MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

endorphin.es BLCK_NOIR Superbooth 2018
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author endorphin.es BLCK_NOIR Superbooth 2018
electrohead
Quote:

We are very excited to present our new module at Superbooth'18, the first one with a black panel – BLCK_NOIR.
It's black, it's loud, it's dark.
Fits all music styles – specifically tuned for Darkwave and Techno.
Visit us at booth O115 on 3rd...5th of May 2018 at FEZ Berlin
#blck_noir

Muse FTW
Drum machine? Sounds fucking great.
InteBra
That would look pretty next to Furthrrrr.
insula
love love love love applause
NoLegs
Uhhhh you had me at “Black” and “darkwave”
temaniak
I think its just Shuttle system in black colour
InteBra

Someone with Shuttle System knowledge can decide if this is a part of it or something new.[/img]
Doublecoolbossman
Definitely looks different from shuttle system.
target_destroyed
NoLegs wrote:
Uhhhh you had me at “Black” and “darkwave”
Indeed. Demo sounds awesome. Hype!
Hidden_Path
Me likey
shredsickgnar
Looks pretty awesome to me!

I wonder if sequencing is built in or if it will be handled by triggers from Shuttle Control. Or options for both!
mateo
Definitely looks to be a drum machine
DonKartofflo
God damn i love the demo
huffnPuff
Great modules, vulgar marketing.
euxine
Vulgar?
DonKartofflo
huffnPuff wrote:

Do explain, i cant wait to hear about your reasoning
insula
DonKartofflo wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:

if roland or korg do a teaser like this, i'm sure people never complain about it.

waiting for more endorphones news MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Batik Rhys
huffnPuff wrote:
vulgar marketing.

It's just a teaser vid..

And it's worked on me because now, I'm eager to lean more.

Please explain why you find it to be vulgar hmmm.....
dysonant
IIRC a few years ago endorphins made some questionable choices for t-shirts at a synth expo. Might have been the first superbooth or NAMM or something. I do not remember the shirts but I do remember them being pretty tasteless.

Maybe that is what is being referred to by huffnPuff? I think endorphins got a bit of negative feedback and seem to have changed course. I for one believe in second chances and learning from mistakes. Bring on whatever this module is.
leftbracket
Not to resurrect this old controversy, but here's an idea of what that "questionable taste" was like for those curious

CF3
DonKartofflo wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:

How about he doesn't explain and we talk about synths instead. Save the drama for your mama.

Now... back to GASing for a module I have no idea what it is and how much it costs, but damn I want it. Never maintain cash savings again
Teddyruxx
seems like it has to be a drum machine like others have stated, considering the shots of the module showed buttons lighting up to the rhythm of some percussion in that vid, and there aren't any illuminated buttons currently on the shuttle system.
vid sounds nice, i'm sending half of my shuttle system modules to them for repair any day now, might have to get them to throw in a BLCK NOIR. hope it's not prohibitively expensive.
InteBra
I’m happily away from my keyboard when not at work. Could some-one screengrab the other shots from the video of the new module? For science. And more speculation.
target_destroyed
leftbracket wrote:
Not to resurrect this old controversy, but here's an idea of what that "questionable taste" was like for those curious

That's it? Every Metasonix pedal ever features some kind of juvenile dick or shit humor and I don't think I've ever seen people complain about it. FFS the "iCunt" art is way worse than that shirt, and it's printed on the actual unit. Eh, whatever.

I'm not gonna lie, I chuckled at the "Fap Tools" sticker. hihi
huffnPuff
Metasonix is just as gross but AFAIK he doesn’t pose partly dressed to sell modules. It gets old real fast. Take a look at the pheromon.es website and documentation if you don’t know what I’m talking about.

