MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

5U VOCODERS
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author 5U VOCODERS
josaka
every year or so I get a big vocoder bug ..!
outside of the COTK offering (not dealing with them)

any other EMS/Sennheiser sounding modules..?
or even just non 5U clones..?

the verbos Bark sounds not bad.

unrecordings
I built the MFOS vocoder with expander mod into 5U many years ago
The board is mounted to the case 'cos it's massive

I probably don't use it enough because it's harder to get that classic sound than with my Roland SVC - though maybe pre-processing with a filter bank might help (?)
Dave Peck
Here's a 5U vocoder:

http://www.modcan.com/bmodules/vocoder.html
JohnLRice
Dave Peck wrote:
Here's a 5U vocoder:

http://www.modcan.com/bmodules/vocoder.html
I used to have one of those, a beautiful module! love But I found it difficult to get levels dialed in to give me the results I was after. It could be I just didn't know what I was doing oops but I eventually sold it because I was rarely trying to use it. Here's a couple things I did with it:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/johnlrice/frequency[/s]

EPTC
josaka wrote:

I regularly gear-crave pretty hard for that Bark Filter.

It seems to do vocoder nicely along with some heavy duty additional functions. The demo doesn't seem to even cover it.

Wonder how complicated a 5U conversion would be. Probably end up six spaces wide, or so. But it's definitely the most interesting new filter I've seen in many years.
RussiaZero23
Frap tools Fumana

http://frap.tools/products/fumana/

It sounds good

It looks good

It specs good

It has plenty of features

and its priced high.

Now I must start the saving for one.
josaka
that is a great module Russia... a classic example of my frustration with the 5u mentality..

this is great..

RussiaZero23
Volt life had a demo of the fumana as well.
Using it for vocoding

https://youtu.be/VAIiLyHc3-8
josaka
RussiaZero23 wrote:
Using it for vocoding

yep saw that thumbs up smile does it do anything the Bark doesnt do..? bark is a bit cheaper.

if you remove the 's' from http's' youtube video shows up properly.. no idea why this is still needed smile
RussiaZero23
josaka wrote:
RussiaZero23 wrote:
Using it for vocoding

yep saw that thumbs up smile does it do anything the Bark doesnt do..? bark is a bit cheaper.

if you remove the 's' from http's' youtube video shows up properly.. no idea why this is still needed smile

It does a little more then the Bark Filter it is slightly more expensive but it is worth it in my opinion.

this is from the manual - Go to Frap tools web site and check them out. Very good people.

"The FUMANA is a dual all analog fixed filter bank with various controls to access these bands dynamically. Each filter bank is composed of an array of 16 independent bandpass filters. Having two identical filter arrays allows you to use one of those for spectral analysis (of a modulator signal) and the other for spectral re-synthesis (of the main signal). Each array is sub-grouped in odd and even bands (numbering these increasingly from 1 to 16 from left to right). It is possible to apply different signals to odd and even bands, both for main and/or modulator arrays. This, together with the 16 envelope followers connected to each band of the modulator filterbank and the 16 VCA connected to each band of the main filterbank, allows the FUMANA to perform a single 16 bands or a dual 8 bands analog spectral transfer.
While the upper section provides access to each main filter’s direct output, the lower section has 4 voltage controllable parameters to manage two independent functions for further spectral editing: tilting and parametric scanning.
The tilt, as the name suggests, tilts the spectrum, adding and subtracting amplitude to the 16 bands, emphasizing lower or high bands, and attenuating high or lower bands: this is managed with the green potentiometer.
The parametric scan, instead, works with three parameters: peak/notch, band selector and width. Like in a parametric equalizer, where is possible to set peak/notch gain, frequency and slope, the FUMANA uses three parameters: center band of this scanning, scanning amount (positive or negative, emphasis or attenuation), and how much is extended to nearby bands.
In addition to the 16 bandpass outputs there are other 4 outputs provided: the all bands output, the all envelope followers output, the odd bands and the even bands output. These two have the options to be inverted in phase with two switches in order to obtain even more combination when summed together, maybe/also with the “all bands output”, using for example the 333 module.
Since a spectral transfer tool may be used as a “vocoder-like-effect”, the FUMANA provides an input for an external noise which may be used for unvoiced (fricative/sibilants) sounds as words containing or starting with s, f, z, ch and other fricative sounds "
josaka
they are both not true vocoders (I think if you have 2 then you have a true vocoder at least technically..) and they seem to have identical fiunctions..(the bark has 4 less bands)
Stereotactixxx
josaka wrote:
they are both not true vocoders (I think if you have 2 then you have a true vocoder at least technically..) and they seem to have identical fiunctions..(the bark has 4 less bands)

