MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

H E A D P H O N E S
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author H E A D P H O N E S
boe_dye
Lately I've noticed that my Audio Technica m50's are sounding a bit beat, and when I bought them, it was said that they were the best "producer" headphones around. However I'm curious what others use and what other options there might be.

General Need:

- Monitoring while recording.
- Monitoring while playing live
- Something to listen through late at night so I don't wake my wife up at 2 in the morning.

I typically output everything through a Pittsburgh Modular Outs, into a Sonic Port VX and then into my iPhone. It yields surprisingly good results for recording, however I noticed that the audio quality uploaded to youtube sounds significantly better than it does when I'm listening to it while recording.

Here's a sample of what I am typically doing -- thanks!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33A0HDNZeMU&t=9s
Reality Checkpoint
My suggestion would be the Sony MDR 7506. A great range, fairly detailed, comfy and cheap!
sandettie
Here to second the MDR 7506's. Affordable, well made, great sound.
lisa
I use Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO. Have had them for about ten years now. Comfortable and closed/quiet (great when the studio is in the livingroom smile). They give a fairly true reading of the sound but I would never do a final mix using them or any other headphones.
abelovesfun
Another vote for the 7506. The best thing about them is that they have been, and likely will be around forever. The most important thing about your phones is that you know how things sound in them. Being able to listen to various things through your phones for 20 years (as long as I've been using them) gives you a great "feeling" for how things translate in your phones.
Futuresound
I have used BeyerDynamic DT990s for years. They sound great, and are very comfortable.

But I recently dug out my old 7506s, and I may well switch back to using them. They don't sound as 'good' but I think they may offer a more brutally honest window into a mix. Or maybe they just make you work harder to get something sounding good.

So yes, 7506s would be my vote.
Dragonaut
Thrilled with my AKG K712s. You can find a good deal on them if you look around. If bass is important to you I would highly recommend them.
luchog
Reality Checkpoint wrote:
My suggestion would be the Sony MDR 7506. A great range, fairly detailed, comfy and cheap!

I'm using the slightly older MDR-V600 model. Similar sound quality, but with an extended bass response, optimized for DJ use. Some people complained that they sound muddy, but I've never gotten that impression. Picked them up new in '05 for just under $70 on Amazon, and they still sound great.

You can't touch a beat up used pair for under $100 now, and generally they tend to go for closer to $200 in new condition. I've seen them sell NIB for over $400. Someone has a NIB pair listed on Amazon right now for $889.95, which is utterly ridiculous.
luchog
mispost
Mashmore
Im loving my Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro's. Semi closed and very comfortable. The low ends are very nice and clean.
dooj88
no votes for Sennheisers? very surprising.

i've got a pair of HD598s and the are the most comfortable pair of phones i've ever owned. they are crystal clear while maintaining some bit of warmth, and don't go crazy on the bass. i bought them because they don't impart minimal character onto the sound.

they are open cans though, so unless you are bleeping and blooping at full blast in bed next to your wife, no one will hear it. i find open less acoustically claustrophobic, somehow they feel more spacious in the right envirnment. but if you've got kids or someone likes keeping the tv on you may opt for closed phones.

edit, ah the live bit, probably want closed.
sduck
Reality Checkpoint wrote:

Me too! I've had these for like 30 years. In and out of studios, tour buses, nearly daily use at home, they do it all. I'm on my second pair, but would probably still be using the first ones if I'd known you could replace the foam surrounds.
estin
akg 240 MkII's for me. Big dollar music has never sounded more "meh"
leeski
Been using these as i have Beyers and sony's which are super cool but these work
DiscoDevil
The Sony's are great. I use a pair of MDR-V600s for DJing but in the studio I use Senn HD-650s.
gonkulator
You haven't stated a budget, so here is a range. These I own or have owned. I assume you want closed and durable (and accurate.)

Sennheiser HD 280 pro vs Sony 7506: Same price range, The Senns seal better and sound more accurate, but the Sonys are easier to handle and more durable.

Sennheiser HD 380 pro: really tight seal (headbang to your heart's delight,) more durable than the 280s

The AT m50s are still a good choice. Good all around.

Shure SRH940: Comfortable, easy to handle, accurate sound, not as durable as some (about the same as the HD280) but nice, accurate sound, maybe a bit slanted toward the highs.

There are lots of others you should consider, given your requirements. Of the ones above, if I could have only one, it would probably be the Shures. I can repair it if it breaks, that is the only downside for me.
Rost + Licht
Another vote for the Sony MDRs. I use a 7510 and the sound is flat enough for producing/monitoring but still enjoyable to listen to music, movies or games. I've the impression that they work esp. well with voices. The difference to my Yamaha HS7 Monitors is big and they sound alot more detailed and smooth.

For the price they are bang for buck. Only downside for me is that they are slightly to big for carrying outside.
Michael O.
7506 is the ns-10m of headphones- meets all your criteria, cheap, durable, and they’re somewhat midrange-forward (or so they sound, never measured) which I find makes them ideally suited for monitoring. As a bonus they’re very consistent between pairs and can be found in pretty much any studio. While they’re not the be all and end all of high fidelity you won’t regret getting a pair.
hsosdrum
Contrary to what others have said, the most important quality of a set of headphones is comfort. After all, it doesn't matter how good a set of headphones sounds if it's uncomfortable and you won't wear it.

I can't make a personal headphone recommendation, since the only time I ever use headphones is when I'm tracking my acoustic drums along with previously-recorded tracks. For playing and tracking synthesizer and in-the-box instruments I use speakers 100% of the time. For mixing I use up to 5 different sets of speakers.
leftbracket
estin wrote:
akg 240 MkII's for me. Big dollar music has never sounded more "meh"

Seconded.
Krankenwagen
Anyone got any recommendations for Bluetooth monitor headphones?
I like to eagle when I wiggle. screaming goo yo
pix
I got KRK 8400 headphones and they sound really good.

I also recommend a good headphone amplifier. This one sounds much better than its price suggests.

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/?gc lid=Cj0KCQjwh7zWBRCiARIsAId9b4qncpkKbKIvcPjNCKj81VBbyq_H8anGeIMYEovDr8 vpQu5wOnqsevsaAp81EALw_wcB
Blairio
dooj88 wrote:
no votes for Sennheisers? very surprising.

i've got a pair of HD598s and the are the most comfortable pair of phones i've ever owned. they are crystal clear while maintaining some bit of warmth, and don't go crazy on the bass. i bought them because they don't impart minimal character onto the sound.

I have been using Sennheiser HD25's for about 8 years. They are neutral, go loud enough and are serviceable - you can change the lead and get spares for them.

They paired wonderfully with my Focusrite VRM box.. until Apple decided to upgrade MacOs X and overnight my VRM box, Printer and audio interface became expensive paper weights. Thanks Apple.

In general (and like loudspeakers) there are 'phones optimised for listening to music on, and 'phones optimised for producing music with. For me the HD25's cover the middle ground pretty well. As with loudpeakers though, personal preference and Confirmation Bias speak louder than specifications.
listentoaheartbeat
You needed those caps, didn't you? razz

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62450
Technologear?
I have a pc-step and a rock from here:
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/
Using beyerdynamic dt770 250ohm.
They're comfortable and sound 'good' to me but debatable on neutrality. I believe neutrality isn't as important than comfort and vibe (unless you're mixing).
I reference the amps as from all my experience with headphones, how they're driven makes a noticeable difference.
But $$$...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2