MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What is a style?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author What is a style?
numan7
twisted And how are styles different from genres and periods?

Dead Banana

cheers
Futuresound
Per the good ol dictionary:

Style is "a distinctive manner of expression".

Genre is "a category of artistic, musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content"

The closest for Period is "a stage of culture having a definable place in time and space."

So to me, style is the result all the decisions you make during production and mixing. The sum is unique to you, unless you're intentionally copying something else.

A genre is a bunch of art that shares stylistic similarities.

A period is a bunch of art that is identifiably reflective of the time and place it was created.
facklr
numan7 wrote:
twisted And how are styles different from genres and periods?

Dead Banana

cheers

Sure, I'll start this one off.

Style, or a style, is the personal trademark someone bring to what they are doing. It can be skating, music, or something else. A lot of people can play piano well, but style is what sets you apart from the others. Style can also be imitated. "In the style of".

Genre is a living term that exists in real time, but can also be used historically that puts music (or something else) into a sub-category either temporarily or permanently, depending on the fussiness of the genre-maker/determiners/categorizers. Genre is a way to compartmentalize evolving approaches to methods and results. Participants are usually aware of the names, whether they like it or not.

Period is recognizing after the fact that there was a broader movement occurring, that usually can be pinpointed by a somewhat specific beginning and end, but usually allowing the morphological events on either end to be recognized as being part of as well as separating themselves from the period. Participants are usually dead and did not know they were working in a period.
GuyaGuy
Nope, not gonna touch this one.
Dead Banana Miley Cyrus
Dcramer
Enjoy the show!
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
A "genre" is a collective entity -- a number of different people making similar stuff. A "style" is an individual entity. It's that quality that allows one to identify who he is hearing from the first few notes.

I don't believe that one can consciously create a "style" as it is the manifestation of ones individuality. Of course, the good news is that no one really needs to try to do so. It is inevitable.
GrantB
Before the popular use of the word "genre" to categorize musical styles, we often used, well, "style".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_styles
ignatius
it had to be done

Panason
But but, wat is "music"? twisted twisted twisted

The "what is a composition" thread has hilarious happy ending!
MarcelP
There was a period of time when a group of us played music in a particular genre, but I did it with my own distinctive style.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Panason wrote:
But but, wat is "music"? twisted twisted twisted

The "what is a composition" thread has hilarious happy ending!

Invite that dude LordHighFixer here and this one can have the same ending.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1