endorphin.es BLCK_NOIR Superbooth 2018

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Post Reply
User avatar
Jenseits
Common Wiggler
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:49 am

Post by Jenseits » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:44 am

The stuff you’re interpreting into this tells more about yourself as about anyone else.

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4132
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Post by Dogma » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:12 am

Brendanleespengler wrote:Not down w Endorphin.es. Further perpetuates the modular world as a sad, misogynistic club of out-of-touch, middle-aged chauvinists. The defensive responses to someone expressing distaste over a t-shirt with 5th-grade level artwork of a woman spread eagle with a ‘fap tools’ (?) sticker over her MUFF says a lot. A whole lot.
With that being said, Endorphin should be able to have any artwork they want on their products. Let your freak flag fly. But, we can also be cool and step up and say we think it’s tasteless and immature.

Fuck i find this annoying. If you cared enough to be "outraged" you would also know that "women" is part of the endorphines team. Part of the company, designer, musician.....
look up!

jox2000
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Post by jox2000 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:40 am

Brendanleespengler wrote:Not down w Endorphin.es. Further perpetuates the modular world as a sad, misogynistic club of out-of-touch, middle-aged chauvinists. The defensive responses to someone expressing distaste over a t-shirt with 5th-grade level artwork of a woman spread eagle with a ‘fap tools’ (?) sticker over her MUFF says a lot. A whole lot.
With that being said, Endorphin should be able to have any artwork they want on their products. Let your freak flag fly. But, we can also be cool and step up and say we think it’s tasteless and immature.
Tell me more about teledildonics5000... sounds like a great fap tool

User avatar
kidkoexist
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:49 am
Location: Austin

Post by kidkoexist » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:58 am

Dogma wrote: Fuck i find this annoying. If you cared enough to be "outraged" you would also know that "women" is part of the endorphines team. Part of the company, designer, musician.....
Totally! Dudes deriding woman-led creative is not new, but annoying every time. "This is offensive to my man geek sensibilities!"

User avatar
geh2oman
Common Wiggler
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:52 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by geh2oman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:56 pm

In addition to Dogma and kidkoexist, there's no need to conflate sexuality or art depicting women with derision and immaturity. Women are sexual, masturbation is great, we can laugh at it because humans and their bodies are weird but wonderful.

I personally don't think that the image on the shirt you're referencing is chauvinistic, not by definition, though one could argue that it's exploitative. And I do agree that there are many avenues of the electronic music scene in general that have problems with male elitism. But the balance of that is not that women and non-cis men (and also men) who are excellent at their crafts need to be prudish in order to gain respect and footholds in the scene. That's just as oppressive.

ANYWAY my blck_noir should be delivered today and I'm really excited. I ended up going with the Tempi because a) a lot of the ways I make rhythms are algo-/poly-rithmic anyway b) it's very immediate c) also black with cool buttons on the bottom.

User avatar
Muse FTW
Common Wiggler
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:08 pm
Contact:

Post by Muse FTW » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:47 pm

geh2oman wrote:
ANYWAY my blck_noir should be delivered today and I'm really excited. I ended up going with the Tempi because a) a lot of the ways I make rhythms are algo-/poly-rithmic anyway b) it's very immediate c) also black with cool buttons on the bottom.
I recently picked up a Tempi and am using it with a Trigger Riot (also recently picked up) and it's a lot of fun. Tempi is great at slightly off-kilter beats too.

Please post some demos of blck_noir in action!

User avatar
huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Post by huffnPuff » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:21 am

I thought you wanted this discussion to be about the module rather than the copy?
kidkoexist wrote:
Dogma wrote: Fuck i find this annoying. If you cared enough to be "outraged" you would also know that "women" is part of the endorphines team. Part of the company, designer, musician.....
Totally! Dudes deriding woman-led creative is not new, but annoying every time. "This is offensive to my man geek sensibilities!"
This is absolute BS. No one has a problem with women in the industry. There’s Sandrine, the girls from Transistor Sound Labs and I hope others and many others still to come. They’re not wearing makeup and showing skin to sell modules, they’re not the merchandise. This Julia is playing the wrong cards, and were she a man it would have been just as gross.

If you feel strongly about women’s causes - whatever these may be - then consider the roles reserved for men and women in endorphin.es.
Last edited by huffnPuff on Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

User avatar
huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Post by huffnPuff » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:01 am

Now the module itself is - on paper - nothing revolutionary (and so is the FG), but it seems to have an awesome UI that’s tailored for performance while still being very dense, with great core sounds and effects. For someone with a medium sized system this frees the filters, EGs and OSCs for other duties.

I like the mix and match of features: no sequencer but mutes, fills and manual triggers, morphing sounds between seperate drum parts, cherry-picked functionality and FX.

It’s the little bits and pieces that are winning me over.
:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4132
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Post by Dogma » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:25 am

huffnPuff wrote:I thought you wanted this discussion to be about the module rather than the copy?
kidkoexist wrote:
Dogma wrote: Fuck i find this annoying. If you cared enough to be "outraged" you would also know that "women" is part of the endorphines team. Part of the company, designer, musician.....
Totally! Dudes deriding woman-led creative is not new, but annoying every time. "This is offensive to my man geek sensibilities!"
This is absolute BS. No one has a problem with women in the industry. There’s Sandrine, the girls from Transistor Sound Labs and I hope others and many others still to come. They’re not wearing makeup and showing skin to sell modules, they’re not the merchandise. This Julia is playing the wrong cards. Were she a man it would have been just as gross.

