MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Replacing the frequency pot on the Polivoks VCF?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Replacing the frequency pot on the Polivoks VCF?
whyterabbyt
Anyone know if this is straightforward? Ive discovered Ive got a dead spot in mine, cuts the sound completely.

Havent looked yet to see if its an easily-sourced part, would anyone know that?

Cheers.
Baddcr
Silly question, are you sure you're not just cutting all the frequencies out that you're sending into it?

Otherwise this sounds broken, not sure if it would be the pot or some other component failure that is causing it.

Perhaps reach out to Scott for some advice?
whyterabbyt
Baddcr wrote:
Silly question, are you sure you're not just cutting all the frequencies out that you're sending into it?

Yes. When I say dead spot I mean that, no matter what gets fed into the input, when the pot is rotated through the same specific part of its physical rotation the output is cut completely.
When the point rotates through the 'edges' of the dead area, there is crackling typical of a 'noisy' or 'scratchy' pot.
At all other points on the rotation outside that area , audio will be properly filtered, low pass or bandpass mode.
In comparison, voltage-controlled sweeping of the same effective frequency range has no such dropout.

Quote:
Otherwise this sounds broken, not sure if it would be the pot or some other component failure that is causing it.

Im pretty sure its the pot; dirt and track damage etc are known to cause dead spots, exactly the same as they can cause crackly pots. And because the filter responds properly to CV.
Baddcr
okies smile

Three options I guess, send it to Scott, DIY, find someone else who will fix it.

If you go DIY I suggest cutting all the legs before trying to desolder them so you are just working on one leg at a time. Copper wicking braid works well.

I don't know the part but it will likely be B10K, B50K or similar, the rating is usually printed on one edge.

Good luck!!
whyterabbyt
Yeah, it'll probably be DIY, that's pretty much why I was wondering if I coud find the pot type and replace like-for-like.
Cheers on the advice about cutting the pot legs off first, I hadnt thought of that.
Baddcr
Did you do this whyterabbyt?

I am really interested to hear how you get on smile
whyterabbyt
Baddcr wrote:
Did you do this whyterabbyt?

I am really interested to hear how you get on smile

sorry, missed this.

not done it yet, no.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1