I take it as an insult to nerds, in other words I take it personally.
InteBra
Can we stick to the subject? This threatens to become another filosophical thread. Start a thread about the advertising policy of endorphin. Let this be about the upcoming module.
HBCoffin
If your vulgar marketing accusation doesn't pertain to the video advertisement promoting this particular topic, I don't understand taking the time to discuss it here. I'd recommend you start another thread if it concerns you, or perhaps contact them directly.

If you wanted to stir up some controversy so bad, you could have at least worked it into the conversation. For example:

"I'm glad to see they didn't resort to vulgar marketing again to promote their product."

You shouldn't attempt to discipline a dog today for shitting the bed yesterday.
InteBra

I don't know what to make of it. The "cabin pressure" can also be found on the Grand terminal.
mateo
Cabin pressure / cabin fever are effects on the Terminal, I imagine it's the same here.

hh/cy is obvious, tb = timbale? mb/mo = ??

it's a bit funny they've gone "dark" with the video and the panel, but have retained the whimsical illustrations.
huffnPuff
OK, having said what’s on my mind (it’s a public forum, cope with it), I’ll play.

Second picture from the top seems to be trigger jacks for the different voices. The buttons underneath could be mutes or manual triggers (either/ both) for the corresponding voices. You can see the lights on those buttons flashing with incoming triggers. This tells me there’s probably no built-in sequencer.

It sounds to me like they are using some kind of hybrid/digital FM engine, maybe akin to the strong zero core on the FG. The voices seem to be hard-wired (as opposed to a modular/ semi-modular architecture) with some CV control. It has individual outs and a mono out, digital effects.

I don’t know what makes it particularly suited to techno or dark wave, other than the new color scheme that is. The cow and flying saucer from the FG are gone (they remind me of the Apocalypse Now beach scene), but there’s a comet and a tow truck.
InteBra
[/img]

This is from their Instagram account. Hope it's ok to put it here as well.
guestt
This is interesting, I love the idea and the format, but I am wondering what the range of sound possibilities are, it seems, very specific, no timbre controls, no sd card slot, for example!

I am guessing Throttle is a compressor.

I have no doubt that it will be amazing, but I wonder just how specific or conversely how flexible it is, any clues? Inside scoop?
Dogma
It's a drum module A you can see hh bd sn ect and 7 (?) trigger ins plus what looks to be a compressor and some env shaping stuff....
Hybrid?

Exit - 6 trigger ins and an accent in.....thought 7 a weird number
guestt
Sorry, didn't mention that as it is as you rightly say extremely obvious grin

I was wondering how those sounds are generated, synth, samples? hence my questions about timbre shaping and the sd card slot.
InteBra
Got an answer on Instagram that "many of timbres can be heard in the teaser".
Batik Rhys
I'm trying to figure out the 'to fx sends'...

Also, aux in. Could this be for routing a bassline or whatever through its compressor perhaps?
guestt
Okay, so it is a fairly heavily curated set of sounds then - good to know smile
Batik Rhys
Baddcr wrote:
Okay, so it is a fairly heavily curated set of sounds then - good to know smile

It looks to be yeah! Not necessarily a bad thing, hard to tell from the teaser as everything's drenched in reverb but I reckon it's gonna sound lovely.

So there's obviously individual tuning for each sound. Then there's decay for the bass drum & snare drum. Then there's spoiler, thrust & flaps (????).

Are any of these terminologies used on their other modules, can anyone hazard a guess?
guestt
Indeed, I am sure it will sound excellent!

I don't know the terminology; they could mean anything, I would imagine that that is where the timbre control is, but beyond that I have no clue grin

Wild guess: spoiler = distortion, thrust = overdrive, flaps = filter

They really are wild guesses though hihi
drowld
BLACK SHUTTLE CONTROL YEEEEH w00t w00t
behndy
drowld wrote:
BLACK SHUTTLE CONTROL YEEEEH w00t w00t

boop.

