MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

"Final production batch of the original Z-DSP modules&q
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author "Final production batch of the original Z-DSP modules&q
mateo
Spotted on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/officialtiptopaudio/photos/a.1427695614138654 .1073741827.1420203551554527/2019731268268416/?type=3&theater

That sounds to me like a new version is on it's way...
mateo
No reactions/speculations to this news? A comment on the post by tiptop seems to confirm a new version is on it's way
Hovercraft
There's been some rumors of a new, smaller Z-DSP for some time. Some of the features I'd like to see:

--significantly smaller
--slots for multiple cards
--card storage
--adjustable internal clock, so you don't need an external osc to lower the clock rate
--a set high quality on-board algos
mateo
Agreed with most of those, but I'm not sure how they could make it significantly smaller without removing some existing functionality, as it's quite packed with jacks and knobs. And most of the features you mention would take up additional panel space.
bkbirge
Unless they manage to load it with a Lexi 480 and make it half the size I don't see how they could improve it enough to make me upgrade. My guess is the card tech is getting a little long in the tooth and being phased out for something newer from their suppliers.
ignatius
hopefully everything remains compatible. would suck if new cards won't work in existing Zdsp.
letitbleep
making it single channel (or mono in, dual out) could reduce the size. or stereo in/out with one set of controls for both channels. the way that stereo is handled in the current module/cards is not ideal imho.
NathansModular
I hope it gets bigger and badder rather than smaller and sleaker.
Hovercraft
I think we can count on it being smaller, and having some sort of backwards compatibility with the algorithm cards. If it were my decision, I’d drop the analog feedback circuit-it takes up half the module, and you can always set up feedback with external modules. Would also drop the sequential program control-not something I find that useful for the space it takes.
ignatius
in the FB comments someone says it'll be compatible w/current cards and new cards will be compatible w/current Zdsp. will wait for confirmation from tiptop though.
nimmen
Good to hear that new cards will be compatible, so I'm assuming they will use same fv-1 dsp chip, which is rather old, but sounds pretty ok.
mdoudoroff
Why they would EOL the existing Z-DSP cards unless the card form factor was physically changing or the underlying software platform (chip/API) was changing? Neither would bode well for backwards compatibility.
loydb
I own three, so am probably not the audience for a new one, but it's really good to hear it's going to be both forward and backward compatible (if that's not just a rumor).
Citizen Klaus
mdoudoroff wrote:
Why they would EOL the existing Z-DSP cards unless the card form factor was physically changing or the underlying software platform (chip/API) was changing? Neither would bode well for backwards compatibility.

Wait, are the existing cards actually being EOL'ed, or is this just a hypothetical?
bkbirge
mdoudoroff wrote:

Could be some other component is reaching EOL, like maybe the display or driver chips associated with it. And with the trend in euro to go ever more dense and trim they might have decided a full interface redesign was a good bet?

Citizen Klaus wrote:

Wait, are the existing cards actually being EOL'ed, or is this just a hypothetical?

Hypothetical, just musing on what might be driving the change.
Hovercraft
nimmen wrote:
Good to hear that new cards will be compatible, so I'm assuming they will use same fv-1 dsp chip, which is rather old, but sounds pretty ok.

The Spin FV-1 is old, but it still has some life. Module makers continue to use the FV-1, and there's some great algos out there. Recently got a Folktek Alter 1, and it has high quality, creative effects. The benchmark is Sean Costello's Halls of Valhalla and Shimmer cards--mind blowing quality out of the FV-1.
JoeFuture
I'd also like to see the new version not clip audio so easily. I assume that's a common issue with them. I recently bought a used one, and although it's large, clipping is my only issue with it so far.
Hidden_Path
Looks like a fuzzy image of the new one here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhmI1XCggP1/?hl=en

Not super keen on the new yellow/green scheme they got going on, but curious what new features are in store.
mateo
Looks like the same panel layout, updated to the new color scheme. Perhaps there arr some hardware changes though
Kodama
They could reduce the size by taking out the stereo controls and using a higher res, smaller screen.
Hovercraft
JoeFuture wrote:
I'd also like to see the new version not clip audio so easily. I assume that's a common issue with them. I recently bought a used one, and although it's large, clipping is my only issue with it so far.

That's more of an FV-1, or general effects issue--you always have to be careful with gain staging.
Junk Rhythm
It doesn't look like a new or smaller module. Fresh paint job to bring it in line with the current look and the newer jacks using the plastic colored nuts. With the jack change, perhaps it's 3mm shallower than the original.

MATSmile
Junk Rhythm wrote:
It doesn't look like a new or smaller module. Fresh paint job to bring it in line with the current look and the newer jacks using the plastic colored nuts. With the jack change, perhaps it's 3mm shallower than the original.

not this shit again
Hovercraft
Tonefloat01
So no update then... just the color change?
No new features or new cards announced? sad banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2