MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Do you use the tuning knob on your digital VCOs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]

Tuning knobs on digital VCOs?
I like them the way they are
59%
 59%  [ 29 ]
I'd like octave switches instead
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
I'd like tuning knobs with clicks on every pure c
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Tuning?
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 49

Author Do you use the tuning knob on your digital VCOs?
lisa
I understand that analog VCO needs a tuning knob since they are affected by heat and can vary in pitch. I also understand that you might want to tune the digital VCO to an analog VCO or some other instrument. However, is this really something that you do often?

I never do it so to me the tuning posibilities of digital modules are nothing but a hassle that forces me to tune my drift free digital oscillators every time I accidentally bumps into the tuning knob. To me, digital oscillators would be best served with octave switches and no tuning knob. Or, perhaps, a tuning knob with clicks on every pure c/octave.

What is your view?
ignatius
er.. i think every oscillator should have a tuning knob or freq knob both coarse and fine. so then i can tune it to whatever i want in our out of tune w/the rest of a patch. or arbitrarilly alter frequncies in an FM patch.

i don't understand the question really. octave switches are nice though.
lisa
ignatius wrote:

i don't understand the question really.

I can see that. smile Having to tune digital oscillators is my peeve.
sloth713
I second what ignatius said. I don't really tune to scales or pure tones I just tune to what sounds good to me at that point in time. If I want something to be in tune or to a scale I would use a quantizer
lisa
sloth713 wrote:
If I want something to be in tune or to a scale I would use a quantizer

Well, it still wouldn’t be in tune if your oscillator is out of tune. wink
sloth713
if it is out of tune enough to be quantized to another note, I just chalk it up to a Bob Ross style happy accident. Though then even if it is the wrong note it will still be in tune to the quantizer scale i guess hmmm.....
Bones
I get your problem Lisa, i had the same issue! Most of the time i turn the tuning of my digital synths all the down (or up) and work from there. That way, when i have played with the tuning during a performance or by accident i can always turn it all the way up or down and be sure that it's in tune for the rest of the performance.
Joe.
When I'm using multiple oscillators in a voice, I like to to slightly detune some.

I thought this was common seriously, i just don't get it
lisa
LoFi Junglist wrote:
When I'm using multiple oscillators in a voice, I like to to slightly detune some.

Good point! So the tuning knob should cover one octave and there should be octave switches or do you prefer a knob with clear clicks for a clean c? wink
kindredlost
"Digital VCO" hihi

The nature of the query seems like there are some things to assume.

Like the tuning of the oscillator is always locked to a perfect frequency for 12tET or some such scale. I don't know if I have any oscillators like that.

I have a Braids in 5U (Free State FX) and it has a sort of internal quantization with the triple saw wave, but even then I think it is fine-tuned with the panel knobs.

MI Rings seems to have this approach but the "tuning" knob on it isn't conventional in the way I think of a VCO tuning control. It is selecting offset intervals from the input like in a scale. It is the one and only module in my system which I have to be careful to listen to for tuning. If out of calibration then it is in a place all it's own.

Mysteron will "lock" on to 1v/oct tracking when the tune knob is set to one direction. There is a secondary pot for sweeping the tuning as well.

Even with these limited examples (in my setup) except for Rings, I don't see any lack of provision for tuning any of the modules just as a true analog VCO would have on board. I am happy with the control as it is and would be a bit aggravated if they didn't include some control of tuning.

Most of my music is very dependent upon a good tuning control. I do a lot of melodic conventional western styles and a few micro-tonal as well as alternate tuning scales and the control for the oscillators and filters are of a paramount importance.
starthief
My preference would be for coarse and fine knobs, simply enough. With maybe a lock for the coarse knob, and maybe a switch for LFO vs audio rate.

None of the fancier implementations really please me, but they're mostly not objectionable either. I'm a bit peeved by Manis's semi-coarse/superfine encoder and tend to patch an offset generator into it if I want to manually wiggle it.
facklr
Are we talking 440 Hz? 432 Hz? 442 Hz?

What are we talking about? Are we talking about equal temperament, or are we talking about just intonation? A440 as the root note pitch? Tracking through the scale? Octave 1, octave 2, same pitch as octave 10?

What digital VCO are we talking about? I would like the option to detune it with a fine tune. But the coarse octave switch is nice.

Cowboys are the only ones who stay in tune.

