MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Noob question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Noob question
sonic
this may be a dumb question, but If I were to buy a cheap new small combo or head tube amp like a champ 600 or a Valve jr could I use NOS tubes? Will it work properly? Or will it explode?
Kent
It'll work fine as long as they are the same tube type: 6L6 for 6L6 etc... However, I don't think that you'll notice a difference that would be worth the expense. It may make more sense to seek out quality modern tubes (J.J., Groove Tubes, etc.) instead.
sonic
Cool thats good to know. So there wouldnt be much difference in sound quality? like better clean or dirty tones.
Muff Wiggler
bearing in mind my experience has been with a fairly high-end amp...

i found the difference in NOS and modern 'premium' tubes enormous. i simply cannot go back. once in a while i try and it's literally painful on my ears. in particular the return of the ice-pick highs and need to crank the treble cut on my amp confused

I wonder if perhaps it wouldn't make an even bigger diffference on a cheaper amp? hard to say. I do know that nothing being made today in tubes even approaches a fraction of the quality of what was being done back in the day.
sonic
Thats what I thought... but do they work properly in modern amps( do they run at like the correct voltage and stuff) like they would in a old amps?
thermionicjunky
It's fine as long as it's the same type, or even a suitable substitute. Some substitutes may provide a bit less gain, but they may add less noise, for instance.
Kent
My point was that it would be wiser to invest the money spent on NOS tubes in either:

1) an overall better amp
2) a better output transformer and speaker

This is based solely upon the amps that live in the price-range that were mentioned.
Muff Wiggler's amp is a Swart and is already pretty much a fully up-rated amplifier and the investment in quality components has already been made by the designer.
Muff Wiggler
Kent wrote:
My point was that it would be wiser to invest the money spent on NOS tubes in either:

1) an overall better amp

this is true....them fancy old tubes ain't cheap. and they also tend to be addictive lol

you would get more mileage out of speaks and iron, i agree
Babaluma
i bought a fender champion 600 in march. i love it to bits. i run guitar, bass and sometimes synths through it. the clean sound is lovely, the overdriven sound is not so lovely.

the only mods i've done were to take off the metal tube covers (less rattle/tube microphony), take off the back (more open sound, more heat dispersion), and upgrade the crappy chinese tubes for a jj 6v6s and a jj 12ax7. the improvement in sound quality was large. i've also tried other 12xx7 family tubes and a 5751 but i like the sound of the jj 12ax7 best (i have the gold pin version).

for the money it is a ridiculously good amp, but i might one day upgrade to an emery head and cab for the ultimate in tone, but that is in another price league entirely!
sonic
Kent wrote:

1) an overall better amp

Good point

the reason I suggested the Valve jr is cause I own one the head version.
And I thought it would be overall cheaper to upgrade it with NOS tubes because I would only need one power & preamp. But Id probably be paying more on a NOS EL84 than I did on the amp eek!

Id rather save that cash for a better amp.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1