Muse FTW
Well if they continue that color scheme I'll be very happy.
tomtomtron
here we go!

digitaleyes
I for one love the gold colors, but will succumb to whatever color is available when the time comes
spinalbeatz
Ooooof that sounds killer.
Kent
I played it. It’s pretty dope. It is very very much tuned for certain sounds so you’d better like them. Still there is some range to the decay and tone of SD and BD and the digital noise can be tuned as well.

The buttons that are next to the trigger inputs will act as momentary ‘mutes’ if the trigger inputs are being fed. That’s pretty damn cool.

It also has a built-in ‘freeze’ effect that allows one to ‘sample’ a small section of the machine and stutter/loop it whilst making some changes. The other FX are (currently) directly from their existing product line.

Fleuw
Now i really wonder if i could just extend my own built shuttle system with 42hp fraptools plus skiff and add the black noir? Thats my biggest question at moment....because im soo going to buy this applause
Muse FTW
That's pretty dank. I don't know if it's for me, but it sounds very nice.
DonKartofflo
Im not a live show kinda guy but for jamming out some heavy techno this looks seriously dope.
guestt
Very good - I like the focus - sounds great smile

And the gold on black is much nicer than the purple on black!
CF3
Baddcr wrote:

The Black & Gold is super classy. Would love a whole Endorphin.es system like that. Gorgeous.
behndy
Baddcr wrote:

ya mawmz is nicer than the purple on black.

it is MAGENTA suh.

MAGENTA.

HARUMPH.
behndy
but yah. digging the black and gold. purdy.
abendrot
BLCK_NOIR is my personal highlight from this years superbooth.
You can use the effect processor for external signals.
You can tune the noise. It has an internal filter. The mute buttons
are super fun to play with and it sounds AMAZING!!

Super hyped for this module. Great job Endorphins! applause we're not worthy
InteBra
Also excited but the lack of a real demo is strange. The teaser video doesn't really count so we only have the Sonicstate video with crappy sound. Or?
guestt
It was only just announced - demo videos will come - give folk a chance!

Oh and it's not available until July - so don't be too surprised if a proper demo isn't forthcoming until then!
dephonator
huffnPuff wrote:
Metasonix is just as gross but AFAIK he doesn’t pose partly dressed to sell modules. It gets old real fast. Take a look at the pheromon.es website and documentation if you don’t know what I’m talking about.

Since I had nothing nerdy to do on my sunday morning, I visited the site you suggested (needs flash so you get to see nothing on an iOS device), but fail to see someone posing "partly dressed to sell modules". I don't understand Spanish, I must say, so maybe I'm missing something here. The site seems to have nothing to do with Modular Synths at all. hmmm.....

huffnPuff wrote:

What? I don't get it... Many strange posts nowadays on MW. So many moralists. And no one seems to be offended by the forum's name itself...

To add a totally superfluous remark: I myself am not particularly overwhelmed by the sounds from the BLACK_NOIR. But we will see. After all, I'm a big fan of the Endorphin.es thumbs up
InteBra

Somwhat better sounds in this one.
monads
I like the new panel color version....but hoping they offer to purchase a panel in original color scheme to match the Shuttle System Mr. Green
geremyf
I really dig the black and purple. I think I would probably just buy based on appearance!
Nutritional Zero
It’s been all quiet on this one, I think it would be really useful for me. I hope we can find out more soon.
huffnPuff
dephonator wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:

Since I had nothing nerdy to do on my sunday morning, I visited the site you suggested (needs flash so you get to see nothing on an iOS device), but fail to see someone posing "partly dressed to sell modules". I don't understand Spanish, I must say, so maybe I'm missing something here. The site seems to have nothing to do with Modular Synths at all. hmmm.....

huffnPuff wrote:

What? I don't get it... Many strange posts nowadays on MW. So many moralists. And no one seems to be offended by the forum's name itself...

