MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Why does Facebook bug me?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Why does Facebook bug me?
metasonix
Partly because of things like this, which happened on a thread today about Behringer's upcoming Euro modules. FWIW Mr. Huovilainen is a softsynth expert with a deep fondness for Moog filters and makes VST plug-ins. I have no idea why he decided he had a profound need to troll me on FB. Since when are Metasonix and Knifonium "competitors" anyway?
Yes Powder
This fills me with a rage I didn't anticipate.

It bugs me that people still think you can't be musical (read:12-TET) with Metasonix. Of course you can, and anyone who can't at least say how it can be done is probably better off with a Microkorg anyways.

Also bothers me when people refer to early electronic organs as "synthesizers". It's like calling H.habilis a "human".
ritchiedrums
1) I completely deleted my FB over a year ago &
Don’t Miss It

2) does Zimmer actually Buy any gear??
- I doubt it & we know Eric wouldn’t give him shit for free

3) one of the things I love about Metasonix is that Most
People DON’T GET IT!!

4) I did an entire album a few years ago 100% Metasonix
- don’t expect everyone to like it, but it is Musical

Guinness ftw!
ritchiedrums
BTW: Novachord is definitely a synth
av500
but .. but ... but .. Hans Zimmer!
AnttiH
metasonix wrote:
I have no idea why he decided he had a profound need to troll me on FB.

What? A private individual is not allowed to criticize a manufacturer's products on another private individual's facebook wall? Since when? Come on, what would the reaction here be if, say, Uli Behringer personally attacked someone simply for criticizing Behringer products? You run a business and part of running a business is being able to deal with criticism.

And just for the record, I'm not trolling. That'd imply that I did it "just for the lulz". As far as I've been able to tell from the website and demos (during the last 10-15 years), Metasonix products are purposefully designed to make grinding and harsh noises, not pleasant musical sounds. I'm old fashioned in the sense that unless it has melodic and pleasant components, it is not music (no, I don't count harsh noise or any such as music - soundscapes maybe, but not music).
xthrasherx
Quote:
I'm old fashioned in the sense that unless it has melodic and pleasant components, it is not music (no, I don't count harsh noise or any such as music - soundscapes maybe, but not music).

Oh ok. Here's some more "not music" I guess. Seems like this instrument was purposefully designed to make grating, screeching sounds. Guess I'm old fashioned, but why would anyone buy such a thing?

or this guy. Why is he worshiped so much by guitarists? He can barely play! Listen to this nonsense. It's just feedback and random notes. At least the elementary school kid across the street can be forgiven as young when they are making such obnoxious noises.

Oh, while we are arbitrarily defining how and what people use in their creative endevours, how the hell is this considered art?

Oh man, being this close minded is fun applause
notmiserlouagain
AnttiH wrote:
metasonix wrote:

What? A private individual is not allowed to criticize a manufacturer's products on another private individual's facebook wall? Since when?

Morton Subotnick = no music, come on hihi

Btw saying "I think xy is no music" is a big difference to "xy is no music", sorry but I´ve had enough of that shit!

AnttiH, are you somehow affiliated with the "Knifonium"? Just to get that out of the way? Because if yes, your totally subjective criticism would be extremly bad style. And I´m in no way a Metasonix or anyone´s fanboy...
AnttiH
xthrasherx wrote:

Oh ok. Here's some more "not music" I guess.

Yes. I don't consider that music. Soundscapes, performance art, etc. Of course, you're free to disagree - it's a free internet, after all. Do note that I am not the one posting on another unrelated forum about how "user xth...rx is why I hate forums".

xthrasherx wrote:

Why is he worshiped so much by guitarists?

If that kind of pure feedback was the only thing Hendrix ever published, then no, I wouldn't call him much of a musician. Of course - unlike the strawman you're trying to imply - Hendrix managed to release multiple albums worth of excellent songs with clear melodies, chord progressions and other traditional markings of pleasant music.
AnttiH
notmiserlouagain wrote:
AnttiH, are you somehow affiliated with the "Knifonium"? Just to get that out of the way? Because if yes, your totally subjective criticism would be extremly bad style.