If you feel strongly about women’s causes - whatever these may be - then consider the roles reserved for men and women in endorphin.es.
Grrr - so your saying she is is doing this under duress then?
So she has no agency of her own?


Ordered. Fucking cant wait. Inductor circuits - ive not herd them used in euro
look up!

User avatar
huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Post by huffnPuff » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:27 am

Where and when did I say so? Kindly read my post again.
:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4132
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Post by Dogma » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:44 am

huffnPuff wrote:Where and when did I say so? Kindly read my post again.
I know you didnt, you did however entirely skirt the issue
look up!

User avatar
huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Post by huffnPuff » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:52 am

It makes no difference.
:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cortega
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:44 am
Location: Bremen Germany

Post by Cortega » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:58 am

Dogma wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:Where and when did I say so? Kindly read my post again.
I know you didnt, you did however entirely skirt the issue
Jeez Guys...really time to start a own Thread for this Thema, this is a Thread about a Module and not a Thread about Marketing Strategies Bullshit or not.

thanks

User avatar
Jenseits
Common Wiggler
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:49 am

Post by Jenseits » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:24 am

Haters gonna hate.

User avatar
Diabolik!
Common Wiggler
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Post by Diabolik! » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:00 pm

nothing like a bunch of men chiming in to save a woman from herself :doh:

secretmusicuk
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 2:53 pm
Location: london

what were they thinking ?

Post by secretmusicuk » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:43 am

Hi !
I got the chance to play with the Black Noir module yesterday.
Putting the pitch of the kick and the snare drum on tiny little pots stuck in between bigger pots is quite possibly the silliest design decision I've ever encountered in the Eurorack world.
What were they thinking ? It seems really difficult to imagine that no one, at any stage of the design, would have not said anything !
The very first parameter I will want to adjust on a drum, is its pitch... And they've made it the most difficult parameter to adjust. In fact it's so difficult to reach (especially the snare drum one) , that you will probably set it and then forget about it.
What happened ?

User avatar
geh2oman
Common Wiggler
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:52 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Re: what were they thinking ?

Post by geh2oman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:51 am

secretmusicuk wrote:In fact it's so difficult to reach (especially the snare drum one) , that you will probably set it and then forget about it.
What happened ?
I think that's what the intention is exactly.

User avatar
huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Re: what were they thinking ?

Post by huffnPuff » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:22 am

geh2oman wrote:
secretmusicuk wrote:In fact it's so difficult to reach (especially the snare drum one) , that you will probably set it and then forget about it.
What happened ?
I think that's what the intention is exactly.
Makes sense, considering the size of this thing and the focus on playability. They made some decisions about what features to drop or to relegate to small knobs, what features to add etc.

Granted, you can’t make everybody happy all the time.
:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

secretmusicuk
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 2:53 pm
Location: london

Re: what were they thinking ?

Post by secretmusicuk » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:38 am

huffnPuff wrote:
geh2oman wrote:
secretmusicuk wrote:In fact it's so difficult to reach (especially the snare drum one) , that you will probably set it and then forget about it.
What happened ?
I think that's what the intention is exactly.
Makes sense, considering the size of this thing and the focus on playability. They made some decisions about what features to drop or to relegate to small knobs, what features to add etc.

Granted, you can’t make everybody happy all the time.


I'm gonna go on a limb here, and i'm willing to be proven "wrong", but I'm willing to bet that most people would say the most used parameter when working on a drum sound is its tuning ...

also, have you tried the module ? the snare drum pitch "knob" is simply not useable. it's not a question of taste, we were about 6 of us at Schneidersladen, and we were all completely baffled. You need a screwdriver to pitch the snare.

User avatar
huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Post by huffnPuff » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:56 am

:doh:

Is a screwdriver included?
:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

User avatar
monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1925
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Odyssey Island
Contact:

Post by monads » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:41 am

huffnPuff wrote::doh:

Is a screwdriver included?
No. I think also the bd/sd/aux input trimmers were chosen to match that style of the Grand Terminal. And yes probably set/forget/play factor as well.

There was separate issue with my unit and the "type" button being stuck/unusable! I had to remove the panel to fix the issue!

User avatar
huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Post by huffnPuff » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:04 am

Diabolik! wrote:nothing like a bunch of men chiming in to save a woman from herself :doh:
Possibly the only comment that makes any sense in this entire discussion.
:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

jox2000
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Re: what were they thinking ?

Post by jox2000 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 am

secretmusicuk wrote: also, have you tried the module ? the snare drum pitch "knob" is simply not useable. it's not a question of taste, we were about 6 of us at Schneidersladen, and we were all completely baffled. You need a screwdriver to pitch the snare.
you can't grab the tune knobs to turn them - thats right. but i found it easy to turn them with the point of a finger. not the most comfortable way, but useable it is.

User avatar
jfb
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Creve Coeur, MO

Post by jfb » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Mine was delivered yesterday, but I haven't made time for it yet. Tonight! Unless I find something else to occupy my time. I'm bad about opening new gear. :P

User avatar
jfb
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Creve Coeur, MO

Post by jfb » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:57 am

I made time to check this out last night. I paired it with my VG8+/VB combo for some instant action. Having watched DivKid's video on it, I was able to hit the ground running, though I did read through the manual later. I knew what I was getting into and it delivers what I expected. I really like it so far. Having all of the sounds in one module with the effects and filter is a lot of fun to use.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”