To add a totally superfluous remark: I myself am not particularly overwhelmed by the sounds from the BLACK_NOIR. But we will see. After all, I'm a big fan of the Endorphin.es thumbs up

The pheromon.es reference was a joke, my take on endorphin.es. I didn’t check if there was an actual website with this address, apparently there is. I have and love the FG, I think endorphin.es have a great engineering team but their marketing does not appeal to me as much. An insult to nerds was (another) tongue in cheek allusion to sexually challenged wigglers that will buy anything advertised by a pretty girl.

It’s not at all a question of morals, there’s nothing immoral with what these guys and girl are doing. I’m not offended either, I’m just too old and cranky for this kind of teenage humor. So take my comment for what it is - one neurotic person’s rant on a public forum. Add a grain of salt and a zest of lemon to taste, you’re welcome.

In case you’re wondering this was the soundtrack of my adolescence.

Back to topic, meh.

P.S.

Why are the Cramps still cool and endorphin.es never will be? Because the Cramps don’t expose skin to sell a product - they ARE the product: filthy, raunchy and fun. Poison Ivy isn’t a model they found somewhere, she’s been playing with the band since day one. Their singer, Lux Interior, is very comfortable with exposing himself as well. Enjoy.

What endorphin.es do is a case study in turning the beautiful into the ugly.
electricanada
InteBra wrote:

Somwhat better sounds in this one.

Pretty boring and conventional. Why waste modular space on something so easily obtained from a computer or a drumbox? I pass.
dephonator
Another lazy Sunday morning...

huffnPuff wrote:
dephonator wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:

huffnPuff wrote:

The pheromon.es reference was a joke, my take on endorphin.es. I didn’t check if there was an actual website with this address, apparently there is. I have and love the FG, I think endorphin.es have a great engineering team but their marketing does not appeal to me as much. An insult to nerds was (another) tongue in cheek allusion to sexually challenged wigglers that will buy anything advertised by a pretty girl.

My post was tongue in cheek too, not meant that seriously and certainly not as an offense to you, huffnPuff spinning

huffnPuff wrote:
It’s not at all a question of morals, there’s nothing immoral with what these guys and girl are doing. I’m not offended either, I’m just too old and cranky for this kind of teenage humor. So take my comment for what it is - one neurotic person’s rant on a public forum. Add a grain of salt and a zest of lemon to taste, you’re welcome.

Frankly, I don't feel the nice young lady pictured in the Endorphin.es publications is there to actually sell something, I don't perceive her as a marketing instrument (like the classic "sex sells" concept), she's more like a figurehead or a mascot, being there to create kind of a cheerful atmosphere, goes very well with the playful design of the Endorphin.es modules. But yes, that's not everybody's cup of tea either. I happen to like it.

huffnPuff wrote:
In case you’re wondering this was the soundtrack of my adolescence.

Back to topic, meh.

Nooooo, the topic is too boring seriously, i just don't get it No pretty girl will be able to sell me the Blck—noir, period. Still don't like the sounds sad banana

Speaking of adolescence... I did in fact buy this record when I was in that certain age, just because of the cover, guess why...

I had never heard of the band before and no idea what the music would sound like (had been into classical stuff with a preference for Wagner, believe it or not). But I must say... I was VERY pleased with what I heard then. Don't have the vinyl anymore, but still love the first three Blondie albums.

Now as an old fart, I still buy records just for their covers now and then... but somehow my tastes seem to have changed confused

huffnPuff
To lazy Sundays Chugging Beers
Jenseits
Ridiculous thread.
spinalbeatz
Oh, would you look at that, a photo of the module!

dephonator
spinalbeatz wrote:
Oh, would you look at that, a photo of the module!

Just beautiful!
dephonator
Jenseits wrote:
Ridiculous thread.

Just AWSOME ;-)
dephonator
huffnPuff wrote:
Poison Ivy isn’t a model they found somewhere, she’s been playing with the band since day one.

My investigations show that Julia Bondar is not "a model they found somewhere" either, she's part of the Endorphin.es team. And together with Andreas Zhukovsky (also from Endorphin.es) she forms the duo 'Principal Uno'. Interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/praluno/

huffnPuff wrote:
What endorphin.es do is a case study in turning the beautiful into the ugly.

