MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

endorphin.es BLCK_NOIR Superbooth 2018
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author endorphin.es BLCK_NOIR Superbooth 2018
Nielsen
Am I the only one who isn't convinced by this module? I mean, I really like the idea of a CR-78-like drum synth in Eurorack. But the synth or sound design capabilities are quite limited. At least there a good amount of CV inputs.

And soundwise most of the demos didn't sound that good either. Or am I too sceptical?
DonKartofflo
I gotta say i wasnt impressed when they released it thinking it was way too simple to be fun but boy was i wrong.
Tried it yesterday at raw voltage in vienna and i gotta say its a total jam monster! So intuitive, the velocity controls make it super easy to get grooving and it just sounds seriously massive!
If you consider that its a full drum section plus effects and performance features, the price isnt at all steep either.
Cheers!
Brendanleespengler
Not down w Endorphin.es. Further perpetuates the modular world as a sad, misogynistic club of out-of-touch, middle-aged chauvinists. The defensive responses to someone expressing distaste over a t-shirt with 5th-grade level artwork of a woman spread eagle with a ‘fap tools’ (?) sticker over her MUFF says a lot. A whole lot.
With that being said, Endorphin should be able to have any artwork they want on their products. Let your freak flag fly. But, we can also be cool and step up and say we think it’s tasteless and immature.
Jenseits
The stuff you’re interpreting into this tells more about yourself as about anyone else.
Dogma
Brendanleespengler wrote:
Not down w Endorphin.es. Further perpetuates the modular world as a sad, misogynistic club of out-of-touch, middle-aged chauvinists. The defensive responses to someone expressing distaste over a t-shirt with 5th-grade level artwork of a woman spread eagle with a ‘fap tools’ (?) sticker over her MUFF says a lot. A whole lot.
With that being said, Endorphin should be able to have any artwork they want on their products. Let your freak flag fly. But, we can also be cool and step up and say we think it’s tasteless and immature.

Fuck i find this annoying. If you cared enough to be "outraged" you would also know that "women" is part of the endorphines team. Part of the company, designer, musician.....
jox2000
Brendanleespengler wrote:

Tell me more about teledildonics5000... sounds like a great fap tool
kidkoexist
Dogma wrote:

Fuck i find this annoying. If you cared enough to be "outraged" you would also know that "women" is part of the endorphines team. Part of the company, designer, musician.....

Totally! Dudes deriding woman-led creative is not new, but annoying every time. "This is offensive to my man geek sensibilities!"
geh2oman
In addition to Dogma and kidkoexist, there's no need to conflate sexuality or art depicting women with derision and immaturity. Women are sexual, masturbation is great, we can laugh at it because humans and their bodies are weird but wonderful.

I personally don't think that the image on the shirt you're referencing is chauvinistic, not by definition, though one could argue that it's exploitative. And I do agree that there are many avenues of the electronic music scene in general that have problems with male elitism. But the balance of that is not that women and non-cis men (and also men) who are excellent at their crafts need to be prudish in order to gain respect and footholds in the scene. That's just as oppressive.

ANYWAY my blck_noir should be delivered today and I'm really excited. I ended up going with the Tempi because a) a lot of the ways I make rhythms are algo-/poly-rithmic anyway b) it's very immediate c) also black with cool buttons on the bottom.
Muse FTW
geh2oman wrote:

ANYWAY my blck_noir should be delivered today and I'm really excited. I ended up going with the Tempi because a) a lot of the ways I make rhythms are algo-/poly-rithmic anyway b) it's very immediate c) also black with cool buttons on the bottom.

I recently picked up a Tempi and am using it with a Trigger Riot (also recently picked up) and it's a lot of fun. Tempi is great at slightly off-kilter beats too.

Please post some demos of blck_noir in action!
huffnPuff
I thought you wanted this discussion to be about the module rather than the copy?

kidkoexist wrote:
Dogma wrote:

Totally! Dudes deriding woman-led creative is not new, but annoying every time. "This is offensive to my man geek sensibilities!"

This is absolute BS. No one has a problem with women in the industry. There’s Sandrine, the girls from Transistor Sound Labs and I hope others and many others still to come. They’re not wearing makeup and showing skin to sell modules, they’re not the merchandise. This Julia is playing the wrong cards, and were she a man it would have been just as gross.

