MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hanging up my patch cords...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Hanging up my patch cords...
mousegarden
I know you've heard this a million times before, from new, and not so new members, myself not excluded.
But I made a decision today to sell up, it's not a big deal, I've been thinking about it for ages. And it's just the right thing to do for me, I've explored the whole modular thing, and it's been very patchy, im not saying I haven't enjoyed it, it's been fun, and I'm not retiring from the scene.
I just need to concentrate on what is essentially me, and stop exploring/experimenting, it's wasting far too much time.
"Me" is basically a pianist, I love synthesisers, but I'm finding I gravitate more and more to the piano these days, and my keyboard synthesisers, I have all of my favourite sounds in them, and I have my Moog and Buchla for the times I need a real Synthesizer. I can work quicker and I can identify with synthesizers that are "self contained instruments". Modular is great for those that are prepared to put in major time, not only playing the thing, but assembling it too, a ready made synthesizer has already had those decisions made for us, but that suits me fine.
I shall be selling my whole modular 1 row at a time on BST, I can't handle more than that.

w00t Guinness ftw! thumbs up
Dcramer
Nooooooooooo mooooooooouuuuuuuuuuse woah

Ok, but only on one condition:

You have to stick around as our ‘resident pianist’ who chimes into threads and blathers on about synths not being real instruments and the only true instrument being the piano-forte.

It’ll be great fun for us as the newbies will have no idea. lol
thispoison
Concentrate on what makes you feel good Mouse. Although life is short, nothing is forever and you can always pick it back up from scratch should you reconsider in the future.

Piano is also great and well worth the effort! It's peanut butter jelly time!
AW198
Gonna miss seeing all your posts waah
Cybananna
As always, do what works for you. thumbs up w00t
luketeaford
Always enjoy having you on the forum, but do what is musically rewarding for you. Good luck with the piano!
wiperactive
mousegarden wrote:
... I've explored the whole modular thing, and it's been very patchy...

Tends to be that way... sorry couldn't resist.

Wish you well with your return to the keys mousegarden.
JohnLRice
A musician's gotta do what a musician's gotta do! cool

BUT! I STRONGLY suggest you keep at least a small system, the smallest you think might be useful. I say that because I tried to completely get out of having any eurorack something like 4 times, and then when I jumped back in I bought some of the same modules again, sometimes new at full price that I had previously sold at a discount. Dead Banana If you sell it all, you might at some point in the future start missing it and start buying again. I would have saved a lot of money if I had just seriously reduced and then put the case in the closet and moved on. Then once I got the bug again just pull it out again.

Maybe just a little drone box worth of stuff . . .a VCO or two, a LFO or other modulation source, one filter, and one VCA or mixer or similar? A drone box can be very fun and meditative piped through a delay and reverb pedal. Nice to play keyboards over the top of too. Om
Parnelli
Some days I'm a guitarist, others a keyboard player, and occasionally I'm a percussionist; I get bored easilly and have to change things up once and a while in order to stem the boredom. As of late I've really been wishing I had a great guitar, but alas, I sold them all a few years back.

The thing with modular for me is the never ending possibilities available; that keeps my mind busy enough to not dwell on lesser topics like guitar, in which I have pretty much reached my physical playing limitations.

Most of the time.

Damn I wish I had a nice guitar though!

Best of luck whatever you so!
mousegarden
JohnLRice wrote:
A musician's gotta do what a musician's gotta do! cool

BUT! I STRONGLY suggest you keep at least a small system, the smallest you think might be useful. I say that because I tried to completely get out of having any eurorack something like 4 times, and then when I jumped back in I bought some of the same modules again, sometimes new at full price that I had previously sold at a discount. Dead Banana If you sell it all, you might at some point in the future start missing it and start buying again. I would have saved a lot of money if I had just seriously reduced and then put the case in the closet and moved on. Then once I got the bug again just pull it out again.

Maybe just a little drone box worth of stuff . . .a VCO or two, a LFO or other modulation source, one filter, and one VCA or mixer or similar? A drone box can be very fun and meditative piped through a delay and reverb pedal. Nice to play keyboards over the top of too. Om

Thanks John, I'm thinking of keeping just one 84 box, but honestly, I'm looking at my studio now without the modular, and, it's actually quite refreshing, it's a bit like ending a relationship with a lover who you know is ultimately bad for you, but you can't get up enough courage to say pack your bags and go. And keeping 84hp is like keeping a couple of her dresses and a pair of her shoes...
listentoaheartbeat
AW198 wrote:
Gonna miss seeing all your posts waah

I am sure mousegarden will keep us posted about how much he misses his modular once it is sold.
cretaceousear
Don't go Mousegarden! Make sure you send lots of postcards from wherever you are .. and mixer questions won't stop surely?
Seems like you're in a way better place than you were 4 years ago - well done thumbs up
DSC
Good luck with your future en-devours! I too am going to take a long break. I'm not selling any of it, but I figure I did a solid five years into it and now it's time to focus on other things. Namely Saxophone and metal guitar. So I won't be around as much either.