Sorry, no offence, but you lost me on that one... I give up seriously, i just don't get it
huffnPuff
dephonator wrote:
Sorry, no offence, but you lost me on that one... I give up seriously, i just don't get it

So do I, it doesn’t matter.

Perhaps if Andreas were gracious enough to take some clothes off for their next module web-page and literature that would help me find peace of mind. Until then, I solemnly swear, I will bother you with my thoughts on this subject no more.

P.S. I appreciate your post dephonator, no offense taken and none meant either.
Jenseits
I hope (and am sure) he won‘t make a single decision because of your taste.
It is so ridiculous that endorphin.es is morally judged on this forum for literally nothing/individual preference.
There is a 1000 things which offend my taste but i won‘t tell everyone all day long as you threaten to do it to me (and others). That‘s not nice. Please stop.
And: the endorphin.es is probably way cooler than 90% around here including me
sad banana
huffnPuff
You know, being on a public forum entails exposure to other people’s opinions. If mine upset you then please have the courtesy of adding me to your ignore list instead of telling me what I should and shouldn’t do. If you think I have broken forum rules then feel free to involve the moderators.

Good day.
Jenseits
freedom of speech as an excuse for your individual crusade... nice move.
I regret giving you an answer in another thread.
I took alternative 1.
electricanada
dephonator wrote:
Now as an old fart, I still buy records just for their covers now and then... but somehow my tastes seem to have changed confused

Wow, Deborah Harry has really let herself go.
huffnPuff
electricanada wrote:
dephonator wrote:

Diabolik!
sounds really good in this video:

Black Noir/Martial Canterel
dephonator
Diabolik! wrote:

I found these by Nero Bellum. Quiet convincing, I must say! Not shure if it's ok to post links to FB here, don't want to trick anyone to go there... (don't have an account there myself...)

https://www.facebook.com/theendorphines/videos/1876368112424753/

https://www.facebook.com/theendorphines/videos/1866927300035501/

Or on Instagram...

https://www.instagram.com/nero_bellum_official/

As a sidenote: I placed my order for a BLCK_NOIR at Schneiders yesterday hihi
dephonator
electricanada wrote:
dephonator wrote:

LOL
dephonator
huffnPuff wrote:

ADORABLE love love love
dephonator
huffnPuff wrote:
dephonator wrote:

So do I, it doesn’t matter.

It's all good! We don't have to convince each other, a respectful exchange of views can always be inspiring though thumbs up

I just felt I should speak in favour of the Endorphin.es. I still can't find evidence for "vulgar marketing", so I plead not guilty.

huffnPuff wrote:
Perhaps if Andreas were gracious enough to take some clothes off for their next module web-page and literature that would help me find peace of mind.

Indeed, he should take that t-shirt he's wearing in that Superbooth 2016 video (postet earlier in this thread), off sad That's really a bit inappropriate, I must admit. Who came up with such an idea? Anyhow, that doesn't go with their usual style.

huffnPuff wrote:
P.S. I appreciate your post dephonator, no offense taken and none meant either.

Cheers Drinking
dephonator
Jenseits wrote:

And: the endorphin.es is probably way cooler than 90% around here including me
sad banana

I fully agree! One of the coolest synth manufacturers in business today thumbs up
huffnPuff
dephonator wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:

ADORABLE love love love

I think you haven’t seen John Water’s Hairspray in which she plays the part of the villain? I tried to embed a video but it wouldn’t play - all the better if you haven’t seen it, just do it.
dephonator
huffnPuff wrote:
dephonator wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:

ADORABLE love love love

I think you haven’t seen John Water’s Hairspray in which she plays the part of the villain? I tried to embed a video but it wouldn’t play - all the better if you haven’t seen it, just do it.

