MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

endorphin.es BLCK_NOIR Superbooth 2018
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author endorphin.es BLCK_NOIR Superbooth 2018
konnekshen
Yloopz wrote:
I have got this a couple of weeks now. I absolutely like it a lot and can't wait to install the 'dark' firmware!

i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read..
i will n...
bunkbeds
this module alone has got me wanting to make my first eurorack setup
Crimesofthecrown
This is the next module I'm getting. I am eager to destroy shit with this.
monads
The new "Darkwaves" firmware is now available!! Excited the fx bank is more 'drum'oriented and looking forward to giving a go. Endorphin.es never disappoints applause
Cortega
Dont do the Update, seems Endorphines had no Beta Testers, the Dry Wet closes not fully after Update and the alternative effect send mode works not.
monads
Cortega wrote:
Dont do the Update, seems Endorphines had no Beta Testers, the Dry Wet closes not fully after Update and the alternative effect send mode works not.

That's good to know thanks!!! I'll hold off till fixed.
monads
Any update news regarding the firmware and if still issues???
bgcriswell
I haven't had any issues with the firmware update.
monads
Successfully updated without issues using my iPhone hihi
Earthdark
Is anyone else's BLCK_NOIR kinda noisy? I'm getting a lot of hiss – is that normal?
McRINdk
Earthdark wrote:
Is anyone else's BLCK_NOIR kinda noisy? I'm getting a lot of hiss – is that normal?

haven't noticed but if your referring to noise when there are no triggers and all voices are turned ccw then check if you have an effect active and at a high setting. distortion has a hiss with no input and higher settings
redwick
I've also noticed this and asked the designers back in November and got this reply:

Hello
Than individual outputs are raw analog discrete voices. Used technology - discrete transistors- brings more noise and is a part of its vintage sound and had own charm.
As for the final outputs - they have a filter above 10khz since all deum voices are located in a spectrum lower than 10khz.
That’s normal for separate outputs
Andreas.

Just received the blck_noir and finding that all mixed channels, both mono and stereo are very noisy compared to the individual outputs. Is the module faulty? Will upgrading firmware make any difference? I have no issues like this with other modules. Can you advise please?

So it looks like it's down to what's on the board.
Earthdark
I emailed Endorphines too and got a super quick and thorough response.

Essentially the noise is a byproduct of the vintage analog circuit design, which is fine by me, I kinda like the lo-fi sound. I bought an open box unit and just wanted to make sure that my BLCK_NOIR was behaving as expected.

It's interesting that the individual outs are quieter, I hadn't noticed that.

redwick wrote:
I've also noticed this and asked the designers back in November and got this reply:

Hello
Than individual outputs are raw analog discrete voices. Used technology - discrete transistors- brings more noise and is a part of its vintage sound and had own charm.
As for the final outputs - they have a filter above 10khz since all deum voices are located in a spectrum lower than 10khz.
That’s normal for separate outputs
Andreas.

Just received the blck_noir and finding that all mixed channels, both mono and stereo are very noisy compared to the individual outputs. Is the module faulty? Will upgrading firmware make any difference? I have no issues like this with other modules. Can you advise please?

So it looks like it's down to what's on the board.
iheartmodular
for less noise, try moving away from any power source?

super nice module exactly the right sounds for me
rsillsley
Hi

Just got my blck_noir.

Nice module but something is buggering me.

I have no triggers in. I have a clock from my sequencer and i am taking the sample + hold out and putting it into velocity of each voice.

Each clock is now triggering the drum voice with a different velocity - so its kind of working.

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks, Russell
insoul8
xthrasherx
Anyone using the Blck_noir coming from the hexinverter mutant drum series? Specifically curious about how the kick hits compared to the bd9. Obviously there are fundamental differences in design, but I’m thinking about moving drums back into my rack and this seems like a great option overall. Most of the demos I’ve heard so far seem a little lacking on that oomph though for what I am wanting to do (suppose I can dedicate one of my tube VCAs to help out).
Cortega
xthrasherx wrote:
Anyone using the Blck_noir coming from the hexinverter mutant drum series? Specifically curious about how the kick hits compared to the bd9. Obviously there are fundamental differences in design, but I’m thinking about moving drums back into my rack and this seems like a great option overall. Most of the demos I’ve heard so far seem a little lacking on that oomph though for what I am wanting to do (suppose I can dedicate one of my tube VCAs to help out).

