endorphin.es BLCK_NOIR Superbooth 2018

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

spinalbeatz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by spinalbeatz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Here's a jam I had running with the blck noir handling all the drum sounds. Gets a bit repetitive but thought I would share anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/tr666/modulartechno4/s-o16A9

jfb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jfb » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:08 pm

spinalbeatz wrote:Here's a jam I had running with the blck noir handling all the drum sounds. Gets a bit repetitive but thought I would share anyway.

I can dig it. Thanks for sharing.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Nice little jam! I paired with an Eloquencer as having the grid makes it real easy to cook up a beat! I was surprised on the filter knob and how it's able to nicely shape all the drum sounds at once, very convenient!! Kinda agree on the bd/sd tune controls not suitable for live/frequent adjustments due to size, but the design philosophy was 'set'n forget'. The effects section is cool, but not sure I'll find myself using much. Am hoping in a future firmware update though the user can tell which effect they're in by pressing the button and LED Blinking momentarily (i.e. 3 blinks for effect 3) or something.

Next step is to mess around with the individual drum outputs. The module offers good bang for buck and is a winner in it's 'drum module' classification. Great job endorphin.es!!!

echologist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by echologist » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Absolutely love mine. So well thought out. Great for creativing drum tracks that breathe and move.

Soundcloud

geh2oman
Common Wiggler

Post by geh2oman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:29 am

Yander
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yander » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:46 pm

spinalbeatz wrote:Here's a jam I had running with the blck noir handling all the drum sounds. Gets a bit repetitive but thought I would share anyway.

Hey nice track! I just ordered one myself and I'm really curious to see the range of sounds it can do, post more :D

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:09 pm

Probably going to get one of these soon. Is the filter analog? Preliminarily I haven't been able to find any details on it and I'm curious.

limpmeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by limpmeat » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:56 pm

i picked one up yesterday.

If the filter is not analogue, it is a very good emulation.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:28 pm

Does this come with a printed manual? I recently purchased one and was surprised that it didn’t, especially since they went the extra mile with graphics and layout.

As for the filter, it is implied that it is analog, and it sounds good; however, not much is written about it.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:17 pm

Yeah not much is written about the filter so I don't know either. Assume it's analog since Endorphin.es. didn't implement the same digital filter options as found on the Grand Terminal. But would like some confirmation. It still sounds good regardless.

And no, the module doesn't come with a printed manual. Download/print and place in a binder with all those other modules that don't come with printed manuals :)

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:42 pm

Given that the Grand Terminal is digital, maybe the BLCK Noir filter isn’t analog. On page 4 of its manual, the company writes that “the AUX IN can also used to update the firmware of the filter/effect section.”

I’ve only had mine for a day, but it seems as if when I move the frequency knob very fast, it takes the filter time to catch up. I don’t know how to describe it better, but it’s something I have not experienced with an analog filter. Of course, it could be my imagination, but I will test it to see if I am right or not.

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Re: what were they thinking ?

Post by Happyanimal » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:16 pm

secretmusicuk wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:
geh2oman wrote:
secretmusicuk wrote:In fact it's so difficult to reach (especially the snare drum one) , that you will probably set it and then forget about it.
What happened ?
I think that's what the intention is exactly.
Makes sense, considering the size of this thing and the focus on playability. They made some decisions about what features to drop or to relegate to small knobs, what features to add etc.

Granted, you can’t make everybody happy all the time.

I'm gonna go on a limb here, and i'm willing to be proven "wrong", but I'm willing to bet that most people would say the most used parameter when working on a drum sound is its tuning ...

also, have you tried the module ? the snare drum pitch "knob" is simply not useable. it's not a question of taste, we were about 6 of us at Schneidersladen, and we were all completely baffled. You need a screwdriver to pitch the snare.
I would disagree- I always reach for the decay knob on drums before pitch/tune.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:37 pm

kwaidan wrote:...On page 4 of its manual, the company writes that “the AUX IN can also used to update the firmware of the filter/effect section.”....
Good catch regarding the firmware updates correlating to filter!! I missed that. But why implement the same effects found on Grand Terminal and not the same filter types? That strikes me as odd because they could've rolled out the same 1 LED scheme for the filter select as effects found on blck_noir.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:09 pm

So what are the proud owners saying?
:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

konnekshen
Common Wiggler

Post by konnekshen » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:52 pm

that BLCK_NOIR is one of the few modules that make me regret having escaped from eurocrack hell

i would absolutely LOVE to see a standalone version of this

besides the alpha base the most exciting drum machine at the moment

atmosplak
Learning to Wiggle

Post by atmosplak » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:24 pm

re-infecting myself with the GAS for this module. Will have the cure close by just in case things get hairy :omg:

spinalbeatz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by spinalbeatz » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:50 pm

New firmware coming soon!
Overview
BLCK_NOIR is a complex 7 voice analog drum/percussive synthesizer module based around analog discrete CR-68/78 circuits with advanced noise spectrum animation and effect processor. GRAND TERMINAL is a dual filter, dual envelopes and effect processor which together with any VCO (or itself) creates a full synth voice. Now a new bank of effects is available for these two modules it’s called ‘DARKWAVES’. The effects were specifically tuned for drum processing. Following effects are new available:

Gated Reverb – to get that typical huge 80s drum sound
Flanger – it’s an always useful one
Ring Modulator – with interesting feedback feature
Overdrive – crank it for your bass drum
Compressor – to get that snappy snares
Gated Reverb, Flanger, Ring Modulator, Overdrive and Compressor are brand new effects in this firmware release – Spring Reverb, Ping-Pong Delay and Freezer have been there in the previous version already.
[video][/video]

Jenseits
Common Wiggler

Post by Jenseits » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:26 am

I’m excited about the new firmware for my Grand Terminal!
My guess for the “dark” surprise which is mentioned in the video’s description: Black faceplate for the shuttle system and probably individual modules too =D

I love my shuttle as it is and love that you guys keep on giving with the firmware! May you never stop!

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:59 am

echologist wrote:Absolutely love mine. So well thought out. Great for creativing drum tracks that breathe and move.

Soundcloud
link broken

konnekshen
Common Wiggler

Post by konnekshen » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:01 am

either they release a standalone version or i have to get back into EUR just for this module. so great !

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:38 am

I have got this a couple of weeks now. I absolutely like it a lot and can't wait to install the 'dark' firmware!
My imagination is my inspiration...
Instagram: @jungleofwires

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:52 am

konnekshen wrote:either they release a standalone version or i have to get back into EUR just for this module. so great !
Get yourself one of those nice 4ms 32hp (powered) pods and a 2hp blank?

:eek: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

konnekshen
Common Wiggler

Post by konnekshen » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:33 pm

Yloopz wrote:I have got this a couple of weeks now. I absolutely like it a lot and can't wait to install the 'dark' firmware!
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read..
i will n...

bunkbeds
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bunkbeds » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:53 am

this module alone has got me wanting to make my first eurorack setup

Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:02 pm

This is the next module I'm getting. I am eager to destroy shit with this.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
GOD IS WAR x SUTEKH HEXEN

www.godiswar.bandcamp.com

Return to “Eurorack Modules”