MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Favorite Books for Composition
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Favorite Books for Composition
JustGlyphs
I play jazz piano and have used a couple different books, but by far my favorite and the most helpful has been Mark Levine's aptly named "The Jazz Piano Book." I appreciate how clearly complex topics are laid out and there are practical examples littered throughout the book so you can play through the ideas.

Does anyone have similar favorite books that have helped them in their composition or production in general?
Rally
You may find John Mehegan's work interesting and helpful. His specialty was jazz and wrote textbooks and composed several collections of studies. I really enjoy playing his studies, nice pieces.

I am going to check out Mark Levine. Thanks
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Mark Levine has another great book called "The Jazz Theory Book" which is even fatter than the Jazz Piano book and has hundreds of great examples. I spent a lot of time with these books, and then I stopped. I think it's time to go back to them.

You would also probably really enjoy the two volumes of "Modal Jazz: Composition and Harmony" by Ron Miller. These are great books just brimming with ideas. They really try to unlock the secrets of composers such as Ralph Towner and Eberhard Weber (both of whom I adore).
Muzone
I find "A chromatic approach to jazz harmony and melody" by David Liebmann a constant source of ideas and inspiration, it's quite easy going and based on David's compositions. A good read.....
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Muzone wrote:
I find "A chromatic approach to jazz harmony and melody" by David Liebmann a constant source of ideas and inspiration, it's quite easy going and based on David's compositions. A good read.....

I have that one as well, but was never able to make much sense out of it. I don't think I have enough background to get into it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1