squarp hermod + digitakt

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

md1frejo
Common Wiggler

squarp hermod + digitakt

Post by md1frejo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:47 am

has anyone tried squarp hermod paried with digitakt?
Or more generally, can you send cv via midi to all 8 tracks?
and how does it compare to the eloquencer?

lot's of questions but for me it seems that hermod is the perfect bridge between digitakt and eurorack.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:24 am

i have both and have not tested yet but in theory this should be possible.

the only thing i have heard is that you are not able to connect the Digitakt to the Hermod via USB midi as this is not supported.

you can use the standard midi din out of the Digitakt into the Hermod and set each track's midi channel on the Heromod to the corresponding midi track on the Digitakt and should be good to go.

md1frejo
Common Wiggler

Post by md1frejo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:15 am

ok, thanks.
So with that setup you get essentially 8 tracks with cv and gate from midi from digitakt with all the candy like conditional trigs etc?

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:08 am

md1frejo wrote:ok, thanks.
So with that setup you get essentially 8 tracks with cv and gate from midi from digitakt with all the candy like conditional trigs etc?
exactly

md1frejo
Common Wiggler

Post by md1frejo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:02 am

I just saw expert sleepers FH-1, anyone that has experience with this one? can it also give 8 track/CV with digitakt?

Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:05 am

md1frejo wrote:I just saw expert sleepers FH-1, anyone that has experience with this one? can it also give 8 track/CV with digitakt?
Yes it can

Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:06 am

For your Digitakt, also check out the Polyend Poly module

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Post by funqpatrol » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:56 pm

I think they are working on drivers to allow digitakt/hermod communication

md1frejo
Common Wiggler

Post by md1frejo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:38 am

it seems that expert sleepers FH1 together with the expansion is 12 hp, almost same price as the hermod, although the hermod is 26 hp, it seems to be a better choice.

md1frejo
Common Wiggler

Post by md1frejo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:02 am

to make things even more complicated, I saw MI Yarn that contains a little sequencer and 4 cv/gate outputs. interesting.

Leonard de Leonard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leonard de Leonard » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:08 am

Hermod is bigger but I feel it s way more powerful and also feel that the workflow is better.

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:50 am

Just sold my Digitakt swapping out for Hermod + Octocontroller + Assimil8or which is waaaay more expensive than the digitakt but expands beyond what the Digi can do.

I do love the digitakt but I didn't like the 64 step limit, Hermod is also 64 steps but you can 'zoom' in on each track extending it much further. Plus you get the effects / random / euclid stuff. With the Rossum I get 8 individual outs and can trigger samples from within the modular (previously I had the FH-1 and really couldn't bring myself to programming it)
I make sounds and games // www.mgfm.space

octaveoctavio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by octaveoctavio » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:52 am

Any new insight on using the Hermod with Elektron gear (especially the Octatrack) ?

What about a comparasion with the way more expensive Eloquencer ?

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:05 pm

There is also the new mutant brain module from hexinverter which I have been using with the Digitakt. Only four cv outs but plenty of gates and triggers. No complains

SCOOBA_TANK
Common Wiggler

Post by SCOOBA_TANK » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:52 pm

spacezignul wrote:There is also the new mutant brain module from hexinverter which I have been using with the Digitakt. Only four cv outs but plenty of gates and triggers. No complains
Yup! That's my combo too and it's DEEEEEELICIOUS! I don't need a ton a ton of CV as i have plenty of modulation within my cases. But it's awesome to bang out some rapid fire sequences on the Digitakt and have to cases and it play so nicely together.

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:49 am

I've played with the Hermod/Digitone. They work really well together. The latest firmware update of the Hermod also looks like it duplicates the "next" switch of the Polyend Poly, so that you can rotate, say, a Digitone track midi output through some or all the cv outputs on the Hermod. It's my favorite feature of the Poly, so nice to see that Hermod will do the same thing.

nikop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nikop » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:20 am

I've also tried Hermod+Digitakt. The idea was to extend the possibilities of the effects on Hermod by using p-locks of cc messages. In this way you could have per step functionality of the effects something that Hermod is missing. However the application wasn't very successful. The problem is that cc messages have latency and so the p-locks apply to the next trigger.

This is something that I've seen before with Digitakt. Elektron tech support told me that is due to MIDI protocol limitations. However this is not happening with Digitakt+Shuttle Control where cc messages arrive always on time.

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:47 pm

nikop wrote:I've also tried Hermod+Digitakt. The idea was to extend the possibilities of the effects on Hermod by using p-locks of cc messages. In this way you could have per step functionality of the effects something that Hermod is missing. However the application wasn't very successful. The problem is that cc messages have latency and so the p-locks apply to the next trigger.

This is something that I've seen before with Digitakt. Elektron tech support told me that is due to MIDI protocol limitations. However this is not happening with Digitakt+Shuttle Control where cc messages arrive always on time.
I was literally about to start my own thread about this topic.

Recently re-started my Eurorack journey and have been messing around with sending CC message parameter locks to my modular from an Octatrack and a Poly 2, with a Multiclock between them. My goal was to approximate some of the Basimilus Iteritas/Voltage Block interactions I've seen, but with the triggers and CV coming from the same external source. Definitely getting mixed results. Wondering whether MIDI messaging itself might be the bottleneck, my next planned step was to record MIDI tracks from the OT in my DAW to check when messages were being sent.

But I also have to ask - is this even a realistic goal to have when MIDI/CV conversion is happening? Does the current chain of Octatrack/Multiclock/Poly2 have a weak link (besides me?) If so, then can this kind of "CV parameter lock" workflow be achieved using other means, like a Cirklon with the CVIO breakout box? Or Ableton Push/CV Tools along with an Expert Sleepers module like the ES-8 or ES-9?

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:11 pm

btw. : Thread is old, the OPs last visit is january `19.
But i find the DT + Hermod thematic quite interesting.

I´d say in such case: go for an FH-2 !
add a Hermod later to the setup if needed.

LameAim wrote: If so, then can this kind of "CV parameter lock" workflow be achieved using other means, like a Cirklon with the CVIO breakout box? Or Ableton Push/CV Tools along with an Expert Sleepers module like the ES-8 or ES-9?
octatrack is well known to be problematic in that respect.

DT is so, so........the DT works for me with the FH-2 sending then CCs from there.
But i had problems to midi control a moog mother for example.
pitch came one step to late, while the same midisequenze from the DT, sent to the FH-2, was working fine with the mother. go figure
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

nikop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nikop » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:58 am

The Elektron boxes are known to have this issue with their midi cc. By default midi messages (being sent serially) have a very specific order. Note-on messages come first and then cc follows. So the obvious problem is that Digitakt has a limit in how many MIDI events it can handle and how fast it can parse them. Note triggering is much more vital to keep in perfect time with the sequencer so note-on messages are prioritized.

Truth is that some interfaces like the shuttle control and the FH-2 handle this delay properly. I suspect that they just have faster midi (less latency) or maybe they use some kind of buffer controlled by the midi clock. This is just a speculation of course.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”