The Kick in the Blcknoir is a bit special and limited, it had a lot of oomph in the decay phase when you turn the BD Tail at high rate, its very bulgy then, but if you turn the Bd Tail at low rate its very small and weak, it still sounds great in lower settings but needs a compressor then, and dont expect hard hitting attack phase and oomph like in the BD9.
insoul8
Cortega wrote:
xthrasherx wrote:

The Kick in the Blcknoir is a bit special and limited, it had a lot of oomph in the decay phase when you turn the BD Tail at high rate, its very bulgy then, but if you turn the Bd Tail at low rate its very small and weak, it still sounds great in lower settings but needs a compressor then, and dont expect hard hitting attack phase and oomph like in the BD9.

I think you pretty much summed it up. You can keep the tail on the lowest setting though but as long as you turn the resonance up a bit, the kick can hit quite hard. I am very much liking it. Tail turned all the way down with no resonance, it is indeed pretty weak but not necessarily in a bad way. In that way, it has some good range.
xthrasherx
So would it be best to potentially layer it then with another module? I would likely want to add a touch of saturation on the kick no matter what for what I like to do, but just want to be sure before I pull the trigger. I love the built in fx and performance friendly nature which is increasingly becoming my focus. I have things like the Metasonix D2000 which is great, but not exactly “gig” friendly lol

Right now I’m debating between this and a mutant drum setup for some noisier “techno” / death industrial inspired nonsense
insoul8
xthrasherx wrote:
So would it be best to potentially layer it then with another module? I would likely want to add a touch of saturation on the kick no matter what for what I like to do, but just want to be sure before I pull the trigger. I love the built in fx and performance friendly nature which is increasingly becoming my focus. I have things like the Metasonix D2000 which is great, but not exactly “gig” friendly lol

Right now I’m debating between this and a mutant drum setup for some noisier “techno” / death industrial inspired nonsense

I don't find the need to layer it with anything personally. It can hit more than hard enough for me. And there is the built in overdrive effect which sounds awesome. I can't speak to how it compares to the mutant drum setup though as I've never used it.
xthrasherx
Thanks for the input. I think I’ll give it a shot since the savings in HP and fx use matters in my 12u performance system that I’m working on refining. Worst case scenario I can layer it with something else if needed, but I’m already running a compressor in the system so it shouldn’t be too big of a deal. Also could just be the demos that I’ve heard this far overall.
insoul8
xthrasherx wrote:
Thanks for the input. I think I’ll give it a shot since the savings in HP and fx use matters in my 12u performance system that I’m working on refining. Worst case scenario I can layer it with something else if needed, but I’m already running a compressor in the system so it shouldn’t be too big of a deal. Also could just be the demos that I’ve heard this far overall.

There are definitely more flexible drum modules out there but i'm also in the same boat trying to conserve space. I also really like the CR-78 inspired kind of sound. This thing was perfect for me the moment i saw it. It replaced my SSF and tiptop drum modules.
xthrasherx
insoul8 wrote:
xthrasherx wrote:

There are definitely more flexible drum modules out there but i'm also in the same boat trying to conserve space. I also really like the CR-78 inspired kind of sound. This thing was perfect for me the moment i saw it. It replaced my SSF and tiptop drum modules.

I’m not as familiar with the CR-78, but a lot of that is because of the sometimes circular nature of gear recommendations around certain styles. I’m not shy about using unconventional percussion sources (again Metasonix D2000 is a personal favorite), so nothing wrong with trying to break out of the usual sound echo chamber (909 on everything).
insoul8
I agree and it's nice having something not 808 or 909 inspired. The CR-78 was Roland's first programmable drum machine.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 8 of 9