If you feel strongly about women’s causes - whatever these may be - then consider the roles reserved for men and women in endorphin.es.
huffnPuff
Now the module itself is - on paper - nothing revolutionary (and so is the FG), but it seems to have an awesome UI that’s tailored for performance while still being very dense, with great core sounds and effects. For someone with a medium sized system this frees the filters, EGs and OSCs for other duties.

I like the mix and match of features: no sequencer but mutes, fills and manual triggers, morphing sounds between seperate drum parts, cherry-picked functionality and FX.

It’s the little bits and pieces that are winning me over.
Dogma
huffnPuff wrote:
I thought you wanted this discussion to be about the module rather than the copy?

kidkoexist wrote:
Dogma wrote:

This is absolute BS. No one has a problem with women in the industry. There’s Sandrine, the girls from Transistor Sound Labs and I hope others and many others still to come. They’re not wearing makeup and showing skin to sell modules, they’re not the merchandise. This Julia is playing the wrong cards. Were she a man it would have been just as gross.

If you feel strongly about women’s causes - whatever these may be - then consider the roles reserved for men and women in endorphin.es.

Grrr - so your saying she is is doing this under duress then?
So she has no agency of her own?

Ordered. Fucking cant wait. Inductor circuits - ive not herd them used in euro
huffnPuff
Where and when did I say so? Kindly read my post again.
Dogma
huffnPuff wrote:

I know you didnt, you did however entirely skirt the issue
huffnPuff
It makes no difference.
Cortega
Dogma wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:

I know you didnt, you did however entirely skirt the issue

Jeez Guys...really time to start a own Thread for this Thema, this is a Thread about a Module and not a Thread about Marketing Strategies Bullshit or not.

thanks
Jenseits
Haters gonna hate.
Diabolik!
nothing like a bunch of men chiming in to save a woman from herself d'oh!
secretmusicuk
Hi !
I got the chance to play with the Black Noir module yesterday.
Putting the pitch of the kick and the snare drum on tiny little pots stuck in between bigger pots is quite possibly the silliest design decision I've ever encountered in the Eurorack world.
What were they thinking ? It seems really difficult to imagine that no one, at any stage of the design, would have not said anything !
The very first parameter I will want to adjust on a drum, is its pitch... And they've made it the most difficult parameter to adjust. In fact it's so difficult to reach (especially the snare drum one) , that you will probably set it and then forget about it.
What happened ?
geh2oman
secretmusicuk wrote:
In fact it's so difficult to reach (especially the snare drum one) , that you will probably set it and then forget about it.
What happened ?

I think that's what the intention is exactly.
huffnPuff
geh2oman wrote:
secretmusicuk wrote:
In fact it's so difficult to reach (especially the snare drum one) , that you will probably set it and then forget about it.
What happened ?

Makes sense, considering the size of this thing and the focus on playability. They made some decisions about what features to drop or to relegate to small knobs, what features to add etc.

Granted, you can’t make everybody happy all the time.
secretmusicuk
huffnPuff wrote:
geh2oman wrote:
secretmusicuk wrote:
What happened ?

Makes sense, considering the size of this thing and the focus on playability. They made some decisions about what features to drop or to relegate to small knobs, what features to add etc.

Granted, you can’t make everybody happy all the time.

I'm gonna go on a limb here, and i'm willing to be proven "wrong", but I'm willing to bet that most people would say the most used parameter when working on a drum sound is its tuning ...

also, have you tried the module ? the snare drum pitch "knob" is simply not useable. it's not a question of taste, we were about 6 of us at Schneidersladen, and we were all completely baffled. You need a screwdriver to pitch the snare.
huffnPuff
d'oh!

Is a screwdriver included?
monads
huffnPuff wrote:
d'oh!

Is a screwdriver included?

No. I think also the bd/sd/aux input trimmers were chosen to match that style of the Grand Terminal. And yes probably set/forget/play factor as well.

There was separate issue with my unit and the "type" button being stuck/unusable! I had to remove the panel to fix the issue!
huffnPuff
Diabolik! wrote:
nothing like a bunch of men chiming in to save a woman from herself d'oh!

Possibly the only comment that makes any sense in this entire discussion.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 6 of 9