MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ajax Cecilia
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Ajax Cecilia
Moon Indigo
http://ajaxsoundstudio.com/software/cecilia/

I can't find a substantive post on this software. I have been playing with it, and it is excellent. I am running it through Loopback into Ableton Live. It is a real; time sample mangler with effects.

It's user friendly, reasonably stable, and the mangling capacity is outstanding - especially on the granular front. Modulations can be automated in a very friendly way too. THe closest thing I have seen is Gleetchlab.

I am surprised there is so little enthusiasm for this online.

Any one else using this?

I encourage everyone to try this. (You need to install Python first, but that is very little hassle).
smuff
Been using it for years love it, although I mostly use it for off line processing. Glad it is getting some love. Best of luck.

It used to be written in C and you could hack the processes (alter ranges etc) quite easily. If you knew C you could write your own. Not sure if you can do that anymore although I am sure I read somewhere that it was going back to being written in C...

Best

S
Exiannyc
Wow that looks amazing. As does Soundgrain. I'll check it out. Thanks!
Moon Indigo
smuff wrote:
Been using it for years love it, although I mostly use it for off line processing. Glad it is getting some love. Best of luck.

It used to be written in C and you could hack the processes (alter ranges etc) quite easily. If you knew C you could write your own. Not sure if you can do that anymore although I am sure I read somewhere that it was going back to being written in C...

Best

S

Good to hear!

This now is very usable in real time - no need to run offline.

I know no C, unfortunately.
Moon Indigo
Exiannyc wrote:
Wow that looks amazing. As does Soundgrain. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Enjoy! It's free and open source, so go crazy. It's perfectly possible to use Loopback to run it through a DAW on OSX, as I said.

Would love to see this as a VST or AU.
Exiannyc
Hi, I am working my way through the installation process on Windows 10 and I'll post my notes in case they help anybody else...

I edited this post

To install Cecilia 5 on Windows 7-10, click the link that says "Windows 7-10"

Install

Launch

Load up a sound file

Enjoy transforming it.

All that stuff after "To run Cecilia 5 from sources"... just ignore it.

Amazing.

Edit the automation curves, press PLAY, enjoy.

Press the "arrows" button to use what you just did as your new sound source.

I think you click "Bounce to disk" to render the sound file.

Yes, it's an amazing set of tools.
Moon Indigo
Exiannyc wrote:
Hi, I am working my way through the installation process on Windows 10 and I'll post my notes in case they help anybody else...

I installed python 3.6 easily

From the command prompt I ran

pip install -U wxPython

then

python -m pip install --upgrade pip

These didn't work at first, then I reinstalled python and requested (1) install pip and (2) change the PATH something something (sorry, the details are lost in my faulty neurons)

Then it worked

pyo seems easy to install with the setup.exe (choose the python 3.6 version)

To install the NumPy module, run this at the command prompt

python -m pip install --user numpy

Then, to run Cecilia, you can just double click the shortcut on your desktop - you don't have to launch by typing

cd /path/to/cecilia5

and

python3 Cecilia5.py

as it says on the Cecilia website.

OK then. Now onward to the adventure of configuring... for which we'll have to actually read the documentation.

To be continued cool

Look forward to hearing how you find it!
Exiannyc
Hi Moon Indigo, I've solved all my mysteries

Thanks!

Christian
Moon Indigo
Exiannyc wrote:
Hi Moon Indigo, I've run into some mysteries

I installed all the components, and Soundgrain, and Soundgrain works fine, but Cecilia gives errors whenever I try to run amodule.

When the webpage says

"Then, in a terminal window, go to the cecilia5 folder and launch the program:

cd /path/to/cecilia5
python3 Cecilia5.py"

Does that mean a Windows command prompt, or a e-pyo terminal window, or some other terminal window?

I have used Supercollider and I know how to evaluate code there but I don't know how to make the e-pyo examples evaluate or run.

Just double clicking on the Cecilia5 icon on my desktop doesn't seem to start things up correctly.

Also, Cecilia always says that the server is not booted. And e-pyo says the server is not booted. So I'm missing something.

Do you have any advice? It looks really intriguing but I just don't know how to make it run. Thanks.

Christian

Sorry but I can’t help! I’m on a Mac and had no problems. Good luck getting this going smile
Exiannyc
Hi everybody, I did this the unnecessarily hard way

Just download "Download Cecilia 5.3.5" for your operating system

Install

Enjoy

You don't even have to select an audio player or a text editor

Just load a sound file and start messing with it. Enjoy.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1