MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best ADSR?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Best ADSR?
Andy137
What's your favourite ADSR module? Maybe there are multimode modules with integrated ADSR?
Trooper
MI Stages
OlivierWah
For me is dual ADSR of L-1. Tons of CVs and a spectacular precision.
Mostin77
I really like the extra gate outputs on the ADSR stages of the Befaco ADSR VC. It’s always nice to have some extra options
mdoudoroff
I’m no ADSR expert, but I have a couple of AJH’s DH-ADSR units.

I love their Minimoog-style re-triggering behavior.

I do not love the complete lack of CV control—in the modular environment, having a little CV control over decay (at least) would open up a lot of automated expressiveness.

Although I’m sure this is a damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don’t design thing, I do not love the response of the knobs: I find I’m usually using the knobs (particularly decay) in an extremely small portion of their range, so it can be a bit fussy.
theflyingfridge
The “best” ADSR is the one that YOU like most.

There is no “best”. It’s entirely subjective. For example, I don’t really care about a gate out for each stage, but some people do. In this case, the Befaco ADSR might not be best for me, but might be best for someone else.

Don’t let others tell you what you want. Even if 50 people respond by saying, “just get a Maths”, that might not be “best” for you.

Do some research. Watch some videos. Buy an ADSR. Try it out. Discover what you like or don’t like about it. Sell it. Buy a different one. Try that different one for a while. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Good luck!

thumbs up
OB1
I love the Frequency Central System X envelope.

It can be super snappy in "fast" mode which is awesome for percussion, or much longer in "slow" mode for pads, etc. Really versatile, also has an inverted output and only 4hp. Also available as a DIY option which is a nice easy build - wiring the jacks/switch is the only fiddly bit, but that's not so bad.
cptnal
Also, are you sure you want an ADSR at all? Most of the time you can get away with AR or ASR. Common noob mistake I made myself. Bought an Intellijel Dual ADSR in the early days, ended up swapping it out for a Quadra. thumbs up
Andy137
cptnal wrote:
Also, are you sure you want an ADSR at all? Most of the time you can get away with AR or ASR. Common noob mistake I made myself. Bought an Intellijel Dual ADSR in the early days, ended up swapping it out for a Quadra. thumbs up

And what about cheap Doepfer A-140? Maybe ADSR is less important that range of filters?
insoul8
O_c is a nice quad ADSR.
The Junglechrist
cptnal wrote:

The Quadra being a good Adsr if you want it to by the way !
rklem
Quote:
Also, are you sure you want an ADSR at all? Most of the time you can get away with AR or ASR. Common noob mistake I made myself. Bought an Intellijel Dual ADSR in the early days, ended up swapping it out for a Quadra.

I agree. Currently my envelopes are Maths, Stages and Natural Gate – and they all have their specific pros (and some cons), but for a first module I'd suggest Stages, because it's so versatile.
Drakhe
My fav ADSR is the Erica Synths VC EG & expander.

fwiw, my fav AR/AD is RADAR
cptnal
rklem wrote:
Quote:
Also, are you sure you want an ADSR at all? Most of the time you can get away with AR or ASR. Common noob mistake I made myself. Bought an Intellijel Dual ADSR in the early days, ended up swapping it out for a Quadra.

I agree. Currently my envelopes are Maths, Stages and Natural Gate – and they all have their specific pros (and some cons), but for a first module I'd suggest Stages, because it's so versatile.

Mmmmm... Stages. Just got mine. Drunken Homer Simpson
peripatitis
The ctg-vc is for sure an excellent adsr, the only feature i miss (and i am not sure that i actually do) is perhaps a time range switch..
leftbracket
I personally don't see the point of an ADSR unless you're using a keyboard (which I never do myself).
grep
Love the sliders on the Intellijel Dual ADSR.
Bartimaeus
Love the snappiness of the Freq Central one, love the wealth of options on the Analog Systems one, love the sliders on the Intellijel. The AI Synthesis one is also quite nice, and has a very satisfying to use trig button, but I prefer the slopes on my Analog Systems one – the ASys sounds a little gentler?.
pzoot
grep wrote:
Love the sliders on the Intellijel Dual ADSR.

I like the built in VCAs too
starthief
leftbracket wrote:
I personally don't see the point of an ADSR unless you're using a keyboard (which I never do myself).

There are other ways to sequence or perform gates of varying lengths besides keyboards smile

I tend toward AD, ASR, or Contour's ARSR generally, but do have a System X Envelope (for now) and Stages.
cptnal
Give me an AD envelope with VC of the decay and I'm anyone's. Lotsa Love
sloth713
the best ADSR is what fits your desires/needs. For me that is the WMD MME (it also kinda fulfills your multi-mode module module question) because of its adjustable segment curves and multiple modes (plus i love the fact the I can get an expander for it if i want). For AR and ASR envelopes Maths is a decent second (once again because the ability to adjust the curves of the segments; though the MME wins out because the fact that each envelope segment's curve/shape can be adjusted individually (except for sustain fore obvious reasons)).
cptnal
Segments are a thing now. cool
DonKartofflo
Doepfer a-140 is very snappy, can make super punchy sounds, ping low pass gates and so on.
Compared to it, my MI peaks is more gentle, very musical but not as hard-hitting.
peripatitis
starthief wrote:
leftbracket wrote:

There are other ways to sequence or perform gates of varying lengths besides keyboards smile

+1
...and to add, working with different gate lengths adds a lot of expression to the music, so it's not a feature to be snubbed..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4