MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Es-5 SW Sync problem - Output 8 behaving strangely
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Es-5 SW Sync problem - Output 8 behaving strangely
BlackDoors
Hi - strange issue here with new ES-5 (driven from ES-8, tried using ES-8 via ADAT and via USB with the same result). I have been trying to use multiple instances of SW Sync (in Cubase 9.5 on High Sierra) to derive multiple outputs on ES-5.

I tried using instances of SW Sync on a stereo audio track in Cubase, and setting SW Sync to ES-5 mode. This seems to work ok with respect to addressing the correct gate channels on the ES-5, however whenever ES-5 mode is engaged on one or more of the SW Sync plug ins, Output 8 of the ES5 lights up - on further inspection (via O'Toole+) I can see that CH8 is actually making some high frequency wave.

Everything is at unity gain and going via a stereo track via either ADAT/USB - same thing happens both ways. Any ideas?

SW ES-5 Controller works as expected (Sadly on a Cubase audiotrack it only seems to take two inputs so I can only use one SW sync there). Using SW ES-5 Controller, Output 8 on the ES-5 doesn't do anything, unless I want it to smile

Could there be some issue with the VST SW Sync in ES-5 mode under Cubase 9.5?

Can Os or anyone advise/confirm?

Thanks!
John
os
There is something odd that Cubase does, which messes up passing signals between multiple plug-ins driving an ES-5. Some kind of dithering or something, and it has the effect you describe. I've never quite got to the bottom of it.

Quote:
Sadly on a Cubase audiotrack it only seems to take two inputs so I can only use one SW sync there

Not quite sure what you mean. Could you clarify?
BlackDoors
Thanks for the prompt response, Os.

To get around this issue I was trying to use two SW Sync instances in normal hardware mode on a single audio track, then tie these together with SW ES-5 controller.

I tried to have the first SW Sync plug to output on OP1/2 and the second on OP3/4, then route these to ES-5 gates as ‘usual’ in SW ES-5 controller.

However i could only the signals that we’re routed via OP1/2 (ie routed to SW ES-5 Controller inputs 1/2) to work, I think insert FX on a stereo audio track in Cubase perhaps only have 2 outputs/inputs available (output 1/2 of SW sync, input 1/2 of SW ES-5 controller)?

I guess it might be different on an instrument track, 5.1 track or similar?
os
I see. Could you get two more channels into the ES-5 Controller via a sidechain?
BlackDoors
Perhaps, I’ll give it a go. From memory I wasn’t aware that there was a VST3 SW Es-5 Controller with a SC input?

John
BlackDoors
Just checking in to say, I tried a few workarounds here and couldn't get this much better. In fact the individual audiostreams seem to apply this 'dither' between SW plugins in Cubase whatever I do. This means that some conceivable configurations (e.g. using ES-5 Controller inputs to gates) won't work anyway (since an output with low gate is affected by the signal, meaning you don't get a proper low gate condition).

I think the way to get this working in Cubase for Gate 1-7 is to not use the ES-5 Controller 'Input to Gates' controls at all. Therefore:

- put all the SW Sync controllers and SW ES-5 Controllers on one audio track.
- SW Sync instances should be in ES-5 mode, choose your output gates (not audio outputs) on the Clck and Run Output controls.
- SW ES-5 Controllers should have 'Through 1/2' enabled
- Don't plug anything into output gate 8 on the ES-5.

This approach keeps the spurious signal and gate behaviour to Output 8. Frustrating to lose one gate output but there we have it.

Os - might it be worth writing this up somewhere for Cubase users? Getting this working has been a bit of a pain here.

PS no idea why this signal gets added, it doesn't even look like dither to me and isn't autoblacked. Something to do with VST3 spec and sleeping plugins?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1