MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rack reverbs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Rack reverbs?
mousegarden
I've been through pedals, in fact, I don't get on with pedals at all.
So, I'm back to choosing a decent rack reverb, my short list is the Princeton Digital 2016, TC M4000, or an Eventide Eclipse. I don't like the newer Lexicons, I've been offered a PCM91, but I'm not sure.
I need this for reverb only, I've got a cheap Lexicon for delay etc.
I like the Eventide Space, but the form factor and operating system drives me crazy. But that sound is sort of seductive.
rauch
interesting. i‘m the other way around lol

lately i prefer the desktop/pedal format because of the interface, simplicity and immediacy.

never tried the 2016 seems pretty nice tho. good interface, not too much under the hood.

the only lexicon i have and like is the pcm70. sounds fantastic, but the interface is not really inviting and it‘s probably difficult to service.
rauch
maybe you should try the oto bam. simple to operate and classic sound. my favorite reverb.
Richie Jape
rauch wrote:
maybe you should try the oto bam. simple to operate and classic sound. my favorite reverb.

+1 on this although i somehow feel like i can never get 0% pre-delay with it for some reason ... heh ...

very deep and musical tones ...
Dave Peck
The Princeton is a great sounding reverb, especially for music applications as opposed to things like realistic film post work etc.

And if you like that one, I suggest you check out the older Lexicons, especially the PCM-70. Excellent musical-sounding box. And they tend to be pretty affordable on the used market.

I have two main hardware reverbs - a PCM70 for lush, musical reverbs with simple programming, and a TC Reverb4000 for the other end of the spectrum - very realistic and detailed reverb with a ton of flexibility.

Those two cover everything I need for reverb.
sutekina bipu-on
rack reverbs for life. the only pedal i think stands up against rack power is the rv500
BTG
I have a mix.

M4000 - realistic reverbs, used in post to glue things together
Mercury 7 - for sci-fi and 224XL type sounds
H8000 - Blackhole and sfx type reverbs
2016 - a little bit of everything
Ursa Major SST - special reverbs
OTO BAM - vintage/warm 70s/80s type reverb

One thing they all have in common is accessibility via controls.
The Grump
For older units, big +1 on the PCM 70. For newer ones, the Eclipse is an incredible sounding tool, and will deliver the meat and potatoes, as well as otherworldly washes of fluctuations in the aethers. I've used an Eclipse, currently have an H9Max, and I can tell you that their algorithms are some of the best ever made.

One of the keys to using Eventides is learning how, when and why to soften what may often initially come across as a brittle or chemical tonal character, and maybe more importantly, when and why to let it be. My $.02
sutekina bipu-on
I forgot to share my rack reverbs i like.

Midiverb II - the only great MIDIverb in my opinion, i've had them all except the OG, II is practically a lexicon, i recapped mine with Nichicon FG and it really gives a lexicon a run for its money. but its not a truly great verb.

Lexicon LXP15II - I upgraded a plain LXP15 with the 2.0 chip, sounds so sick, supposedly it has the 224 algos in it

Roland DEP5 - The verbs can be great or just weird, probably not the best utility reverb but has some really damn good sounds in it. Get a s950 and a dep5 and be The KLF

Korg DRV-3000 - NOT the 2000, this is the 2u one that comes with a remote control, it's like the DEP5 but way weirder. If you like reverb that goes off the deep end and the DEP5 isn't crazy enough for you consider this

Ensoniq DP2 / DP4 - Classics, i am biased towards these since i always loved the effects in my ASR, but i love having them around

Fostex DE10 - a budget unit capable of some really truly insane shit plus the reverb has this strange shimmer i've never heard from anything else.

Behringer FX2000 - What the FUCK this is good!!!!! like shockingly good. I am trying to find out if its the same algos as the X-Air mixers or not.

Lexicon MX400 - great as a utility effector but not much else IMO. Works great but sooo boring.
search64
BTG wrote:
I have a mix.

M4000 - realistic reverbs, used in post to glue things together
Mercury 7 - for sci-fi and 224XL type sounds
H8000 - Blackhole and sfx type reverbs
2016 - a little bit of everything
Ursa Major SST - special reverbs
OTO BAM - vintage/warm 70s/80s type reverb

One thing they all have in common is accessibility via controls.

How’d you like the Meris?
Blairio
The only rack reverb I have left is a midiverb4. The halls and plates in it are pretty good, and the way it sets its gain structure according to the input signal level is cool. I quite fancy a lexicon, but on the other hand pedal reverbs have become so good, and with such a small footprint.
mousegarden
That Mercury 7 sounds good, but I'd have to have a 500 version, and that means buying a rack, not the way I want to go really.
Pedals are a pain, they are designed to accept guitar level signals, and very easily overload on aux sends, this, combined with no meters is a right royal PITA.
The Eclipse is good, but I had an H3000 and people have told me the Eclipse is cold in comparison.
I like simple interfaces too, the Princeton 2016 is tops so far, only one thing stopping me, it doesn't seem to have very long reverb times, and I can't find out how long, exactly.
The BAM I've tried, and didn't like, just didn't come across as anything special.
I've also heard good things about the Behringer FX2000, cheap, but let's not confuse quality with price, sometimes they are unrelated.
search64
mousegarden wrote:
That Mercury 7 sounds good, but I'd have to have a 500 version, and that means buying a rack, not the way I want to go really.
Pedals are a pain, they are designed to accept guitar level signals, and very easily overload on aux sends, this, combined with no meters is a right royal PITA.