Where is zoogoo when you need him?
dogoftears
what if i want to leave the 1v/o input empty and just tune the osc to a specific note or frequency?

what if i want to use it as an LFO?

what if i'm using it as a modulator, and i want to sweep coarse frequency for the effect?

i can't stand octave switches that disallow you from sweeping the entire frequency range with the coarse pot. i love, however, the vernier dial tuning pots on my bugbrand quadrature oscillators, they are pretty close to recallable and have a "locking" switch on them, which prevents the odd bump from throwing them out of tune. locking switches on more osc would be nice.
gimber
I like Plonk's approach: internal quantizer on, the pitch knob shows the pitch on the screen as you adjust it. Internal quantizer off, it shows the frequency. Wish the shapeshifter had this option.
Oldstench
Of course I use the tuning knob on my digital oscillators. What a silly question.
JohnLRice
lisa wrote:
to me the tuning posibilities of digital modules are nothing but a hassle that farces me to tune my drift free digital oscillators every time I accidentally bumps into the tuning knob.
I like to replace the standard coarse tuning knobs with locking dials, both on analog and digital VCOs. There are some downsides like high cost for the locking dials and they are larger so graphics/labeling gets covered and they make the panel more crowded and look not well planned out (especially on eurorack modules), but to me it's worth it.

pugix
No question that bumping a knob is a hazard of modular synths. smile Klavis Twin Waves is a digital VCO that allows locking of the tuning pots. For analog, the locking dial seems like a good solution.

Try to imagine an oscillator without a coarse tuning knob. Are there any? I suppose the replacement would be octave switches to set the base frequency and a fine tuning knob that would cover an octave. But I like the fine tuning knob to have a small, fine-grained range. I don't care about tuning to specific frequencies, but I like to detune multiple oscillators.

The Blacet VCO (analog) has both coarse and fine tuning knobs, as well as a CV input for up and down one octave. I like the idea CV of octave selection.
Navs
Lisa, are you assuming that digital VCOs are always in tune; that they can't suffer from incorrect tracking or offsets?

The way I understand it is that as soon as you want to interact with the digital VCO, for example controlling its pitch with a voltage, you are exposing it/ open to the same inaccuracies that affect analogue VCOs. This is reflected in the fact that you will find calibration routines for Braids or Hertz Donut etc. ...

Of course, it may well be that your VCOs and CV sources are perfectly calibrated any your are only playing 'real' notes. But even there, when I use a Nord Modular, for example, I still find myself offsetting one VCO against the other.

On the other question: love switches for routing, hate them for tuning.
Cybananna
sloth713 wrote:
I second what ignatius said. I don't really tune to scales or pure tones I just tune to what sounds good to me at that point in time. If I want something to be in tune or to a scale I would use a quantizer

Similar to this. I don’t deal with tuning my modular to any particular note, scale , whatever. Just what sounds good to he ear. I don’t have or want a quantizer. If I want to play standard notes I break out a keyboard synth. My modular is for noise and the weird.

I don’t care for octave switches
facklr
Cybananna wrote:
sloth713 wrote:

Similar to this. I don’t deal with tuning my modular to any particular note, scale , whatever. Just what sounds good to he ear. I don’t have or want a quantizer. If I want to play standard notes I break out a keyboard synth. My modular is for noise and the weird.

I don’t care for octave switches

Now, if I am tuning my synth to the pitch of a didjereedoo, I am very happy for both knobs, because those didjereedoos don't have knobs. They are fixed architecture didjereedoos.
gonkulator
Ideally? Octave switches, plus detented per quarter tone coarse, plus large smooth fine +/- 50 cent, I think that should do it.
BenignToxicity
If I'm in a mood to worry about the relative tuning of my oscillators (which happens occasionally), I try to tune the STO and the 0-Coast to Braids. However, if STO and 0-Coast are in tune with each other, but not Braids... then Braids will get adjusted. (I have a Telharmonic as well, but trying to tune that bloody thing is a task of total futility).
Boneoh
I prefer the coarse and fine knobs. I also like the Dixie II haves the lfo/Vco switch. I use the ext in on the z3000 to detune other VCOs, pretty easy.

Edit autocomplete put Vicodin instead of VCO hihi
ignatius
lisa wrote:
sloth713 wrote:
If I want something to be in tune or to a scale I would use a quantizer

Well, it still wouldn’t be in tune if your oscillator is out of tune. wink

how can an oscillator not be in tune with itself?
hamildad
two different understandings of tuning in this thread.

someones obviously bumped this thread and its gone out of alignment with itself...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2