No. I’ve tried it once and it’s nifty but no synth is nifty enough for me to pay over 10 grand for it. And indeed, it would be bad style. But I’m not affiliated with any synth manufacturer so I’m free to comment what I want on my fb friends’ posts. Even if some third party manufacturer doesn’t like that I consider their products unmusical.
tesserack
AnttiH wrote:
metasonix wrote:

You run a business and part of running a business is being able to deal with criticism.

AnttiH,I think that's what he is doing, dealing with criticism by seeking other knowledge here.

That's what you're doing also. It's interesting that you seem to have joined just to bring the battle here though.

It's a choise exercised through our free will.

This.

"Khan: To the last I grapple with thee. From hell's heart I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."

"Khan: I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to go on... hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me, as you left her. Marooned for all eternity, in the center of a dead planet... buried alive. Buried alive."

Or this.

"Mr. Spock: I have been, and always shall be, your friend."

"Mr. Spock: Live long and prosper."
xthrasherx
AnttiH wrote:
xthrasherx wrote:

Oh ok. Here's some more "not music" I guess.

Yes. I don't consider that music. Soundscapes, performance art, etc. Of course, you're free to disagree - it's a free internet, after all. Do note that I am not the one posting on another unrelated forum about how "user xth...rx is why I hate forums".

xthrasherx wrote:

Why is he worshiped so much by guitarists?

If that kind of pure feedback was the only thing Hendrix ever published, then no, I wouldn't call him much of a musician. Of course - unlike the strawman you're trying to imply - Hendrix managed to release multiple albums worth of excellent songs with clear melodies, chord progressions and other traditional markings of pleasant music.

Your ignorance of what other people have or have not released is the exact point. Henry Cowell was hardly a "soundscape," noise, or performance artist / composer. He and others did push the arbitrary boundaries of tonality and rhythm at the time, but that doesn't render it not music (See Schoenberg, Stravinsky, free jazz, minimalist composers, and beyond). I also chose the Hendrix piece to prove that exact point... Yes you can find plenty of examples of a metasonix product being used to distort and mangle an audio signal into oblivion. You can also find examples of it being used tastefully should you take the time and look for more than 2 seconds.

appliancide
At least we can all agree that Hans Zimmer would make an excellent cat perch.
notmiserlouagain
appliancide wrote:
At least we can all agree that Hans Zimmer would make an excellent cat perch.

That one almost killed me Smacked in the head with a trout
Eric the Red
This bugs me.. fist the Knifonium is just in a weird league of its own, and I still designed to make a particular sound, just like Metasonix modules are desi*ed to make a sound of their own.

It seems folks are confusing “sounds” and “music”. An oscillator on its own doesn’t make music, but add a filter or 2, a Sequencer, some vocals, maybe some drums and yOu have a song.

Isn’t Metasonix how Mr. Rezner makes all those terrible noises that we (at least me) love one records?
luchog
xthrasherx wrote:

Your ignorance of what other people have or have not released is the exact point. Henry Cowell was hardly a "soundscape," noise, or performance artist / composer. He and others did push the arbitrary boundaries of tonality and rhythm at the time, but that doesn't render it not music (See Schoenberg, Stravinsky, free jazz, minimalist composers, and beyond). I also chose the Hendrix piece to prove that exact point...

Not just free jazz. When bop/bebop came on the scene, it was notoriously unpopular with older generations of jazz musicians, and a great deal of the general population. Duke Ellington openly derided it, "Playing 'Bop' is like playing Scrabble with all the vowels missing"; and Louis Armstrong dedicated an entire song to ridiculing it.

Nearly all new music has suffered the same calumnies, the accusations of not being music or musical at all. Beethoven's music was famously criticized by contemporary John Ruskin as "like the upsettings of bags of nails, with here and there an also dropped hammer." And Wagner's music was called a satanic assault on the senses by contemporary critics. Even Debussy was not free from the attacks of critics, who called his work "bizarre".