Not true. If you look at the back of the Meris pedal, you'll see an indicator light for Line/Synth level. It in fact has a switchable input level. Synth level goes to +12.5dBu.
JohnLRice
search64 wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

Not true. If you look at the back of the Meris pedal, you'll see an indicator light for Line/Synth level. It in fact has a switchable input level. Synth level goes to +12.5dBu.
thumbs up
mousegarden
search64 wrote:

Thanks, I didn't know that. I'll investigate further, I'll need a 500 rack though, but hey! I can always use that to replace my modular GAS hihi
I've just mailed Eventide support about max decay times on the 2016, but I feel even though the interface is good and simple, it may not go far enough for me as far as extreme reverb effects are concerned, the Eclipse may be better.
seamonkeyman
Depending upon how you define ‘decent’....

Bricasti M7 and Quantec QRS are very much worth a look. I cycled through numerous pedals before I ended up with those 2, plus Space and a few springs. The Great British Spring is a decent pretty big stereo spring, which is worth a look, I think Portishead used one, it’s >1m long, so not really a rack...
search64
mousegarden wrote:
search64 wrote:

Thanks, I didn't know that. I'll investigate further, I'll need a 500 rack though, but hey! I can always use that to replace my modular GAS hihi
I've just mailed Eventide support about max decay times on the 2016, but I feel even though the interface is good and simple, it may not go far enough for me as far as extreme reverb effects are concerned, the Eclipse may be better.

Why'd you need a 500 rack? Talking about the pedal...
JohnLRice
I keep posting about the Tegeler Audio Raumzeitmaschine in reverb threads in the hopes someone else will buy one so I can live vicarioulsy through them! hihi It's got tubes and transformers and sounds very good IMHO.
https://www.tegeler-audio-manufaktur.de/Raumzeitmaschine_Tube_Reverb

I think it sounds awesome from what I can tell from the demos. Sounds very Quantec like to me? I like the simple handsome design too except I'm still scratching my head over the strange level display! hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it It's also quite expensive at over $3,300 so it's up into the Bricasti and Quantec price range. While the motorized pots are slick, I think a majority of studio engineers would rarely if ever make use of that so a simpler and lower cost non-motorized version would be welcomed?
mousegarden
JohnLRice wrote:
I keep posting about the Tegeler Audio Raumzeitmaschine in reverb threads in the hopes someone else will buy one so I can live vicarioulsy through them! hihi It's got tubes and transformers and sounds very good IMHO.
https://www.tegeler-audio-manufaktur.de/Raumzeitmaschine_Tube_Reverb

I think it sounds awesome from what I can tell from the demos. Sounds very Quantec like to me? I like the simple handsome design too except I'm still scratching my head over the strange level display! hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it It's also quite expensive at over $3,300 so it's up into the Bricasti and Quantec price range. While the motorized pots are slick, I think a majority of studio engineers would rarely if ever make use of that so a simpler and lower cost non-motorized version would be welcomed?

Looks interesting, I'll investigate, you can borrow one for fourteen days, so I will!
Looks a bit gimmicky though, motorised knobs, and that display.
JohnLRice
mousegarden wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
I keep posting about the Tegeler Audio Raumzeitmaschine

Looks interesting, I'll investigate, you can borrow one for fourteen days, so I will!
Cool! If can record and post some audio samples of synths through it that would be awesome but at least your written impressions will be valuable.
mousegarden
JohnLRice wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
I keep posting about the Tegeler Audio Raumzeitmaschine

Cool! If can record and post some audio samples of synths through it that would be awesome but at least your written impressions will be valuable.

I've got to track one down, of course, my expectations will be huge and unreasonable, I'd rather have been told it cost £300 rather than £3,000!

hihi
monads
TC Reverb 4000
H8000FW
Bricasti M7 w/M7 control plugin

The Raumzeitmaschine looks interesting, gonna check the demos out.
andybizarre
search64 wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

Same goes for the Space pedal. It has a guitar/line level switch on the backside. If you don`t like the interface, there`s H9control which could also be used for metering.
My only gripe with the Space is the assignment of parameters to the expression pedal. It sucks. Which is a shame, because as long as you don`t exceed 3V, the pedal can be controlled with the modular. Maybe I should look more into it... hmmm.....
Michael O.
Have you considered a Lexicon 300? I feel like it’s the best reverb deal out there these days by a fairly wide margin, and definitely has more of the old (480 era) Lexi sound. Iirc you had a 224/x/xl back in the day- why’d you part with that one?

In general I prefer the Lexicon verb sound to Eventide’s style, but the 2016 is a great unit, although the odd man out soundwise amongst the ones you listed.
dkcg
andy's post reminded me...
Some may not know that the expression pedal control in the Mercury 7 is morphing between presets, not just one knob.

Like twisting all 6 knobs at once.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2