You might keep 'one pair of her shoes'. And occasionally click the heels together and say, "there's no place like home... no place like home."
dubonaire
I think being able to sit down at the piano and play well in a house in the country must be a wonderful place to be.
HighLordFixer
switch "gears" for little while...
follow your inspirations
listen for inner voice
get passionately creative
in the here and now
one day at a time
you may come full circle someday in the future
don't lose your patchchords
just in case
facklr
HighLordFixer wrote:

you may come full circle someday in the future

hihi
pre55ure
If your keeping the Buchla then you'll still have to keep on here.
I mean seriously, your like 80% of the way to your 10,000 post.
Aren't you curious what happens then?

If you try hard I'd bet you get there in a month.
hihi
zengomi
Respect to you, mousegarden, for coming to a decision based on self-awareness. Make the music that matters.

After listening and watching Duet For Modular Synth & Prepared Piano, I see a baby grand piano as an ideal companion to my modular system.
mousegarden
dubonaire wrote:
I think being able to sit down at the piano and play well in a house in the country must be a wonderful place to be.

Dub, it is, I think my waning interest in synth technology started back in London when I bought that Kawai piano, I rediscovered how enjoyable it was to just open the lid and play, no explorations, no learning curves.
Having my girlfriends grand piano down here is even better, and being able to play and look out at the Mognolias and birds in the garden is something that I consider myself extremely lucky to able to appreciate.
Honestly, I can count the number of hours I've spent recording and playing my synths on the fingers of one hand, even less for my modular.
I'm going to do an MA in contemporary music at Canterbury uni, I'm also going to continue my piano grades, not for any other reason than to give me something to do and keep my mind active.
On a bit of a tangent, someone sent me a photograph of my old flat in London a couple of days ago, it was very upsetting, the Judas tree in my garden that I fought so hard to get a preservation order on has been cut down by the property developer who bought our house. I know it sounds silly, but it's really knocked me sideways, that tree held so many memories for me, it's like having an arm chopped off, and I felt I was it's guardian and caretaker, I left, now it's gone.
This event has really made me look at everything in my life, my musical equipment too, everything, it all seems so irrelevant, and that's why I'm selling up and slimming down, to the things that really matter to me. If something like that happens it ricochets through my whole life, material possessions have always made me feel insecure, especially in times of crisis.
But I'm so glad I bought my Easel, that is a great instrument, my Moog too, they feel great alongside the piano!
I may keep 84 HP of modules, but I'm not sure yet.
dubonaire
mousegarden wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

Dub, it is, I think my waning interest in synth technology started back in London when I bought that Kawai piano, I rediscovered how enjoyable it was to just open the lid and play, no explorations, no learning curves.
Having my girlfriends grand piano down here is even better, and being able to play and look out at the Mognolias and birds in the garden is something that I consider myself extremely lucky to able to appreciate.
Honestly, I can count the number of hours I've spent recording and playing my synths on the fingers of one hand, even less for my modular.
I'm going to do an MA in contemporary music at Canterbury uni, I'm also going to continue my piano grades, not for any other reason than to give me something to do and keep my mind active.
On a bit of a tangent, someone sent me a photograph of my old flat in London a couple of days ago, it was very upsetting, the Judas tree in my garden that I fought so hard to get a preservation order on has been cut down by the property developer who bought our house. I know it sounds silly, but it's really knocked me sideways, that tree held so many memories for me, it's like having an arm chopped off, and I felt I was it's guardian and caretaker, I left, now it's gone.
This event has really made me look at everything in my life, my musical equipment too, everything, it all seems so irrelevant, and that's why I'm selling up and slimming down, to the things that really matter to me. If something like that happens it ricochets through my whole life, material possessions have always made me feel insecure, especially in times of crisis.
But I'm so glad I bought my Easel, that is a great instrument, my Moog too, they feel great alongside the piano!
I may keep 84 HP of modules, but I'm not sure yet.

Everything is relevant, but ultimately impermanent, including material possessions.

A few nights ago I was in Turkish Airlines lounge in Istanbul, I was profoundly tired. In that lounge there is a grand piano, and around midnight someone sat down at it and played this. I'd never heard it before. I cried. Beautiful, and maybe the sound of loss.

listentoaheartbeat
mousegarden wrote:

Great example of how change – as disruptive as it may seem at first – always bears potential for wonderful times and places.
Dcramer
As they say
“You can’t wiggle home...again” waah
cptnal
"Patchy" - I see what you did there. hihi

But seriously, man. Love n hugs. Keep in touch. Hug
captjrab
You’ll be back twisted
monads
captjrab wrote:
You’ll be back twisted

Yup, he sure will!! hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5