pile of screaming hipster wank. At least give us a download option. seriously, i just don't get it
captjrab
cptnal wrote:
As a (hopefully) brief aside to BenignToxicity's point, I was reminded of something Fripp said about CDs. Back in the day when CD started taking off, record companies saw the opportunity to monetise their back-catalogues and just slung it all on the new medium with nary a consideration for its properties. So the reason CD has a reputation for being tinny or less faithful to the bass comes from the fact a lot of stuff was mastered for a medium that was inherently bassier. Of course, as soon as people began to realise they'd been conned, the record companies came up with a new rouse by packaging the stuff as "remasters", which is what they really should have done in the first place.

Anyway, "vinyl only" does come across as a pile of screaming hipster wank. At least give us a download option. seriously, i just don't get it

So the record companies made out selling a cheaper product (Cd) for more money, did a crappy job and then resold the same music remastered for even more profit and are now re releasing stuff in vinyl. Ha!

Reel to reel thumbs up
Tubeampguy
captjrab wrote:
This rubs me the wrong way. Dont gentrify eurorack.

I fully agree with you. thumbs up
sduck
Use this - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212608
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1