MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-8 + ES-6: Lost channels
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-8 + ES-6: Lost channels
Ludvigk
Hi,

Channel 5 and 6(9 and 10 out of the total if you count the ES-8 inputs as well) on my ES-6 isn't available anymore. Not sure what have happened but i can't choose them as inputs anymore in the Input Config in Ableton 10. I've done several restarts of the system but issue still remains.

Any thoughts on how to solve this?

EDIT: I use Ableton 10 on a Mac.
os
How does the ES-8 appear in macOS's Audio MIDI Setup?
Ludvigk
Below are two screenshots from the Audio/Midi Setup. I can only choose between 8 or 12 channels. If i choose 12ch the two last channels on the Es-6 are still ignored by Live, however i can still choose to route audio from them but they are dead silent. :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oycfb3zsuwv9m01/AbletonLive-ES-8%201.png?dl= 0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1rd4qwtzwiap40/AbletonLive-ES-8%202.png?dl= 0
os
How do you know they're silent if you can't choose them in the DAW?
Ludvigk
If i change to 12ch in, in the OSx Audio Midi Setup I can choose channel 5 and 6(9/10) as inputs in Live but they are silent when i route audio to them in the modular. There's still only 8 channels that actually has audio.
os
So it could just be that the ES-6's two inputs have died?
Ludvigk
That's what i'm afraid of.. but the lights on the ES-6 Ch5-6 are reacting when signals are patched to them but they're still silent in Ableton.

I can create a video of this if that would help?
os
I'm not sure a video would help.

The LEDs reacting doesn't mean much - that happens right at the start of the signal chain, independently of the audio being digitised and sent out as ADAT.

Are the inputs exactly silent in Live, or do they still have the DC offsets that you normally get on ES-6 inputs?
Ludvigk
Yeah, exactly silent, all other channels have the DC offset.
os
OK. If it's a hardware fault it's not one I've seen before, but we seem to be out of ideas. Do you want to send it over for me to check?
Ludvigk
Thank you very much for taking your time!

I'll test the modules on another system and see if it the behaviour persists, if it does i'll send it to you.

These issues started when I upgraded to the latest OSx, i'm wondering if it might be some compatability issues there?
Ludvigk
Ok. So i think i've manage to solve the issue but it's still a bit weird.

The kHz settings in the the OSx Midi/Audio settings need to be 12ch 44.1kHz, the samplerate need to be the same in Ableton's audio settings for the ES-6 so use all of its input channels.

When I increase the samplerate in both midi/audio settings and Ableton i gradually lose channels on the ES-6. To the extent that if I switch to 96kHz I can only get input audio from the ES-8.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1