MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Unique/interesting controller module suggestion
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Unique/interesting controller module suggestion
propertyof
I've been looking for an additional cv controller module with interesting approach. Right now I have a microphonie/ears in my rack and a field kit is coming soon.
I'm trying to avoid the traditional "piano" touch panel style, joystick seems ok. so far, my eyes on ADDAC303 Muscle Sensing. been watching for Soundmachines lightstrip & lightplane too beside the Doepfer A-178 V2 theremin. and Mister Grassi looks cool too. Buchla 222e

Any suggestion for a controller module with unique approach that I need to check?
The Junglechrist
To link a few of the most interresting in my opinion :

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellijel-tetrapad

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/soundmachines-arches

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/make-noise-pressure-points

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-touch-sensing-note-memory

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/mengqimusic-voltage-memory
sleepgardens
Soundmachine Arches seems fit for you since you already looked into their llightstrips and lightplanes.
bengersfood
Or what about Expert Sleepers FH-1 and then you can plug in all kinds of crazy USB enabled things?
GoneCaving
The Monome modules are worth a look. Grid+Ansible+Teletype gets you to all sorts of interesting places.
Summa
I like controllers as I need them to play, a recent acquisition that really opened up some new territory is the TSNM by Doboz, many nice features on that one and compares to the Make Noise offers (Press Point and René) the touch panels are working flawlessly.

Intellijels Planar is really good too

I had the Mr Grassi for a while but it didn't allow for much control more like a crackle-box type random fucker-upper.

The Expressive-e Touché on the other hand is really cool external controller, has midi and FOUR cv outputs, pretty nifty and like no other controller I've used before, takes a bit of practice I must say but once you get a hang of it it's a great tool for expressive (duh) controls.
bc3
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/instruo-neonach
sackley
+1 to the LightStrip. Brilliant module. If you have 4hp to spare it's worth a shot. I have one in a small case and it will never leave - it adds such a reliable and immediate way to interact with the system.

Actually now that I've finally racked up a LP1 too, I would almost lean towards 4 LS1s over 1 LP1, but it's still interesting and adds a different dimension (quite literally). Arches looks wild, if not a bit overkill for me personally.

Interested in other suggestions and experiences. Nice topic.
dozicusmaximus
Meng Qi Lines

http://www.modulargrid.net/e/mengqimusic-lines-%E7%BA%BF
hyena
i opted for fh-1 with whatever usb controller AND monome ansible + grid
D_Robot
How about the Brainterface no hands on control required, well no real control at all to be fair but it is totally unique to the individual!
boramx
Planar is an incredible module, with lots of applications way beyond general joystick control.

the doepfer a198 is possible the most used module of mine in 16 years of eurorack.

for really strange and unexpected sounds and effects the Teleplexer (Meng qi lines is similar i imagine?) is quite good.

the Lightplane is a fantastic bargain and quite useful.
D_Robot
boramx wrote:
...for really strange and unexpected sounds and effects the Teleplexer (Meng qi lines is similar i imagine?) is quite good...

Teleplexer is great, but for what it is, I always felt needing two hands to use effectively is restricting and it is a pain having to manage the loose cables. Of course, a different matter if you have this on hand...
damase
Consider the new Livestock Electronics Maze module... unique controller with interesting approach for mixing and mangling cv signals.

I dont own one, but i want one!
noisewreck
http://synthwerks.com/
Standup
I picked up a ROLI Block controller recently, and it’s really fun for controlling softsynths. USB device, so maybe one day I’ll pick up an FH-1 and try to get it controlling modular stuff. It was kind of cheap, $139, and it’s pretty fun.

But connecting it to the modular will require a piece of hardware that looks annoying.
Paranormal Patroler
I'm considering getting a second ADDAC 302 Nchunk controller module. I had one but sold it because it was too deep. Not sure if the red version is equally deep but mine was golden (first version) and way too deep for my case. It's not super precise but it was very expressive and I liked how you can control multiple directions/cvs with one hand.
Summa
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
I'm considering getting a second ADDAC 302 Nchunk controller module. I had one but sold it because it was too deep. Not sure if the red version is equally deep but mine was golden (first version) and way too deep for my case. It's not super precise but it was very expressive and I liked how you can control multiple directions/cvs with one hand.

The new version of the 302 is very skiff friendly, about 30mm deep thumbs up
Paranormal Patroler
Summa wrote:

The new version of the 302 is very skiff friendly, about 30mm deep thumbs up

Wow! Really? I did not know that! Definitely getting one then hyper
propertyof
Wow lots of really nice suggestions here! thanks guys!