I have seen it, but it's a long time ago. Very cool, very cute movie... What you posted must be a promo shot, because she doesn't look that gorgeous in the movie itself after her wig has been taking off. Must watch more J. Waters movies, thanks for reminding me...

And because Divine is also in the movie... I think, I'm going to make a cover version of "Shoot your shot" using the BLCK_NOIR... and perhaps the Metasonix S1K Mr. Green

Don't know how to embed movies, so please watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTuAv8f9KPs
huffnPuff
To embed movies you click the video button, paste the link, remove the s from https: and click the video button one more time.

Like so:

The late great Divine, gone but not forgotten.
spinalbeatz
dephonator wrote:
Diabolik! wrote:

I found these by Nero Bellum. Quiet convincing, I must say! Not shure if it's ok to post links to FB here, don't want to trick anyone to go there... (don't have an account there myself...)

https://www.facebook.com/theendorphines/videos/1876368112424753/

https://www.facebook.com/theendorphines/videos/1866927300035501/

Or on Instagram...

https://www.instagram.com/nero_bellum_official/

As a sidenote: I placed my order for a BLCK_NOIR at Schneiders yesterday hihi

Jeez this thing sounds amazing...
electricanada
Why do they call their company endorphin.es? For a long time I assumed they were located in Spain.
Diabolik!
electricanada wrote:
Why do they call their company endorphin.es? For a long time I assumed they were located in Spain.

pretty sure they're in Barcelona
dephonator
Diabolik! wrote:
electricanada wrote:

pretty sure they're in Barcelona

Originally they are from Vienna, Austria, I believe. But they seem to operate their business from Barcelona.
dephonator
huffnPuff wrote:
To embed movies you click the video button, paste the link, remove the s from https: and click the video button one more time.

Thanks thumbs up
Grumpypanda69
Looks and sounds great. Until I have the cash for the Erica drum system this’ll do nicely.

Quick insert. I was offended by that T-shirt in 2016, then realized my Cannibal Corpse “Worm Infested” & my old “F#ck me Jesus” metal shirt were a bit more offensive, so what does it matter?

As for the lady posing partly naked, if she’s enjoying herself & is not being forcibly made to do it it’s really nonce of you business yeah? Personally I think her posts online show she is a highly intelligent individual capable of making sound decisions, and she is rather attractive. As my wife said when looking at the Endorphins said “if you’ve got it flaunt it”.

I’ve no interest in any of their other modules, but have already put an estimated budget aside to buy this ASAP.
dephonator
6 to 8 weeks delivery time, according to Schneiders... 499,- Euros... those Nero Bellum clips changed my mind about the BLCK_NOIR's sound quality in a minute! And I ordered one immediately. So who sold me something in the end? A pretty girl or a handsome guy hihi
huffnPuff
Grumpypanda69 wrote:
Quick insert. I was offended by that T-shirt in 2016, then realized my Cannibal Corpse “Worm Infested” & my old “F#ck me Jesus” metal shirt were a bit more offensive, so what does it matter?

As for the lady posing partly naked, if she’s enjoying herself & is not being forcibly made to do it it’s really nonce of you business yeah? Personally I think her posts online show she is a highly intelligent individual capable of making sound decisions, and she is rather attractive. As my wife said when looking at the Endorphins said “if you’ve got it flaunt it”.

My comment was greatly misunderstood (famous last words). I’m not saying she is being made to do something against her will, I’m not saying she is not in control of the image she is projecting or that she shouldn’t be doing it. I don’t see it as an insult to women.

Quite the contrary, I see it as a manipulation on me as a customer. It irks me that someone in endorphin.es thinks this will make me buy something. It’s none of my business as you say, except I feel it’s being imposed on me. Intelligent you say? Juvenile and silly.

