MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Behringer to introduce sub-100$ range of modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Author Behringer to introduce sub-100$ range of modules
roger
Based on a forum post by Uli, as he did with the DeepMind, ModelD and else. Seem to be based on the 100m System - based as in clones.
sleepgardens
We know. There was a thread here but it got nuked when it degenerated into politics. Beside that, I find the opinions (at least the synth-related ones) expressed in that thread pretty interesting and I feel it is someting worth discussing.
Mostin77
Quote:
Since I opened this thread a few days ago, I have been approached by some of you and asked if we would consider to manufacture their design in return for a potential design fee.

I think this is a great idea and I truly believe in this vision. It will allow many of you who do not have the funds or experience to enter the market with your designs.

I mentioned in the last thread that I didn’t think Behringer getting into eurorack would all bad.

This statement over at that forum seems interesting I think.
ishi
Even more exciting news added by Uli on GS:

"In short, we are willing to share our complete manufacturing, supply chain and marketing power with you, while you can focus on designing great modules. Of course we are more than happy to sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) so you are protected."
lud
An interesting but slightly odd idea
namshub
i'm exploding with indifference
tau_seti
I’d rather have the Synthi clone. The vaporware announcements from Behringer are getting comical.
Luap
Bizzaringer..
Foghorn
If they do go ahead and make some modules, I hope they are not too cheap.
I would rather see half decent pots and jacks, and also enough room that you can turn the pots and use the jacks.
That said I guess there is a place for some more cheap modules very frustrating
I must say I am extremely unexcited about this non-development.

Silently waiting.
(for my Plaits, Marbles and Stages)
Oh, Marbles will be here in a day or two.

Foghorn
zuliani
My first thought was, awesome – this would be a good way for beginners to get into modular synths without having to fork over the +/- $1000 startup costs.

I'm worried, though, about build quality. With the exception of their (oddly solid) audio interfaces, every bit of Behringer gear I have is flimsy as hell. I have a guitar pedal that looked alright in pictures and then, upon arrival, revealed itself to be fairly light-weight plastic.

If Behringer makes a <$100 module, it's going to be carved out of a potato.
mritenburg
Foghorn wrote:
If they do go ahead and make some modules, I hope they are not too cheap.
I would rather see half decent pots and jacks, and also enough room that you can turn the pots and use the jacks.
That said I guess there is a place for some more cheap modules

This is the problem with Deep Mind. It's an amazing sounding instrument, but the build feels super cheap.
paperCUT
ishi wrote:
Even more exciting news added by Uli on GS:

"In short, we are willing to share our complete manufacturing, supply chain and marketing power with you, while you can focus on designing great modules. Of course we are more than happy to sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) so you are protected."

I'm not sure what to make of that idea. It really goes against the DIY nature of the current market and there's some rather fundamental questions that arise:

How long is the development process? It could take many months to get any module out of a factory and into a supply chain.

What if you want to make improvements to a design and do an updated version? Do you still have the rights to it? Does Uri have final say over features even?

What about visual design, does everything have to look the same? I cant see Behringer stocking 50 different styles of knob...
tom_of_finland
Doesn't WMD do fabrication and tooling services for small makers that don't want to invest in a fab pipeline? I have no idea on cost of that, but I do know Noise Engineering uses their services.

I mean, cheaper is fine if that's the only consideration but it isn't exactly something that's entirely new.
MarcelP
namshub wrote:

Soon to be followed by an implosion of ennui.
hermbot
Doesn't Ladik already make a whole slew of sub $100 modules?

How has the earth managed to continue orbiting the sun with those about?
insoul8
hermbot wrote:
Doesn't Ladik already make a whole slew of sub $100 modules?

How has the earth managed to continue orbiting the sun with those about?

Yes, and they are awesome. So with that said, i say bring it on to Behringer.
snakejaw
zuliani wrote:
If Behringer makes a <$100 module, it's going to be carved out of a potato.

hihi
monoscan
tau_seti wrote:
I’d rather have the Synthi clone. The vaporware announcements from Behringer are getting comical.

No kidding. If I was holding my breath, well...I'd be awfully blue right now. I'm not expecting even a tenth of what he announces to ever be built.
pricklyrobot
zuliani wrote:
My first thought was, awesome – this would be a good way for beginners to get into modular synths without having to fork over the +/- $1000 startup costs.