Summa wrote:

I had the Mr Grassi for a while but it didn't allow for much control more like a crackle-box type random fucker-upper.

i was thinking to get a planar before, but i found out that planar 2 is on the horizon, so i think i should wait for a bit more.
and thanks for sharing about your mister grassi experiences.

and some nice testimonials on the lightstrip here. made me sure about it now.

another interesting stuff from ADDAC. pretty expensive for my pocket, but will definitely check the second hand market. by the way, is it only me or ADDAC website is down right now? can't access it.

anyway most controller modules available out there are using touch sensitive panel approach.. now it makes me wonder, besides the ones that already mentioned here (addac302 & 303, doepfer theremin, ears/mikrophonie etc), is there any other modules that using "no-hand" approach for their expressive control?
i mean like someone should make a vocal responsive controller! eek!
Paranormal Patroler
Their site is down but they're aware. Sent them an email as I tried to check out the ADDAC302 after Summa said it's not as deep!
Summa
propertyof wrote:

anyway most controller modules available out there are using touch sensitive panel approach.. now it makes me wonder, besides the ones that already mentioned here (addac302 & 303, doepfer theremin, ears/mikrophonie etc), is there any other modules that using "no-hand" approach for their expressive control?

Well you can always use whatever type of audio material into an envelope follower to control stuff in the modular, again ADDAC has a really good envelope follower ADDAC401 that gives you 8 gates derived from the input.
Pulp Logic's Entry Point is another fun module that also works as a preamp and you not only get an envelope out but also a Squarewave output that's really interesting to use as a modulator.

You can also of course use your feet with expression pedals, plenty of options for those too.
chysn
I've been looking everywhere for the perfect Eurorack controller for years. Pressure Points was somewhat close, but my home is plagued by radio interference, and I gave up after trying a few copies of Pressure Points.

I eagerly awaited Arches, but it always seemed to be just over the horizon.

I finally thought I'd give Tetrapad a shot. After about three days of learning its various modes, I was totally in love with Tetrapad. I bought a second one, and built a little skiff for them using a Make Noise Mini Power.

This is exactly the controller I've always wanted. Responsive, expressive, tons of functionality. I usually pair it with Boss Bow Tie to route the Tetrapads' outputs around my system in various ways. It's been a long road, but this is my controller of choice now.

uniquepersonno2
chysn wrote:
I've been looking everywhere for the perfect Eurorack controller for years. Pressure Points was somewhat close, but my home is plagued by radio interference, and I gave up after trying a few copies of Pressure Points.

I finally thought I'd give Tetrapad a shot. After about three days of learning its various modes, I was totally in love with Tetrapad. I bought a second one, and built a little skiff for them using a Make Noise Mini Power.

This is exactly the controller I've always wanted. Responsive, expressive, tons of functionality. I usually pair it with Boss Bow Tie to route the Tetrapads' outputs around my system in various ways. It's been a long road, but this is my controller of choice now.

Slightly off topic, but that’s a really nice compact system. Props
propertyof
Summa wrote:
propertyof wrote:

Well you can always use whatever type of audio material into an envelope follower to control stuff in the modular, again ADDAC has a really good envelope follower ADDAC401 that gives you 8 gates derived from the input.
Pulp Logic's Entry Point is another fun module that also works as a preamp and you not only get an envelope out but also a Squarewave output that's really interesting to use as a modulator.

You can also of course use your feet with expression pedals, plenty of options for those too.

Damn i think i need another case specific only for ADDAC modules..
I tried to find about the 401 Gated Envelope Follower in their website but can only find 403 Forbidden right now hihi

While looking for ADDAC302 Nchunk info, I found about Minigorille CV Graphics. This one seems has very interesting idea and fit to my concept. Anyone has experience with it?
slumberjack
i tried a couple of touchplates / controllers and the ones with the most suitable feel and result soundwise were the fsr from synthwerks. there is also a diy-able controller from korb modular which is quite similar to the synthwerks.

also the doboz tsnm looks impressive.
propertyof
THIS ME WANT!
http://pulplogic.com/product/breath-control/

Should update my case with 1U sections
Jumbuktu
chysn wrote:

Love the aesthetic of this system. I am off to check out Tetrapad now!

++ to both Lightplane and Meng Qi VM.
slumberjack
propertyof wrote:
THIS ME WANT!

Jedi "i'm your father"
Paranormal Patroler
propertyof wrote:
THIS ME WANT!

It also exists as a 4hp module. hihi
propertyof
propertyof wrote:
THIS ME WANT!

It also exists as a 4hp module. hihi

damn! just realized that, thanks! screaming goo yo
ersatzplanet
Promote my own stuff time!

propertyof
just found it from Superbooth, this is very cool & seems really fun!

Backed! It's peanut butter jelly time!
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wave-control-sounds-with-motion#/
hyena
(double)
Paranormal Patroler
Had a play with the ring-thingie during SB. I'm definitely getting one if it comes out. The price is super nice for what it offers. Could be a very interesting controller!
Bishop Dust

SlayerBadger! I approve - 5 CVs and 2 gates in one hand - you cannot beat that !
ersatzplanet
Bishop Dust wrote:

SlayerBadger! I approve - 5 CVs and 2 gates in one hand - you cannot beat that !

You can do 4 CVs and 4 gates with a FSR-4 or a FSR-4C/B. And handed multi-control is great.
soundmachines
Hello to everyone!
Think about adding some new material for the (arches).
It's defintely coming after the summer:

PS if someone want to grab one on the secondary crowdfunding have a look here:

http://igg.me/at/ldjA9yVkyNo/x/18802498

Have a look at some vids!

cloudleft
Snyderphonics Manta + MantaMate are fantastic if you can spare about 400mA on the +12V rail. (MantaMate module powers the Manta controller, hence the big current draw.)

