MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ACL Multi-Function Discrete VCO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author ACL Multi-Function Discrete VCO
OlivierWah
Hi,

I just see recently that new VCO from ACL (available in autumn):

ACL MultiFunction Discrete VCO

AW198
Looks absolutely gorgeous.
Also, I've never seen an oscillator with so many sub outputs. Not sure how useful they'd be unless you're making monosynth patches but still cool to have something unique.
chaosick
OlivierWah wrote:
Hi,

I just see recently that new VCO from ACL (available in autumn):

ACL MultiFunction Discrete VCO



Let's see, their regular deluxe oscillator is about $440 ( I got mine used for $330 or something), so I guess this one will be around $600...I love the one I have but..nope. Also, the whole AQA/ACL split is still mysterious; I've been in touch with the guy who still answered most recently via AQA support and asked him about it and he basically made it sound the existing guys who went on to rebrand ACL just ripped him off and took his ideas..of course I don't know the full story, but I get heebie jeebies about this sort of thing. sad banana
TemplarK
AW198 wrote:
Looks absolutely gorgeous.
Also, I've never seen an oscillator with so many sub outputs. Not sure how useful they'd be unless you're making monosynth patches but still cool to have something unique.


Saw some demos of this at SB and sounds fantastic. Personally I think the subs can be super useful with a seperate independent pwm/shape control over them your going to be able to create some superb textures I’m hoping similar to AS oscillator (which is lot cheaper but also lot more basic).

He quotes 860euro for it in a recent sonicstate video which is hugely expensive but it’s all discrete.

I’m torn I want it so badly but the price might keep it out of reach.

Edit - also wondering if anyone has compared ACL x3 EG to Intellijel ADSR?
AW198
TemplarK wrote:
AW198 wrote:
Looks absolutely gorgeous.
Also, I've never seen an oscillator with so many sub outputs. Not sure how useful they'd be unless you're making monosynth patches but still cool to have something unique.


Saw some demos of this at SB and sounds fantastic. Personally I think the subs can be super useful with a seperate independent pwm/shape control over them your going to be able to create some superb textures I’m hoping similar to AS oscillator (which is lot cheaper but also lot more basic).

He quotes 860euro for it in a recent sonicstate video which is hugely expensive but it’s all discrete.

I’m torn I want it so badly but the price might keep it out of reach.

Edit - also wondering if anyone has compared ACL x3 EG to Intellijel ADSR?


Damn, 860 euros? I'll be buying this straight after I win the lottery then... I'd love to try it out sometime at a convention/studio/whatever though.
TemplarK
chaosick wrote:
get heebie jeebies about this sort of thing. sad banana


I’m beginning to tire of reading drama surrounding how synths are made and by whom and on what agenda. From this point in I’m disregarding all the politics, arguments and opinion just going to buy what I think sounds great and what I think will improve my workflow.
sendepause
Well, i'm a big fan of ACL stuff and the people behind it. They only aim for the best. Total discrete and high end stuff.

Had a very elaborate demo at superbooth and this thing is truly mental. The subs out are awesome and having pwm on the sub is such a great idea. Imaging what happens when you mix a pw modulated square in, you get all kinds of crazy phase canceling/adding weirdness (in a good way) which get's more bonkers when using two modulated squares...

If i sell a kind, then it would be for this.
sendepause
chaosick wrote:
Also, the whole AQA/ACL split is still mysterious; I've been in touch with the guy who still answered most recently via AQA support and asked him about it and he basically made it sound the existing guys who went on to rebrand ACL just ripped him off and took his ideas..of course I don't know the full story, but I get heebie jeebies about this sort of thing. sad banana


Actually, they guy fucked them over. When stuff didn't work out between them he kept the AQA brand name and made there lives miserable when they wanted to restart under a new name which eventually now became ACL Audiophile Circuits League. The guys behind it are true lovers of pure electronics and really go at lengths to make the best possible high end stuff.
chaosick
TemplarK wrote:
AW198 wrote:
Looks absolutely gorgeous.
Also, I've never seen an oscillator with so many sub outputs. Not sure how useful they'd be unless you're making monosynth patches but still cool to have something unique.


