Behringer to introduce sub-100$ range of modules

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

roger
Wiggling with Experience

Behringer to introduce sub-100$ range of modules

Post by roger » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:16 am

Based on a forum post by Uli, as he did with the DeepMind, ModelD and else. Seem to be based on the 100m System - based as in clones.

sleepgardens
Common Wiggler

Post by sleepgardens » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:23 am

We know. There was a thread here but it got nuked when it degenerated into politics. Beside that, I find the opinions (at least the synth-related ones) expressed in that thread pretty interesting and I feel it is someting worth discussing.

Mostin77
Common Wiggler

Post by Mostin77 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:38 am

Since I opened this thread a few days ago, I have been approached by some of you and asked if we would consider to manufacture their design in return for a potential design fee.

I think this is a great idea and I truly believe in this vision. It will allow many of you who do not have the funds or experience to enter the market with your designs.
I mentioned in the last thread that I didn’t think Behringer getting into eurorack would all bad.

This statement over at that forum seems interesting I think.

ishi
Common Wiggler

Post by ishi » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:14 am

Even more exciting news added by Uli on GS:

"In short, we are willing to share our complete manufacturing, supply chain and marketing power with you, while you can focus on designing great modules. Of course we are more than happy to sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) so you are protected."

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:27 am

An interesting but slightly odd idea

namshub
Common Wiggler

Post by namshub » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:39 am

i'm exploding with indifference

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tau_seti » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:43 am

I’d rather have the Synthi clone. The vaporware announcements from Behringer are getting comical.

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:45 am

Bizzaringer..

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:58 am

If they do go ahead and make some modules, I hope they are not too cheap.
I would rather see half decent pots and jacks, and also enough room that you can turn the pots and use the jacks.
That said I guess there is a place for some more cheap modules :bang:
I must say I am extremely unexcited about this non-development.

Silently waiting.
(for my Plaits, Marbles and Stages)
Oh, Marbles will be here in a day or two.

Foghorn
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

zuliani
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zuliani » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:15 am

My first thought was, awesome – this would be a good way for beginners to get into modular synths without having to fork over the +/- $1000 startup costs.

I'm worried, though, about build quality. With the exception of their (oddly solid) audio interfaces, every bit of Behringer gear I have is flimsy as hell. I have a guitar pedal that looked alright in pictures and then, upon arrival, revealed itself to be fairly light-weight plastic.

If Behringer makes a <$100 module, it's going to be carved out of a potato.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:29 am

Foghorn wrote:If they do go ahead and make some modules, I hope they are not too cheap.
I would rather see half decent pots and jacks, and also enough room that you can turn the pots and use the jacks.
That said I guess there is a place for some more cheap modules
This is the problem with Deep Mind. It's an amazing sounding instrument, but the build feels super cheap.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

The story you are about to hear is true.

paperCUT
Veteran Wiggler

Post by paperCUT » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:37 am

ishi wrote:Even more exciting news added by Uli on GS:

"In short, we are willing to share our complete manufacturing, supply chain and marketing power with you, while you can focus on designing great modules. Of course we are more than happy to sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) so you are protected."
I'm not sure what to make of that idea. It really goes against the DIY nature of the current market and there's some rather fundamental questions that arise:

How long is the development process? It could take many months to get any module out of a factory and into a supply chain.

What if you want to make improvements to a design and do an updated version? Do you still have the rights to it? Does Uri have final say over features even?

What about visual design, does everything have to look the same? I cant see Behringer stocking 50 different styles of knob...

tom_of_finland
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tom_of_finland » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:55 am

Doesn't WMD do fabrication and tooling services for small makers that don't want to invest in a fab pipeline? I have no idea on cost of that, but I do know Noise Engineering uses their services.

I mean, cheaper is fine if that's the only consideration but it isn't exactly something that's entirely new.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:29 am

namshub wrote:i'm exploding with indifference
Soon to be followed by an implosion of ennui.

hermbot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hermbot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:38 am

Doesn't Ladik already make a whole slew of sub $100 modules?

How has the earth managed to continue orbiting the sun with those about?

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 am

hermbot wrote:Doesn't Ladik already make a whole slew of sub $100 modules?

