MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[HOLY CRAP BLUE LEDS] Ideas for reducing brightness
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author [HOLY CRAP BLUE LEDS] Ideas for reducing brightness
dooj88
I got a turing machine in the mail with retina searing blue leds. WMD uses blue leds and those are perfectly fine.. these are magnitudes brighter and distractingly awful.. it has the pulses expander so there's a lot of light coming from this module.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for reducing the brightness that don't involve a soldering iron but still look nice.. i was thinking of maybe some stick on jewels from michael's that are slightly transparent... anyone else have to deal with this?
kcd06
I use a hole punch and blue painters tape.
Dcramer
White nail polish is reputed to do the trick thumbs up
I haven’t tried it but I do have a Livewire Dual Cyclotron with blue led that sears the paint off the walls. woah
AW198
I'm interested in this thread because now that my sight is slowly returning from turning on my uZeus, I'm starting to see that the ducktape I covered the LEDs with while in a semi-conscious haze of blue hell isn't so pretty.
dooj88
the hole punch idea is quite clever, i'll keep that in mind.

Dcramer i'd considered whiteout, i had to use it for a light on my mixer... but in case i want to pass this module along later i want to find something less permanent. i'll keep yall posted.
commodorejohn
If it's not vital, I'd just tape over it completely.

If it is vital, I'd go find the person who designed it that way and give them a good hard slap across the face.
ersatzplanet
The thing with blue LEDs is that they are heavy un UV light making them even more irritating. I haven tried it but someone should try out a different color Blacklight paint and see what happens.
sutekina bipu-on
This is all because we didn't push back against blue LEDs hard enough in the early QuakeCon days honestly. The best thing to do is put a resistor on the leds or just put electrical tape over them. 2 layers of electrical tape will dull a great amount of it.
gimber
I had a 2nd hand uZeus for a while that had silver paint over the LED. Looked like it was from a paint marker, and actually worked great. More permanent than tape of course.
Cybananna
Don’t worry. Once the searing blue LEDs burn your eyes out, you won’t notice it anymore.
ranix
you can put a current reducing resistor in series with the LED, try 1k, 2k, 5k, 10k
sduck
commodorejohn wrote:
I'd go find the person who designed it that way and give them a good hard slap across the face.


<slapped> oh sorry. It's probably not the one I built for someone who requested blue LEDs. That one was 5U, and seriously blinding. But maybe it is. Just doing what was requested.

(do not stare into laser with your remaining working eye)

Anybody with any DIY skillz could probably swap them out for some nice, tame greens, orange or yellows if you want.
MindMachine
I remember when everyone was up in arms against the Doepfer blue LED's. They are now the tamest in my systems. Iv'e tried masking tape, electrical tape and Scotch type tape (not the cellophane style but the milky finish stuff).

My new Sloths module not only has LED's that go loud blue, but they are huge. I may try the nail polish or White out trick. Bless 4MS and others who have front panel trimmers for their LED's.
dooj88
sduck wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:
I'd go find the person who designed it that way and give them a good hard slap across the face.


<slapped> oh sorry. It's probably not the one I built for someone who requested blue LEDs. That one was 5U, and seriously blinding. But maybe it is. Just doing what was requested.

(do not stare into laser with your remaining working eye)

Anybody with any DIY skillz could probably swap them out for some nice, tame greens, orange or yellows if you want.


nah, this is euro.. a turing machine with pulses and volts expander w/ the grayscale panel. whoever built it was a sadistic SOB.. plus it's at eye level in my rack where i sit..

i do have some 40 mcd yellow, green and orange leds that i bought with the intention of making radio music more colorful. but quicky found out my ambition exceeds my experience.. after recently frying a module attempting to replace a bad jack [dunno...] and not able to unsolder the leds from radio music i'm very weary of trying it myself. though my iron is old and probably has too large a heating dealy.. i should get a proper one one and give it an honest try..

MindMachine wrote:
I remember when everyone was up in arms against the Doepfer blue LED's. They are now the tamest in my systems. Iv'e tried masking tape, electrical tape and Scotch type tape (not the cellophane style but the milky finish stuff).

My new Sloths module not only has LED's that go loud blue, but they are huge. I may try the nail polish or White out trick. Bless 4MS and others who have front panel trimmers for their LED's.


i love muh blinkenlights.. so much so that i sometimes take into consideration the visual aspect when choosing where to place it in the rack. yeah, bless them for that trimmer.

i'll work on it today and take some before/after shots for the hell of it.
Eric the Red
I read somewhere on here that you can lightly sand the LEDs.. diffusing the light a bit and reducing brightness...

Forgot where I read it on here, and who said it..
GuyaGuy
jkjelec
Oh man, you folks have me LOL!hihi (Says the recent buyer of a Cyndustries module with a retina-burning "updgrade")
tnktni
GuyaGuy wrote:


Haha... always rock sunglasses on the modular - problem solved.
tnktni
But in all seriousness, some strategically place blue tape should help you out.
mij
I can't stand blue LEDs. I don't get how anybody would think they're a good idea in any environment... maybe it's my eyes. Just got a TEMPI, and I'll keep it as no other module does what I need it for, but man would it look a hundred times better with white/yellow/green/whatever LEDs instead of blue.
Pelsea
I hear the same complaint from my model railroad buddies. The led headlights are too bright. Paint works—drop by your local gamers store and get a bottle of vallejo light blue.
GGW
Similar to above, I've had good luck with paint. I had a pair of active monitors with those bright blue LEDs at eye level. Paint over the LED with black model paint and, after it is dry, get a pin and scratch out just a bit of the center so that a bit of blue light shines through.
Spanningtree
Sharpie used here.
pugix
I don't even like the WMD ones.
dkcg
Dcramer wrote:
White nail polish is reputed to do the trick thumbs up
I haven’t tried it but I do have a Livewire Dual Cyclotron with blue led that sears the paint off the walls. woah


I forget which modules I used it on, probably the dual cyclotron or other livewire modules, but just plain whiteout like you use to fix errors on paper. That way it just scratches off and isn't permanent. Probably won't look as nice as a white enamel nail polish, but not it's not as permanent.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group