Saw some demos of this at SB and sounds fantastic. Personally I think the subs can be super useful with a seperate independent pwm/shape control over them your going to be able to create some superb textures I’m hoping similar to AS oscillator (which is lot cheaper but also lot more basic).

He quotes 860euro for it in a recent sonicstate video which is hugely expensive but it’s all discrete.

I’m torn I want it so badly but the price might keep it out of reach.

Edit - also wondering if anyone has compared ACL x3 EG to Intellijel ADSR?


Hmm yeah F off ACL, that's ridiculous--that's about how much it cost me for 2 AJH oscillators and the Ring SM. They make good stuff, I enjoy their oscillators I have, but they are NOT better designers/engineers than Allan, who is also extremely humble, so it seems to me there's something hype/marketing here.

Their triple envelope, intellijel adsr, and frequency central envelope Aden all based off Roland 100m envelope so should be pretty similar. Nothing new there. I have a FC one and an L-1 dual vc ADSR, which is simply the best and most flexible one made.
chaosick
sendepause wrote:
chaosick wrote:
Also, the whole AQA/ACL split is still mysterious; I've been in touch with the guy who still answered most recently via AQA support and asked him about it and he basically made it sound the existing guys who went on to rebrand ACL just ripped him off and took his ideas..of course I don't know the full story, but I get heebie jeebies about this sort of thing. sad banana


Actually, they guy fucked them over. When stuff didn't work out between them he kept the AQA brand name and made there lives miserable when they wanted to restart under a new name which eventually now became ACL Audiophile Circuits League. The guys behind it are true lovers of pure electronics and really go at lengths to make the best possible high end stuff.


I'm not trying to gossip, just curious of your source, since I heard the opposite..
sendepause
chaosick wrote:


I'm not trying to gossip, just curious of your source, since I heard the opposite..


Somebody at Alex4 and Martin himself
TemplarK


I hope they can maybe get that price down but i guess probably not. We'll see how it fares once people have it in their racks and we get some proper demos.

edit - I must admit i like PWM on waves other than a square i use it a lot, the demo makes me forget about the price somewhat, it is very expensive though.
peripatitis
I really like their aesthetics. I can imagine how brilliant a only ACL modular would look/feel like. But for the sound I need to hear it up close.
Generally though, seeing that it doesn't offer anything "revolutional", one could buy 3-4 spectrum oscillators in that price..Heck you can even buy 2xvco6's, and pretty much every thru zero fm/pm oscillator and they are not doing that..
chaosick
peripatitis wrote:
I really like their aesthetics. I can imagine how brilliant a only ACL modular would look/feel like. But for the sound I need to hear it up close.
Generally though, seeing that it doesn't offer anything "revolutional", one could buy 3-4 spectrum oscillators in that price..Heck you can even buy 2xvco6's, and pretty much every thru zero fm/pm oscillator and they are not doing that..


Hey buddy smile yeah you get it. I am not really sure who they are aimed it if even people like us who are familiar with more high end stuff are not enticed. I owned their dual svf and sold it because I thought it is 30-40% more costly than other competitors out right now..it was very nice, but I don't really get it in terms of price. Instead I just bought an L-1 Mutant Cure VCF, wow, the thing is special! Not as multiuse, but I feel like I own enough distinct filters I dont really need these dual/copy filters.
TemplarK
chaosick wrote:
peripatitis wrote:
I really like their aesthetics. I can imagine how brilliant a only ACL modular would look/feel like. But for the sound I need to hear it up close.
Generally though, seeing that it doesn't offer anything "revolutional", one could buy 3-4 spectrum oscillators in that price..Heck you can even buy 2xvco6's, and pretty much every thru zero fm/pm oscillator and they are not doing that..


Hey buddy smile yeah you get it. I am not really sure who they are aimed it if even people like us who are familiar with more high end stuff are not enticed. I owned their dual svf and sold it because I thought it is 30-40% more costly than other competitors out right now..it was very nice, but I don't really get it in terms of price. Instead I just bought an L-1 Mutant Cure VCF, wow, the thing is special! Not as multiuse, but I feel like I own enough distinct filters I dont really need these dual/copy filters.


