MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

AJH Synths Modules quality
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author AJH Synths Modules quality
Handmedown
What do those who have AJH Synths modules think of the build quality and long life? I had 2 Mini Mod VCO's die within six months of each other. Is this normal or is it just bad luck on my part?
DDJ
I had one of the VCO’s begin to fail (wouldn’t track past one octave) after about a year. The sent me a replacement pretty quickly. All three are working great now.
MARK27
Handmedown wrote:
What do those who have AJH Synths modules think of the build quality and long life? I had 2 Mini Mod VCO's die within six months of each other. Is this normal or is it just bad luck on my part?

That's strange. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say anything negative about AJH build quality. I have a number of their modules and I'd say they are built better than most. I've never had any issues.

I'd be curious to find out what happened with your VCO's and why they might have failed.
matttech
Only ever had one very slight issue (calibration discrepancy between two vcfs) in over 3 years of selling them.
Muse FTW
I owned 3 of their Mini Mod VCO's (lovely sound, sold them due to rack constraints) and 1 of the 3 had slight tuning instability. The other 2 would stay relatively in tune, but the 3rd was more susceptible to going out of tune. AJH people fixed it no problem.
Handmedown
MARK27 wrote:
Handmedown wrote:

That's strange. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say anything negative about AJH build quality. I have a number of their modules and I'd say they are built better than most. I've never had any issues.

I'd be curious to find out what happened with your VCO's and why they might have failed.

One of them completely quit making any noise at all and the other would change frequency very audibly by itself even after warming up. My other two are fine so far (crosses fingers). I do love the sound of them though.
Handmedown
Muse FTW wrote:
I owned 3 of their Mini Mod VCO's (lovely sound, sold them due to rack constraints) and 1 of the 3 had slight tuning instability. The other 2 would stay relatively in tune, but the 3rd was more susceptible to going out of tune. AJH people fixed it no problem.

Yep I had the same tuning instability.
intuitionnyc
I can't speak for VCO's, but I picked up the Gemini Filter and Phaser recently and both are really nice build quality. I haven't had any issues.
indexofmetals
I've had 6 vco's since 2015 and never had a problem with any of them. I've got nearly 20 other AJH modules and all worked perfectly since I bought them.

In my experience, AJH has great customer service and respond to emails quickly.
JoeFuture
I've had 3x VCO's and a ladder filter for nearly a year now, and they're all working great. I notice they take a solid 15 minutes to warm up and stabilize, but that usually passes quickly enough.
knotakt
Handmedown wrote:
MARK27 wrote:
Handmedown wrote:

One of them completely quit making any noise at all and the other would change frequency very audibly by itself even after warming up. My other two are fine so far (crosses fingers). I do love the sound of them though.

Can you expand on this "change frequency very audibly by itself" issue? Did this happen over time or from new?

Also did you get new modules?
matttech
I sold one customer 16 of these (or was it 20...?) and he had them all tracking perfectly in unison!
droningsphagettimonster
matttech wrote:
I sold one customer 16 of these (or was it 20...?) and he had them all tracking perfectly in unison!

eek!
melodydad
eek! indeed! woah even!
DDJ
matttech wrote:

Ya. I want to hear/see that please.
presidentofvice
I have 2 VCOs, the filter and envelopes. One of the VCOs I've had since they first were released. Never any problems here.
Jenseits
FWIW: (NOT AJH's fault w00t )
Yesterday i received a B-Stock AJH VCO from a big retailer.
The package must have been dropped on the way to me.
Scale pot and Octave pots on the back were bent and you could see the dents they left in the original box.
Otherwise it looked absolutely ok.

Installed it. Sounded absolutely fantastic. Wanted a 'meaty' analog vco. I already had high expectations and the were exceeded by far!

Then the problems sad banana (resulting from the drop i'm absolutely sure...):
Using the octave switch didn't switch in octaves but a much smaller interval.