I think my OP was very clear, and the self deprecating humor it was written in should also be evident IMO. It’s OK if others don’t share my view, I’m not trying to convince or educate anyone.
Mashmore
huffnPuff wrote:
Grumpypanda69 wrote:

My comment was greatly misunderstood (famous last words). I’m not saying she is being made to do something against her will, I’m not saying she is not in control of the image she is projecting or that she shouldn’t be doing it. I don’t see it as an insult to women.

Quite the contrary, I see it as a manipulation on me as a customer. It irks me that someone in endorphin.es thinks this will make me buy something. It’s none of my business as you say, except I feel it’s being imposed on me. Intelligent you say? Juvenile and silly.

I think my OP was very clear, and the self deprecating humor it was written in should also be evident IMO. It’s OK if others don’t share my view, I’m not trying to convince or educate anyone.

I feel like you have made your point and don’t need to defend it anymore.

Let’s talk about the marketing and other stuff in another thread.

Maybe we talk about the actual module here? seriously, i just don't get it
huffnPuff
thumbs up
Digarojr
I really like the idea of the module being tuned to a darker sound, but it does not have many options for cv modulation.
"bd-tail" and "sd-tail" are kind of self-explanatory, but "thrust", "spoiler" and "flaps" are a bit more cryptic to what they modulate, and especially that big "throttle"-knob to the right. It initially looks and sounds awesome, but I worry that it could be to much of a one-trick pony. What do you think?
jzwoopwoop
Digarojr wrote:
I really like the idea of the module being tuned to a darker sound, but it does not have many options for cv modulation.
"bd-tail" and "sd-tail" are kind of self-explanatory, but "thrust", "spoiler" and "flaps" are a bit more cryptic to what they modulate, and especially that big "throttle"-knob to the right. It initially looks and sounds awesome, but I worry that it could be to much of a one-trick pony. What do you think?

You, sir/madam, have taken the words out of my mouth.
geh2oman
I think taking a look at the demo videos from the recent trade shows sheds some light on those, as well as the terminology from their other modules (for the effects). I believe they explain that those controls effect the tone/timbre of the metallic sounds in the module, from controlling and shaping the noise core for the sounds as well as having a resonant filter that does a LP<->HP control swap. The effects, too, sound like they're being really well thought out ports of the effects form their Grand Terminal.
andrewhuang
Endorphin.es kindly sent me a pre-release unit a couple weeks ago - I've just posted a full walkthrough video with sound examples here for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPv0675RKUA
spinalbeatz
Sounds great.
behndy
verrrrry nice andrewhuang!
Diabolik!
what do you all think would be the best drum sequencer to go with this?

The Erica drum sequencer looks good on paper, but its super expensive and seems like it has a lot of problems.

Eloquencer? Crazy8 Beats?
andrewhuang
I love Eloquencer with it. Blck_Noir has 7 sounds to trigger plus the clock input for live fills and the internal S&H, and then 13 sound parameters, so there's potential to throw loooots of CV at it.
Muse FTW
Kinda strange how the main tone parameter (Thrust) is linked between so many channels. Spoiler being a mass bit degrader makes sense if you think of it as an effect, I guess.

The one knob to control 2 effect parameters is kinda strange too tbh. I get that they're going for immediacy and performance but I feel like it's more of a hindrance than just having a second knob.

The effects themselves sound good, and having that onboard freeze effect is super useful. The filter is OK but there should be some kind of res control in addition to the cutoff...

The aux in only going to the filter and not going to the effects unless you hold down the Type button is ridiculous. That's the kind of thing that should get a dedicated toggle or switch.

I'm still pretty interested in this (and their Shuttle system) but those are some pretty interesting design choices.
andrewhuang
The aux effect thing is definitely not ideal.

In playing with it I got thinking of "thrust" as the "flavor of the kit" knob. More individual sound params would always be great but I imagine that's the tradeoff they had to make with a thing that's already 30hp.

Also, "flaps" knob = resonance!
spinalbeatz
Diabolik! wrote:

The Erica drum sequencer looks good on paper, but its super expensive and seems like it has a lot of problems.