As someone who started with a Happy Ending kit and a few second-hand Doepfer modules and built up to a still-fairly-modest 84HP/7U system over the course of several years, I’d say there are already plenty of ways to get into modular without being rich or going into debt thumbs up

Quote:
I'm worried, though, about build quality. With the exception of their (oddly solid) audio interfaces, every bit of Behringer gear I have is flimsy as hell. I have a guitar pedal that looked alright in pictures and then, upon arrival, revealed itself to be fairly light-weight plastic.

Yeah, I’ve had a similar experience: Behringer mixer that’s always worked fine for 10+ years, Behringer pedal where the effect randomly cuts out every 3rd or 4th time I try to use it. I think it’s a Quality Control issue. Behringer is capable of making a solid product, but can they do it consistently?
insoul8
pricklyrobot wrote:
Yeah, I’ve had a similar experience: Behringer mixer that’s always worked fine for 10+ years, Behringer pedal where the effect randomly cuts out every 3rd or 4th time I try to use it. I think it’s a Quality Control issue. Behringer is capable of making a solid product, but can they do it consistently?

I'm certainly not going to argue that Behringer does have some QC issues, but while I've had many things break unexpectedly in my studio, it has never been the few pieces of Behringer gear I own. I don't think anecdotal evidence of a Behringer pedal having issues says all that much. My Eventide Space started having issues after about a year and Eventide was never much help. Just to play Devil's advocate a bit... I'd argue that a whole lot of the smaller manufacturers we buy from suffer from QC issues.
cptnal
I can see the mods having great fun playing whack-a-mole with these Behringer threads. zombie
Kent
cptnal wrote:
I can see the mods having great fun playing whack-a-mole with these Behringer threads. zombie

If folk simply exercise self-restraint and steer clear of posting political tracts, then we won’t have to do anything.
pricklyrobot
insoul8 wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:

I'm certainly not going to argue that Behringer does have some QC issues, but while I've had many things break unexpectedly in my studio, it has never been the few pieces of Behringer gear I own. I don't think anecdotal evidence of a Behringer pedal having issues says all that much. My Eventide Space started having issues after about a year and Eventide was never much help. Just to play Devil's advocate a bit... I'd argue that a whole lot of the smaller manufacturers we buy from suffer from QC issues.

Sure, obviously it’s anecdotal, and not terribly scientific. Just my experience. I only tried a few of their pedals several years ago, and compared to say Danelectro pedals that were around at the same time (similar price point, also plastic) they seemed especially flimsy. But like I said other gear of theirs I’ve tried has been fine. Maybe their pedals have improved too. Haven’t tried one lately.
I’m not a hardcore anti-Behringer-ite. My only real gripe is when they lift the visual design aesthetic as well as the circuit design (like with those Boss knock off pedals); that’s when, in my mind at least, they’re veering from “clones” towards “counterfeits”. But, seems like maybe they’re getting away from that with their more recent products. Here’s hoping these new modules don’t sport a “Boland” logo anyway;)
Paranormal Patroler
Guinness ftw! Here's to a normal,discussion.

I wonder if any of the newest manufacturers will reach out to Behringer. I wonder if any of the old manufacturers will.
thehipcola
MarcelP wrote:
namshub wrote:

Soon to be followed by an implosion of ennui.

heh - posts of the day.

I'm pretty stoked for inexpensive options. There's such a wildly diverse landscape of producers - I can't see Behringer really upsetting the market that much. I definitely don't see the masses climbing down from boutique mountain to replace their highly individual racks with stock Behringer modules, and am willing to bet everything stays pretty status quo for existing suppliers. Feels like the bulk of eurorack is literally built on innovation and clever ideas, let's see what Behringer has got. Almost certainly if they come up with something that strikes a chord, there will be opportunity to do it better and more uniquely for smaller manufacturers... At least that's my suspicion right now... AND - if it helps bring more market to eurorack due to price point.. at some point some of those folks will outgrow whatever cheap stuff they bought to get started and want to move upmarket for quality, features, individuality etc... Net win I think.

This of course specifically, and conveniently, sidesteps any thoughts on Behringer's history of "cloning" or business practices...but that's been discussed elsewhere at length.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Page 1 of 18