Ok. Pots are glued. I don't mind. I adjusted octave (although the manual wants you to stay away from it) and it worked absolutely fine. Rockin' Banana!
Scale (v/oct) was also slightly off. So i adjusted that too... The arturia keystep and a tuner is a good tool for that. CV's on the keystep are just 1mV off and it's the same over all ovtaves.

After an hour of sheer bliss i recognized that the pitch of the VCO wobbled (in a very small range) and in random intervals.
I checked/disconnected nearby lfos, cables, wiggled pots, without v/oct cable. Still wobbling... hmmm.....

After 2 hours i thought: "There is that trimpot the manual says to not even dare to think about touching it. Give that one a wiggle to see if it changes that behaviour." screaming goo yo
I didnt even turn it but just touched it with the screw driver aaaaannnnd....
Problem solved. Propably it was a static somewhere?

Summary:

Sound:
Fantastic! My other major VCO is the Erica Black VCO which i like and wanted a second one to accompany it. The feature set of the AJH VCO is perfect for that.
Now i got 2 vcos each with multiple classic waveforms, octave switches, sync, fm, pwm (especially exp/lin fm on the AJH, attenuator for PWM, soft and hard sync...)
A/B'ed unfiltered - i can't recognize that much of a difference between the two but as soon as i start with basic filtering with an envelope: the difference is huge (much bigger than expected).
The AJH sounds so much more "musical/warm/meaty/lively/interesting". I love it love
The two in unison is sheer bliss to my ears.

Build quality:
The AJH vco looks so much better than any pic i saw online (and i saw them all Om ). None of the pics does it justice!
It feels heavy and is perfectly build from what i can tell. The pots feel good but especially the octave switch is pure pleasure to use!
The problems i had have nothing to do with AJH and their quality.

But:
The trim pots on the back are there for a reason and to glue them (all) is not necessary imho.
Also the manual tells me to stay away from 4 of the 5 pots. That is too defensive.
The manual could explain the handling/purpose of the pots and be more specific on what's ok and what's not.
And if for example the HFT and SHAPE pots shall not be touched than the manual could tell just that.
But to say "just stay away from octave/tune/scale" is too much for my taste.
It would be better to give explanation for experienced users and explicitely warn unexperienced users.

In the end this is just a very minor suggestion compared to this wonderful module! Feature set, sound and build quality is amazing!

Potential is in the manual and as someone sad here:
Marketing. This module/series is not just for recreating a minimoog which it can do amazingly well.
It should be more like: "simply one of the best, fattest analog vcos in eurorack. Perfect for creating rich vintage analog vibes or something completely different to your taste."
Dancing Star
ben_hex
DDJ wrote:
matttech wrote:

Ya. I want to hear/see that please.

Can’t find the link but it was in a synth solo on a Christmas song!
cackland
Just wish AJH would release a smaller HP version.
Blingley
cackland wrote:

Oh no.

The "2hp maximum" crowd is attacking the last bastions of usable modules. lol
dmod
I bought one of the very first(maybe second) AJH complete Minimod systems. I have also added everything that has come out and I have never had one issue what so ever so I find that strange there are problems with them? They seem extremely well built compared to many others I have seen and own. Just my 2c.
dmod
cackland wrote:
Sorry but lol give me a friction brake man. It is a vintage Minimoog clone. I love that he did not cut any corners and stuck to his passion of making the real deal discrete 'old school' style schematics. That is what makes these great! Dream on 2HP sucks there are plenty of other modules for you out there.
MindMachine
Early AJH VCA buyer here. Solid all around with no function or build issues.

Looking at the Wave Swarm pretty hard... squinting... waiting.
cackland
dmod wrote:
cackland wrote:
Sorry but lol give me a friction brake man. It is a vintage Minimoog clone. I love that he did not cut any corners and stuck to his passion of making the real deal discrete 'old school' style schematics. That is what makes these great! Dream on 2HP sucks there are plenty of other modules for you out there.

Personal preference mate... don't have a single 2HP in my system

PS.. Friction brake? Is this the new lingo for 'Friggin Break'?
peripatitis
Could one brake without friction?
That is the real question here..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2