MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

EMS Synthi or The Steiner P Synthacon
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author EMS Synthi or The Steiner P Synthacon
sleestack808
your thoughts
papz
apple or banana ?
Pierrelegere
I would definetly go for the Synthi

... or the Synthacon..?

hmmm.....
chamomileshark
I'll try and be constructive.

You need to define more what it is you want to do with it.

They are very different things and they have different strengths and weaknesses.
sleestack808
they both are similar to me. They both are totally unique in the synth world.
Its hard to say really what Im looking for. I think the synthi has the oscillators and the synthacon has the filter. So many synthi examples are lousy but the good ones are really good.
papz
Any Synthi can be a good one really good... as long as it's restored and serviced as it should, but not many people can do it.

Aging affects the Synthacon as well.

All old synths become lousy because electronic parts degrade inevitably.
sleestack808
I meant youtube demos of the synthi are often terrible, but the good ones are amazing
taran
Synthi - the matrix is just wonderful. Unpredictable, organic, hours can be lost just experimenting with patches.
sleestack808
maybe synthi plus synthacon filter euro module,
sleestack808
You suppose crosstalk in the patchpin matrix is a plus or a minus?
momo
Plus! A lot of the character comes from the stock (i.e. unbuffered) matrix.
MindMachine
sleestack808 wrote:
I meant youtube demos of the synthi are often terrible, but the good ones are amazing

You never know until you try. Boat
chrisso
sleestack808 wrote:
they both are similar to me. They both are totally unique in the synth world.
Its hard to say really what Im looking for. I think the synthi has the oscillators and the synthacon has the filter. So many synthi examples are lousy but the good ones are really good.

I disagree.
The Synthacon is quite similar to a Mini-Moog or Arp Odyssey. The Synthi is completely unique in features and sound.
I'm a Synthacon owner and I absolutely love it by the way.
It's not JUST about the filter.
They really are apples and oranges as was said at the beginning. The Synthi (which I've used) is kind of unruly, hard to tame. It's experimental sounding and very raw.
The Synthacon can be very melodic (like a Moog). It has that warm analog sound. The filter is very flexible and great sounding. I've had some Buchlaesque metallic sounds out of it, great percussion and drum sounds, but also standard bass synth and leads.
I think the Synthi is more of a departure into esoteric and experimental. The Synthacon is safer, but a great sounding mono synth.
So in a way, you really do need to decide what you are looking for in these synths - and not just rarity, collector value.
chrisso
And I've never heard a modern clone that nails the Synthacon filter.
I think most of them are modelled after the Synthasystem filter anyway.
sleestack808
Only answer is to buy both. Shame the synthacon prices are getting nuts.
The Synthi's Oscillator knows are like old test oscillators. They cross a huge range.
chrisso
The only couple of Synthacons I've seen for sale in recent years have been through synth dealers at premium prices.
So good luck finding one at a reasonable price.
sleestack808
how are the oscillators on the synthacon? Demos I've heard are all filter.
sleestack808
Nice melodic vcs3 video

https://youtu.be/lm4ZsIZBW5A
chrisso
sleestack808 wrote:
how are the oscillators on the synthacon? Demos I've heard are all filter.

As it is a hardwired synth none of the demos can be 'all filter'.
As I say, sound wise the synth is on a par with an original Mini-Moog, Arp 2600 or Odyssey. It's a classic warm sounding analog.
It has a few interesting features like a trigger pulse and a duophonic keyboard.
The oscillators FM very well, giving some Buchla style metallic sounds.
sleestack808
I didn't mean all filter literally
ian-c
papz wrote:
apple or banana ?

banana.
chrisso
sleestack808 wrote:
I didn't mean all filter literally

I get it, but every part of a hardwired synth impacts the end sound.
sleestack808
I stand by my opinion, and it is just an opinion, the Synthi and the Synthacon are similar in respect that they have a very unique. Very different than any other mono synths. Ive owned all the synths you mentioned. Minimoogs, Arps, They don't even sound nearly close to the synthacon. They are more predictable and tame sounding.
sleestack808
of course this is all based on what sound examples I can grab from the net.

If you have a synthacon I would love to hear your version. There is very little on the net. There is one recording on Soundcloud, and a hand full of youtube videos
If you're a collector: Synthacon!

IF you're also a collector: Synthi!

If you are interested in more unique sound design: Synthi hands down.

Synthacon prices are obscene, truly in collector land...there are plenty of monosynths i'd rather have.

Synthi while it can be a monosynth is rather shit at it. It's an awesome bizzaro synth that nothing else can touch and I miss mine dreadfully everyday.

But you have to ask yourself...how much do you love bubble sounnds and doctor who ?

seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3