The MantaMate doesn't require a Manta to operate and can also be controlled with MIDI or miscellaneous HIDs. It can act both as a device and as a host. I highly recommend! https://snyderphonics.com/
propertyof
Fresh from NAMM 19!

Always want a Buchla Thunder for euro, seems we have it now.

Anyway, I believe iPad has this kind of potential (I love playing with my animoog keyboard), too bad there’s no one interested to develop an independent app for this kind of function..
slumberjack
propertyof wrote:
Fresh from NAMM 19!

Always want a Buchla Thunder for euro, seems we have it now.

Anyway, I believe iPad has this kind of potential (I love playing with my animoog keyboard), too bad there’s no one interested to develop an independent app for this kind of function..

i'm at point where i will go for a fh-2 and a mpe controller which i thought the k-board pro 4 will be but since i placed an order almost over a year ago i'm frustrated and this looks nice.
luchog
If you're looking for something simple, the Zorx controllers are quite nice.

https://www.zorxelectronics.com/
airfrankenstein
The TSNM looks fantastic. I just went through the manual and have a question : does it have storage banks for sequences ?
The Meng Qi, my other choice, has the latter but lacks the expressive capacities that the TSNM interface seems to offer.

Summa wrote:
I like controllers as I need them to play, a recent acquisition that really opened up some new territory is the TSNM by Doboz, many nice features on that one and compares to the Make Noise offers (Press Point and René) the touch panels are working flawlessly.

The Expressive-e Touché on the other hand is really cool external controller, has midi and FOUR cv outputs, pretty nifty and like no other controller I've used before, takes a bit of practice I must say but once you get a hang of it it's a great tool for expressive (duh) controls.
propertyof
This new ADDAC System perfect for your valentine

slumberjack
propertyof wrote:
This new ADDAC System perfect for your valentine

love love love love clock source love love love love
slumberjack
airfrankenstein wrote:
The TSNM looks fantastic. I just went through the manual and have a question : does it have storage banks for sequences ?
The Meng Qi, my other choice, has the latter but lacks the expressive capacities that the TSNM interface seems to offer.

hesitating a bit because i want to avoid menu diving. maybe i'm scared my head could burst because one too many os to learn.

i asked ladik once if he will come up with an interface. he has sketched at least the idea but other prototypes are in the shelf he wrote. guess it was like a year ago.
mdoudoroff
I’ve got an FH-2 and its ability to save configuration means that you can set up various USB controllers once (tedious, really requires a computer and web browser, but once you’ve done it once or twice, it’s easy enough) and pretty quickly call up whichever config you want using the little encoder and menu. Certain params like the slew limiter behavior aren’t covered by the saved configurations, however, meaning you have to then manually set them or make a separate preset. So, it’s… a little fiddly.

By contrast, for example, the forthcoming Verbos Mini Horse is patch and play.

I haven’t used the Sensel Morph, but my immediate suspicion is that by trying to be all things it’s not actually good at anything. Would love to be proven wrong.

One reason a joystick like PLANAR rocks is that—unless you lack fine motor control—you can do very subtle stuff with it that you cannot really do with a touch strip. The down-side to joysticks is that it can be hard to grasp or un-grasp the joystick without nudging it.
slumberjack
mini horse looks nice and the output option are intersting.
propertyof
It’s the time of superbooth again, which means there would be some new interesting stuff.

I just found about this from soundmachines

And the whole series just hyper
https://www.sound-machines.it/cms/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/soundmach ines-EuroTouch-2019.p3.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1QvEBfTPDqIXhG-LtNpx73rX-XHsiCbl Ci1NF9E1SxJrSiY8rq8yMVVB4
morgulbee
Pittsburgh Modular has the Lifeforms Touch Controller, part of the Voltage Research Laboratory but available separately. Kickstarter was funded today, should be available in September.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/pittsburgh-modular-lifeforms-touch-contr oller
Rex Coil 7
propertyof wrote:
It’s the time of superbooth again, which means there would be some new interesting stuff.

I just found about this from soundmachines

And the whole series just hyper
https://www.sound-machines.it/cms/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/soundmach ines-EuroTouch-2019.p3.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1QvEBfTPDqIXhG-LtNpx73rX-XHsiCbl Ci1NF9E1SxJrSiY8rq8yMVVB4

Woa! Soundmachines seems to have stepped up their game strategy with that new line of modules. I've got 2 Lightstrips and 1 Lightplane .. quite happy with them. Combining their Lightstrip with actual synth circuits the way they've done it with their new lineup is brilliant.

thumbs up
propertyof
This looks really interesting. Looking forward with excitement for chair.audio

roolbg
For me, my modular is all about this type of interaction. Have pressure points, teleplexer, pulp logic breath control, menqi lines.

Prefer the lines to the teleplexer but love using the breath control to make a eurorack bagpipes. Would love a joystick module!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 3