MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New System / 5U newbie advice
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author New System / 5U newbie advice
Supermammal
Had some tax money coming I thought I might try a new format with (all eurorack currently) instead of paying bills.

I've always liked the look of big 5U systems with hefty 1/4 inch jacks.

I know when it comes to modular more is better, but let's say I just wanted to start small in 5U to get a taste of it (maybe 6-8 modules if that's doable).

Would be looking to want to make polyrythmic sounds and music more on the experimental side than traditional western melodic music, so I'd want a sequencer and enough modules to start exploring with without having to build a massive system to start.

Being 5U is all new brands and new research beyond eurorack, does any one want to make suggestions to help guide me? aka help me spend my
DJFonzi
The Synthesizers.com Thought Box is pretty interesting. You could swap out the MIDI interface for a more traditonal oscillator if you don't need it. There's also their more traditional entry sytem, which would give you a bigger case to grow into.
ppkstat
You can find information about 5U sequencers here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146072
JohnLRice
Welcome to 5U (potentially hihi ) Supermammal! w00t

What general/approximate dollar amount are you looking at spending? I ask because the following parameters you specified along with what you might be willing to spend will greatly narrow down what I might suggest:
- small maybe 6-8 modules
- want to make polyrythmic sounds
- want a sequencer
Supermammal
Thanks for the sequencer link.

@JohnLRice
I know it was probably alot to want in a small system.

Basically I'll have about ~$3000 to start. Would plan to make my own case to save money there.
That maybe won't be enough for what I want, but I was hoping it would be enough to:
1. get enough modules to play with and see how I like 5U, hopefully with some complexity and not just a tone/voice
2. get modules that I'll want to keep long term and grow with (as opposed to maybe something lesser just to get by)
2.5. get modules that would be a good start to expand on if I enjoy 5U

I usually buy new, but 5U seems much more durable than euro and will probably go used when possible to make my initial investment go further.

As for music type, I guess I didn't know what to put there. I'm into letting the equipment guide me towards a sound, I guess I just wanted a more sequenced maybe "west coastish" sound (I realize coasts don't mean much and 5U is more East Coast as far as patching) as opposed to building a synth that I'd play with a keyboard if that makes sense.
Supermammal
Moon looked like it had alot of Dual and Quad function modules, maybe that's the way to start?

https://www.modulargrid.net/d/racks/view/648126
JohnLRice
Supermammal wrote:
Moon looked like it had alot of Dual and Quad function modules, maybe that's the way to start?

https://www.modulargrid.net/d/racks/view/648126
That would be a nice system! thumbs up Although here's a modification of that system that might be a little more westcoastish? hmmm..... Mr. Green

Moon Modular 501D
Moon Modular 517 VCF
Analog Craftsman Quad A/R
Moon Modular 502D Dual VCA

Moon Modular 526 Mixer
Synthetic Sound Labs 1610 V-Gates
Moon Modular 565D Quantizer Controller
Moon Modular 594 Multiples
Encore Electronics Universal Event Generator
Moon Modular 565 v3 Quad Quantizer
Moon Modular 524 Quad VC LFO

And, before I made up that system I was trying to think what I would do based on your thoughts so i came up with the below. I was trying to avoid too much or any eurorack duplication (there are lots of ports now of eurorack to 5U, check out https://www.freestatefx.com/collections/free-state-fx-modules for instance). The below should come in well under your budget but it's hard to determine prices and even how to order Rob Hordijk's modules. seriously, i just don't get it There is a huge 6 year long thread dedicated to Hordijk that you should at least skim through to see if you are interested: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70363

Synthetic Sound Labs 1610 V-Gates
Encore Electronics Universal Event Generator
Rob Hordijk OSC HRM/Dual Env/24dB Filter
Synthesizers.com Q157 SH++ LFO/Divider/S&H/Noise/Decay/Slew
Synthesizers.com Q148 VCA++ VCA/Panner/Tune Ref./Headphone

And . . if you want a very powerful and versatile sequencer consider the GRP R24. While it would eat up a little over half your budget, it comes in it's own powered desktop case and you could use it with a small 5U system, use it with your eurorack system with inexpensive 1/4" to 3.5mm cables https://www.markertek.com/product/sp-m-3/tecnec-1-4in-mono-male-mini-m ono-male-molded-audio-cable-3ft , use it with MIDI keyboards/rack synths/drum machines/etc since it has MIDI I/O on 5 pin DIN connectors, and use it with computers etc since it has a USB connector. It can also be mounted into a 5U MU case if desired.
http://www.grpsynthesizer.it/index.php/en/products/grp-synthesizer-r24 -en.html
josaka
on Johns post above.. the hordijk sync osc is more west coast and has S/H .. so possibly you could lose the .com SH++ and the 24db Hordijk filter...
instead get a Sync Osc + HRM osc and a moon 1u 317s filter which is great.

MrNezumi
josaka wrote:
on Johns post above.. the hordijk sync osc is more west coast and has S/H .. so possibly you could lose the .com SH++ and the 24db Hordijk filter...

I think Hordijk is only sold in three module sets; you can't just order a osc and/or envelopes. And I remember reading the waiting list is nearly a year long.
josaka
waiting list times change smile .. it is a 3 panel.. osc sync/HRM Osc/dual env
JohnLRice
josaka wrote:
Thanks! My knowledge of Hordijk modules is pretty limited so I appreciate the updated/corrected suggestion. thumbs up
Neovintage
Supermammal wrote:

Would be looking to want to make polyrythmic sounds and music more on the experimental side than traditional western melodic music, so I'd want a sequencer and enough modules to start exploring with without having to build a massive system to start.

If that is really what you want, go for Hordijk. Check all videos of him and my blog, I can have polyrhythms with the DualEnv and the TriLFO together very nicely, also the OscSync and the TwinPeak are the best modules Rob created, not to mention the Rungler.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1