MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mos-Lab 911 envelope
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Mos-Lab 911 envelope
Ranxerox
I've encountered a strange issue with my 911 envelope generators; occasionally the output voltage goes high and stays there. This necessitates unplugging the gate input, at which point they go into the release phase and return to 0 volts. From then on they fire normally.

I emailed a query to Seb a few days ago, but haven't yet received a reply so... Has anyone experienced this issue before or know what it might be? hmmm.....
CZ Rider
The original 911's do this too. Usually when the trigger bounces too fast. Most MIDI to CV are not that fast, but some mechanical triggers can bounce causing the 911 to lock up
My original ARP Odyssey is a great controller but gets that bounce that fires the 911 too fast and they lock up. Guess a mechanical relay in the trigger would fix this?
SynthBaron
CZ Rider wrote:
Guess a mechanical relay in the trigger would fix this?

Well, that is what the original keyboard controllers used. But then I thought, wouldn't 960 Seqencers cause the same issue too?
diophantine
Mechanical relays can bounce, too.
CZ Rider
Switch bounce is arc of electricity fast. There are many ways to de-bounce a switch. Not sure the 960 would go that fast. Never had an issue with the 960. But did notice the 911 is susceptible to very fast bounce in a switch for trigger.
Ranxerox
I guess it's evidence of the Mos-Lab's authenticity if it's reproducing a bug in the original design cool
SynthBaron
Ranxerox wrote:
I guess it's evidence of the Mos-Lab's authenticity if it's reproducing a bug in the original design cool

I mean, I think issues with making "great" analog envelopes is why a lot of designers just throw up their hands and make DSP ones.
Ranxerox
SynthBaron wrote:
Ranxerox wrote:

I mean, I think issues with making "great" analog envelopes is why a lot of designers just throw up their hands and make DSP ones.

Hmm, even digital envelopes would require some form of trigger detection and hence still be susceptible to the bounce issue. And as CZ says, there are numerous ways of smoothing it out - a simple breadboard with a few resistors and capacitors for example.

While the issue is a bit annoying and inconvenient, there is another flaw in the 911 which I think has become a useful feature - the 'thump' at very short (sub-3ms) attack and decay settings.

Initially I was a bit non-plussed by it, but now I realise the thump is actually a useful source of percussion on sequenced material, and it can always be eliminated by backing off the attack a little bit.
SynthBaron
And there's also the CV bleedthrough through the 902, which you can emulate by multing off the EG into the audio path and mixing it in a tiny bit if you don't have one. Mr. Green
Ranxerox
Hey, that's a cool tip - thanks! I recently got a Model 15 as a 'side-car' to my main MU system, so all these 'authentic' quirks are new to me...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1