How has the earth managed to continue orbiting the sun with those about?
Yes, and they are awesome. So with that said, i say bring it on to Behringer.

snakejaw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snakejaw » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:55 am

zuliani wrote:If Behringer makes a <$100 module, it's going to be carved out of a potato.
:hihi:

monoscan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by monoscan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:57 am

tau_seti wrote:I’d rather have the Synthi clone. The vaporware announcements from Behringer are getting comical.
No kidding. If I was holding my breath, well...I'd be awfully blue right now. I'm not expecting even a tenth of what he announces to ever be built.

pricklyrobot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:22 am

zuliani wrote:My first thought was, awesome – this would be a good way for beginners to get into modular synths without having to fork over the +/- $1000 startup costs.
As someone who started with a Happy Ending kit and a few second-hand Doepfer modules and built up to a still-fairly-modest 84HP/7U system over the course of several years, I’d say there are already plenty of ways to get into modular without being rich or going into debt :tu:
I'm worried, though, about build quality. With the exception of their (oddly solid) audio interfaces, every bit of Behringer gear I have is flimsy as hell. I have a guitar pedal that looked alright in pictures and then, upon arrival, revealed itself to be fairly light-weight plastic.
Yeah, I’ve had a similar experience: Behringer mixer that’s always worked fine for 10+ years, Behringer pedal where the effect randomly cuts out every 3rd or 4th time I try to use it. I think it’s a Quality Control issue. Behringer is capable of making a solid product, but can they do it consistently?

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:28 am

pricklyrobot wrote:Yeah, I’ve had a similar experience: Behringer mixer that’s always worked fine for 10+ years, Behringer pedal where the effect randomly cuts out every 3rd or 4th time I try to use it. I think it’s a Quality Control issue. Behringer is capable of making a solid product, but can they do it consistently?
I'm certainly not going to argue that Behringer does have some QC issues, but while I've had many things break unexpectedly in my studio, it has never been the few pieces of Behringer gear I own. I don't think anecdotal evidence of a Behringer pedal having issues says all that much. My Eventide Space started having issues after about a year and Eventide was never much help. Just to play Devil's advocate a bit... I'd argue that a whole lot of the smaller manufacturers we buy from suffer from QC issues.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:40 am

I can see the mods having great fun playing whack-a-mole with these Behringer threads. :zombie:

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:29 am

cptnal wrote:I can see the mods having great fun playing whack-a-mole with these Behringer threads. :zombie:
If folk simply exercise self-restraint and steer clear of posting political tracts, then we won’t have to do anything.

pricklyrobot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:35 am

insoul8 wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:Yeah, I’ve had a similar experience: Behringer mixer that’s always worked fine for 10+ years, Behringer pedal where the effect randomly cuts out every 3rd or 4th time I try to use it. I think it’s a Quality Control issue. Behringer is capable of making a solid product, but can they do it consistently?
I'm certainly not going to argue that Behringer does have some QC issues, but while I've had many things break unexpectedly in my studio, it has never been the few pieces of Behringer gear I own. I don't think anecdotal evidence of a Behringer pedal having issues says all that much. My Eventide Space started having issues after about a year and Eventide was never much help. Just to play Devil's advocate a bit... I'd argue that a whole lot of the smaller manufacturers we buy from suffer from QC issues.
Sure, obviously it’s anecdotal, and not terribly scientific. Just my experience. I only tried a few of their pedals several years ago, and compared to say Danelectro pedals that were around at the same time (similar price point, also plastic) they seemed especially flimsy. But like I said other gear of theirs I’ve tried has been fine. Maybe their pedals have improved too. Haven’t tried one lately.
I’m not a hardcore anti-Behringer-ite. My only real gripe is when they lift the visual design aesthetic as well as the circuit design (like with those Boss knock off pedals); that’s when, in my mind at least, they’re veering from “clones” towards “counterfeits”. But, seems like maybe they’re getting away from that with their more recent products. Here’s hoping these new modules don’t sport a “Boland” logo anyway;)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:35 am

:guinness: Here's to a normal,discussion.

I wonder if any of the newest manufacturers will reach out to Behringer. I wonder if any of the old manufacturers will.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

thehipcola
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thehipcola » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:09 am

MarcelP wrote:
namshub wrote:i'm exploding with indifference
Soon to be followed by an implosion of ennui.
heh - posts of the day.

I'm pretty stoked for inexpensive options. There's such a wildly diverse landscape of producers - I can't see Behringer really upsetting the market that much. I definitely don't see the masses climbing down from boutique mountain to replace their highly individual racks with stock Behringer modules, and am willing to bet everything stays pretty status quo for existing suppliers. Feels like the bulk of eurorack is literally built on innovation and clever ideas, let's see what Behringer has got. Almost certainly if they come up with something that strikes a chord, there will be opportunity to do it better and more uniquely for smaller manufacturers... At least that's my suspicion right now... AND - if it helps bring more market to eurorack due to price point.. at some point some of those folks will outgrow whatever cheap stuff they bought to get started and want to move upmarket for quality, features, individuality etc... Net win I think.

This of course specifically, and conveniently, sidesteps any thoughts on Behringer's history of "cloning" or business practices...but that's been discussed elsewhere at length.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”