MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

'Sound Like' - Nils Fram
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author 'Sound Like' - Nils Fram
bchampion96
Hey chaps,

I'm massively inspired by Nils Frahm and I was wondering if you could help me chase a sound similar to the lead/bass from 'Sunson' from the album All Melody?

I love the brassy character of the filter/lpg. Sawtooth and sine oscillators? What modules/synths does this sound suggest to you?

Cheers,

bchampion96
a100user
probably one of his Roland Juno 6/60's

He tends to process them through Roland Space Echo alot too.
Krankenwagen
Maybe a touch of comb filter in there too?
petersandbach
It's such an amazing sound isn't it. I saw him live recently and went home trying to create something equally heavy in the bass department with similar brassy overtones and didn't get anywhere close even with 3 unison oscillators!

There's some considered programming of gate length which needs to be put into the mix.

And very careful attenuation of control voltage signals, envelopes and the like.

Is it a Juno filter? That would make sense...
bchampion96
petersandbach wrote:
It's such an amazing sound isn't it. I saw him live recently and went home trying to create something equally heavy in the bass department with similar brassy overtones and didn't get anywhere close even with 3 unison oscillators!

There's some considered programming of gate length which needs to be put into the mix.

And very careful attenuation of control voltage signals, envelopes and the like.

Is it a Juno filter? That would make sense...

I saw him live too! Such an experience, when he opened with sunson grin Jove might do the trick perhaps...
bchampion96
a100user wrote:

A careful delay/verb combo then smile Always wanted a Juno!
bchampion96
Krankenwagen wrote:
What would that add? I've heard demos of the 2hp comb, and I know what the effect is, but I'm wondering how you'd apply it to such a sound? Cheers!
petersandbach
bchampion96 wrote:

I saw him live too! Such an experience, when he opened with sunson grin Jove might do the trick perhaps...

It was amazing!

Yep, Jove filter might do it.

Also the oscillators seem to be tuned to 5ths, or there is an overtone in 5ths, perhaps from a tuned 1v/Oct self resonant filter?
mateo
Pretty certain the bass on that one is sh2
Krankenwagen
bchampion96 wrote:
Krankenwagen wrote:
What would that add? I've heard demos of the 2hp comb, and I know what the effect is, but I'm wondering how you'd apply it to such a sound? Cheers!

A comb filter can have certain sweet spots. Depending on how the wave forms overlap they can cancel out or amplify certain frequencies. You can add extra resonance and thickness to a bass sound by doing this.
Probably wrong but it's one of the few techniques I know for adding some extra "oomph" to a sound.

Actually from around 3:40ish this demo video gives a good example of the resonator effect I'm talking about.

Toshni123
I'm going to see him this Friday night (18th May) in Singapore, super stoked.

Expecting him to reenergise my modular bug as I haven't twiddled for a month or two....
MrNovember
Huge fan of Nils! I saw him not too long ago in Toronto! He's actually really funny too; had some great stories to tell between songs!

I would assume either of these is pretty accurate as he appears to be reaching for both the Juno 60 and the SH1 in that video:
a100user wrote:

mateo wrote:

Watch this video for a sense of his setup:
bchampion96
MrNovember wrote:
Huge fan of Nils! I saw him not too long ago in Toronto! He's actually really funny too; had some great stories to tell between songs!

I would assume either of these is pretty accurate as he appears to be reaching for both the Juno 60 and the SH1 in that video:
a100user wrote:

mateo wrote:

Watch this video for a sense of his setup:

I was a big fan of his between song chats when I saw him in cambridge! grin
Toshni123
Toshni123 wrote:
I'm going to see him this Friday night (18th May) in Singapore, super stoked.

Expecting him to reenergise my modular bug as I haven't twiddled for a month or two....

Well he didn't disappoint, awesome concert, last song and encore was brilliant. Even the missus was impressed "why can't you make music like that on your stuff?.... eek! eek! "
bchampion96
Toshni123 wrote:
"why can't you make music like that on your stuff?.... eek! eek! "

That's rough buddy D: At least she recognised how inspiring he is! grin
Toshni123
bchampion96 wrote:
Toshni123 wrote:
"why can't you make music like that on your stuff?.... eek! eek! "

That's rough buddy D: At least she recognised how inspiring he is! grin

My thoughts exactly.....every time a bleep comes out the modular now I get a shout from downstairs saying " FAIL...try again.....no where near.....how hard can it be...etc etc!!"

Its quite amusing as she secretly knows its difficult as she even failed to find the power-on switch the other day!!! hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1