I think it would be more comparable to oscillators that offer PWM to shapes that are not square waves, i'm not sure if the Spectrum offers this, I'm not sure if the VCO6 offers this either (maybe to the saw wave), also this also offers the PWM to all the sub waves, this is what i think your effectively paying for here, are their any other current VCO's that offer this (i'm asking not debating)?

What else on the market comes close to this level of modulation thats PWM and its variable sync options too? I want to not love what this VCO offers purely because of the price and I will surely be listening to any demos that come, something is urging me to get this VCO this (am i just being swayed by the price here thinking most expensive is best or is this like Cwejman worth the extra cost?)

What is this really comparable to atm?
Joe.
The selling point really is that it's a discrete build (the word 'audiophile' in the business name is trying to to attract a very specific market).

There are lots of people that only want analog gear, and a small amount of them value discrete builds over all others. Checkout the market (and prices) of discrete opamp replacements.




.
TemplarK
Joe. wrote:
The selling point really is that it's a discrete build (the word 'audiophile' in the business name is trying to to attract a very specific market).

There are lots of people that only want analog gear, and a small amount of them value discrete builds over all others. Checkout the market (and prices) of discrete opamp replacements.




.


The "audiophile" part of the name did confuse me a little, I wasn't sure what to make of it, or their modules.
de_raaf
looks pretty great, but i don't really feel their new name, just reminds me of snake oil in a way, while its not the case i guess , it just kind related to that name, maybe too much trying to push an image
leftbracket
Can we move past saws and squares into low-pass filters now?
gummyboy
I have Variable Sync VCO. It's great.
I am thinking to sell this for the new one. confused
chaosick
gummyboy wrote:
I have Variable Sync VCO. It's great.
I am thinking to sell this for the new one. confused


Would seem pretty stupid to me as this one is purportedly ~2x the price of the Variable Sync. Since when is a very versatile osc+sub osc preferable to TWO extremely versatile osc, both of which have the same sound/tone circuits? Their pricing doesn't even make sense within their own catalogue.
chaosick
de_raaf wrote:
looks pretty great, but i don't really feel their new name, just reminds me of snake oil in a way, while its not the case i guess , it just kind related to that name, maybe too much trying to push an image


Exactly!! Still no official story on the AQA to ACL shift..it's just weird.
gummyboy
chaosick wrote:


Would seem pretty stupid to me as this one is purportedly ~2x the price of the Variable Sync. Since when is a very versatile osc+sub osc preferable to TWO extremely versatile osc, both of which have the same sound/tone circuits? Their pricing doesn't even make sense within their own catalogue.


True that!!!!

I should wait for the official price announcement.
Joe.
This release means the will be a discrete VCO, VCA (from M.A) and VCF (from S.T).

I can't think of a discrete Slew or Envelope Generator off the top of my head, but Eurorack is getting pretty close to having the option of a complete analog discrete voice.

With the numerous options for digital modules effectively running plugins, Eurorack users have everything on the spectrum to choose from now.


.
TemplarK
Joe. wrote:
This release means the will be a discrete VCO, VCA (from M.A) and VCF (from S.T).

I can't think of a discrete Slew or Envelope Generator off the top of my head, but Eurorack is getting pretty close to having the option of a complete analog discrete voice.

With the numerous options for digital modules effectively running plugins, Eurorack users have everything on the spectrum to choose from now.


.


The price of this VCO will defo be around that 860euro mark, i spoke with ACL in a PM and brought up the price how expensive it was, they said that it had been in developement a year and a half also its a 4 layer PCB fully discrete VCO and that 860 is cheap, he added that usually they mark up by double and with this they are not doing that as its already so expensive, so i'm I was left with little doubt that its not going to see a huge drop in price.

There is actually some demos on the ACL soundcloud of a MultiDiscreteVCO from 8 months ago which i'm assuming is this VCO, i have to admit it sounds pretty sick, 860euro sick i'm not so sure, but, I still want one. Affording it is something different.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group