endorphin.es BLCK_NOIR Superbooth 2018

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

JM Midnight
Common Wiggler

Post by JM Midnight » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:35 pm

So far, I've been using my Noir with a DC-1 Computer and an Erica Drum Mix. Erica really helps fatten up the kicks and define all the other beats. I really love the Noir, and it is kinda noisy, but the Erica does a bit to help smooth out the bleed.

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:25 pm

So I’ve had the blck_noir in the rack for a bit now. I go back and forth on a couple aspects of it, but it ticks enough of the boxes for me overall. Sometimes the kick doesn’t cut it for me and I’ll send another kick in through the aux in. When I do this I’ll tune the Noir kick to become more of a low tom which works quite nicely.

That said, I did quite enjoy the blck_noir on this track where everything felt like it gelled quite nicely. Just need for that new WMD sequencer to hurry up and arrive because it looks like an excellent pattern variation machine.

[video][/video]
"While we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.”
― Thomas Ligotti

Instagram::YouTube::SoundCloud

shanebroderick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shanebroderick » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:18 pm

would you suggest having a bunch of dedicated attenuators for this module?

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:01 pm

^I wouldn't think so. For me it's more set the knobs and trigger away. Some of the knobs work as attenuators when CV is applied.

docsample
Learning to Wiggle

Post by docsample » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:02 pm

limpmeat wrote:I had issues just like you described, was the PSU in one of my cases. Moved it to a different case and it disappeared
what case are you using? I have tried a 4ms pod and make noise skiff w/ uzeus power. both noisy as hell. haven't tried my pittsburgh or mantis case yet.

ikkini
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ikkini » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:57 am

A question to Blck_noir users.

For those who did the TFD update, do you have an issue with the cabin fever knob ?
With this firmware, this knob is only useable from minimum value to noon. Past this value it is already at maximum and has no more effect.

I went back to Darkwave and the knob behaves normally. (but now, the filter is a simple LPF, not the LP/HP isolator style...)

Am I the only one with these issues ? :despair:

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Yup, fun but very noisy.

Post by LDT » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:27 pm

My first day with blck_noir. Helluva lotta fun, but those constant high pitched whiny tones that bleed through.... I am thinking, almost a deal-breaker. :-(
I is the only module in a 4MS pod, and I seriously doubt that it is not just how it sounds.
You could write it off as "vintage charm", but I have owned among many other vintage machines, a CR-68, and it dit NOT have a constant whiny noise.
-Lars

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:54 am

docsample wrote:
limpmeat wrote:I had issues just like you described, was the PSU in one of my cases. Moved it to a different case and it disappeared
what case are you using? I have tried a 4ms pod and make noise skiff w/ uzeus power. both noisy as hell. haven't tried my pittsburgh or mantis case yet.
I'm really curios about this!! I recently pulled the module to mount in a 4ms pod but haven't gotten around to any testing. I didn't notice any noise issues when it was in my Doepfer case but if issues arise mounted in the 4ms pod I'm going to be very disappointed.

klick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by klick » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:47 pm

ikkini wrote:A question to Blck_noir users.

For those who did the TFD update, do you have an issue with the cabin fever knob ?
With this firmware, this knob is only useable from minimum value to noon. Past this value it is already at maximum and has no more effect.

I went back to Darkwave and the knob behaves normally. (but now, the filter is a simple LPF, not the LP/HP isolator style...)

Am I the only one with these issues ? :despair:
Hi Ikini, should should be fixed in the last release :)

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Re: endorphin.es BLCK_NOIR Superbooth 2018

Post by LDT » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:16 pm

Regarding whiny noise from Blck_Noir: I was using it triggered by a Beatstep Pro, and noise was wery annoying. But then I connected with Beatstep Pros anti-groundloop adaptor, and the whiny noise disappeared completely. So to conclude: If you think Blck_Noir is noisy, try changing your setup. Listen to it when it is not connected to other stuff except the output.
-Lars

señor-bling
Learning to Wiggle

Post by señor-bling » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:40 pm

Well, I've just received my BLCK_NOIR and in my system the noise floor through the mono and stereo mix outs is unacceptable. Nothing connected to the module, except headphones, sound triggered with the onboard buttons. There is a slight bleedthrough on some of the single outputs as well but I can live with that. Now, that noise floor... judging by the other thread ( https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/view ... &start=100) it seems to be present in all of their digital modules. At least for some people. I'd really like to know if there's someone who doesn't get this incredible amount of noise and what power/case solution they're using. I've got an Intellijel TPS80W (+their 90W external brick) in a custom built wooden case and so far this has been the only module that is causing any problems. I haven't yet tried disconnecting all the other module to see whether there's some interference maybe.
don't fold the wave you're riding on

hel1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hel1 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:26 am

mine doesn't produce a lot of noise, it is mounted in an Arturia 6U case, the gates are produced by an Euclidean Circles and a Tempi via a-0-b switches I made myself.

señor-bling
Learning to Wiggle

Post by señor-bling » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:01 pm

Thanks for the reply. In the meantime, I've tried disconnecting everything, leaving only the BLCK_NOIR, but this didn't change a thing. Guess I'll have to try a different power solution for my next case.
don't fold the wave you're riding on

Return to “Eurorack Modules”