Anytime an instrument or musician comes along and attempts to "expand the vocabulary of music," to quote composer William Maginnis, there has always been and always will be a backlash, an insistence that it's not really music, or at best that it's vastly inferior music. Without exception.
metasonix
Thank you folks, it's helpful to see more reasoned opinions than the splutterfests that keep appearing on synth-related Facebook groups. Some of them are pure cringe. (Hell, FB didn't invent assholery. To this day if you mention Metasonix on WATMM or Gearslutz or some guitar fora you will probably attract at least one petty attack. Most of the regulars have given up on this by now, but there's always a couple just looking for trouble.)

And yes, Mr. Zimmer owns some Metasonix. If he doesn't love it as much as his (multiple) Knifoniums, that's his choice, he's an artist and can bloody well afford whatever toys he wants. And presumably he knows how to use them. Without lectures from the Facebook peanut gallery (or me for that matter).
Yes Powder
ritchiedrums wrote:
I completely deleted my FB over a year ago &
Don’t Miss It

Same beer!
I imagine it's harder when you run a business run almost entirely on word-of-mouth advertising.

ritchiedrums wrote:
one of the things I love about Metasonix is that Most
People DON’T GET IT!!

Part of me agrees; his designs are uncompromisingly unique, which inevitably means that a lot of people won't take the time to really understand them— and being one of the people that did and do is pretty cool.
The other part of me just wants to see Eric be successful and sell a lot of modules so he can make even more.
feelings are hard.

ritchiedrums wrote:
BTW: Novachord is definitely a synth

Okay, fine; it's H.neanderthalensis Miley Cyrus
It's got some advanced stuff for the time, but its feature set seems more oriented towards imitating existing instruments than creating new, unheard-of sounds.
wsy
"Illigitimatus Non Carborundum", dude.

Personally, if I buy another semi-modular, it's at least 50% likely to be a Metasonix, even if it has to be used.

Besides, that chick-with-the-whip is soooo cute! :-)

- Bill
HighLordFixer

was always heavily influenced by tube synthesis sound
the Barron's Forbidden Planet soundtrack
obviously tubes don't react the same as Opamps/transistors
so take that into consideration with composition
are you somehow affiliated with the "Knifonium"?
NO
yet eye am related to Hans Zimmer
cousins on his dad's side
have had the conversation with him
long before there was anything called "FaceBook"
plus shared waaaay old family photos
not asking him for gear or anything either
have my own
isn't my fault everyone else didn't instantly realize "FaceBook" is a trap
tried warning people
it should come up on scans as viri/trojan
completely intrusive GOV "spyware"
SuckerBergs..................................

Shledge
Wouldn't be surprised this was from "Synthesizer Freaks" of FB. That place makes Gearslutz look sane and rational in terms of sheer cancer.
ritchiedrums
WTF!!!!!!

Knifonium sales rep posting here now????? Metasonix!
HighLordFixer
obviously you have me mistakenly confused with a Knifonium sales rep
yet that's alright
because you never suspected
Saluda sponsored sharpened ninja star cymbal throwing expert
don't make me launch a razor sharp modified 18" crash/ride your direction!!!
metasonix
And furthermore.....why did we stop making yellow panels? Because of guys like this. There are more of them than MW users might realize. I gotta stay in business.

Complain about Facebook all you want, I will usually agree with you. It is still a vast ocean of consumers albeit displaying all kinds of good/bad/insane behaviour. It's a cheap and effective advertising medium too (unfortunately).

xthrasherx
I both get it and don't. I'm "naturally" biased to black and certainly would love an all black paneled system. In practice that has been a pretty unreasonable approach though, so ultimately I don't care. Quality and sound are more important to me, so I'm not going to NOT buy something based on the panel color.

That said I 100% understand the need to stay in business and while I love the yellow, the RK series is great.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2