I don't think this accurate with regards to the Fumana, which is, as far as I understand, a 16 band vocoder.
With the Bark however, I think you will have to settle for 6 hands or get two units.
Someone correct me if I'm misinformed.
Leverkusen
Stereotactixxx wrote:
josaka wrote:

I don't think this accurate with regards to the Fumana, which is, as far as I understand, a 16 band vocoder.
With the Bark however, I think you will have to settle for 6 hands or get two units.

Both of them do vocoding by using the odd and even bands as descrete filter banks.

So both are true vocoders too but not acurate as they do not exactly transfer the analyzed spectrum but shift it one band up when processing.

Also neither 6 nor 8 bands will give you a very acurate vocoding effect but that's more a matter of taste.
josaka
even fumana bumf calls it a "vocoding effect" and on the podcasts they say its not a true vocoder.. they do sound like vocoders but no real definition on the words..
Stereotactixxx
Leverkusen wrote:
Stereotactixxx wrote:
josaka wrote:

Both of them do vocoding by using the odd and even bands as descrete filter bands.

So both are true vocoders too but not acurate as they do not exactly transfer the analyzed spectrum but shift it one band up when processing.

Also neither 6 nor 8 bands will give you a very acurate vocoding effect but that's more a matter of taste.

But the description of the Fumana clearly states that it is a DUAL filter bank, where each bank has 16 filters.
Wray
I previously sold my cotk vocoder... since then bought an electro harmonix v256 and haven't looked back. Equally as good or better. For a fraction of the price. When you want the looks buy the cotk. When you want to make music simply buy the EH and save money for other things. The COTK is impossible to work with. I can work with closed eyes with the EH.
josaka
EH dors some nice sounds.. sounds a bit plug-iny .. if thats a thing..
no balls or rasp..? could just be the demos I watched.
Wray
josaka wrote:

True it sounds a bit smooth. Won't deny it. The cotk does sound more rudimentary. But there are other ways to roughen up the sound. Don't forget the carrier sound makes or breaks it. Don't use a supersmooth carrier but make it a bit dirtier. Perhaps even run the output through a vintage tube effect module and you can work around it. In any case, this opens the possibility of ending somewhere unexpected! When I first bought the EH I was a bit disappointed about the smoothness. But this vaporised entirely when I filtered it through some dirt, used the right carrier and it fitted nicely in the track. A very musical effect.
josaka
Wray wrote:
josaka wrote:

True it sounds a bit smooth. Won't deny it. The cotk does sound more rudimentary. But there are other ways to roughen up the sound. Don't forget the carrier sound makes or breaks it. Don't use a supersmooth carrier but make it a bit dirtier. Perhaps even run the output through a vintage tube effect module and you can work around it. In any case, this opens the possibility of ending somewhere unexpected! When I first bought the EH I was a bit disappointed about the smoothness. But this vaporised entirely when I filtered it through some dirt, used the right carrier and it fitted nicely in the track. A very musical effect.

thumbs up

the free TAL vocoder plug does a decent job.. its pretty rough.. and the built in logic one is decent too..
Wray
josaka wrote:
Wray wrote:
josaka wrote:

thumbs up

the free TAL vocoder plug does a decent job.. its pretty rough.. and the built in logic one is decent too..

Nice one!
Will try.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1