Erica Synths would definitely pair nicely. It has a few bugs but they've been addressing those issues.
Digarojr
Great video Andrew, it answered a lot of questions!

Diabolik! wrote:

I think the Bastl Knit Rider could work quite well. It doesn't take up a lot of HP but is still very hands on. The only downside is that it doesn't have swing.
Torn n Frayed
Digarojr wrote:
Great video Andrew, it answered a lot of questions!

Diabolik! wrote:

I think the Bastl Knit Rider could work quite well. It doesn't take up a lot of HP but is still very hands on. The only downside is that it doesn't have swing.

New FW for Knit Rider adds swing...
geh2oman
Has anywhere in the US started preorders? I’ve seen pages up on Moog Audio, Schneider’s, Australia, Norway...
Jenseits
Seems they continue with their vulgar marketing.
They trained the female they found somewhere to control a modular.

The fact that she is doing it fully clothed baffles me... Although the skirt is a tad short. hihi

Excellent job Julia! Enjoyed the music a lot!

Multi Grooves
I cannot work out if this is a recruitment ad for INCELs or a drum module....

Grumpypanda69 wrote:
Looks and sounds great. Until I have the cash for the Erica drum system this’ll do nicely.

I’ve no interest in any of their other modules, but have already put an estimated budget aside to buy this ASAP.

Now I'll just leave...
Diabolik!
ben_hex
Diabolik! wrote:

Was just coming to add my demo video to the thread! Thanks for sharing it. For those that want to skip around there’s a sections lit / timing index in the video description.
behndy
so hawt. always love your vidjas suh. took an interest in Befaco loots and made it a sexy times passion crush.

Noir sounds GOOD. but gimme that stutter repeat effects section as a smaller module.

MOOF.
spinalbeatz
It's available at PCA for anyone interested.
geh2oman
Just put my money on one from Control Voltage! Even got a handy little phone call to let me know it was ready for ordering—those people are so nice.
jfb
Ordered one yesterday. Woohoo!
j259
Hmm, the noise floor seems a bit better on this than the Grand Terminal, perhaps because the gating or master level handling is different?

I think it's cool they went quirky CR78 style as opposed to the usual.

They should do another version of this with west coast complementary voicing, maybe more sine / wave shape / fm and pink and blue noise, burst generator and transistor gates.

The noise modulator on the Furthrrrr sounds so great, would be nice to have a simplified version of this and some more circuits for blips and bloops.

With similar redundancy, they could call it Red Rouge or something cool
monads
spinalbeatz wrote:
It's available at PCA for anyone interested.

Thanks! Order placed! SlayerBadger!
spinalbeatz
Placed my order tonight as well!
huffnPuff
Awesome demo by divkid! I’ll get one when funds allow.
geh2oman
How are people planning on sequencing theirs? I'm really torn right now between picking up:

a) second Ansible
b) MN Tempi
c) Beatstep Pro
d) Euclidean Circles
e) Knit Rider

Maybe I could be charmed into a Varigate? I don't know, I don't really have the space for the 8+ and the 4/4+ only go to 8 steps. Grids would be nice if it had more than three outputs. seriously, i just don't get it
spinalbeatz
I'm using the Erica Synths drum sequencer to trigger mine and I absolutely love the combo. PNW would pair very well with this also.
Diabolik!
I haven't gotten my Blck Noir in yet, but my eloquencer came in yesterday and I'm loving it. i'm using it with a couple Pico drum modules, and its very intuitive and easy to use. Love the visual feedback as well.
spinalbeatz
Posted a quick video on my Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/p/BnhMSCpF8N5/
Nielsen
Am I the only one who isn't convinced by this module? I mean, I really like the idea of a CR-78-like drum synth in Eurorack. But the synth or sound design capabilities are quite limited. At least there a good amount of CV inputs.

And soundwise most of the demos didn't sound that good either. Or am I too sceptical?
DonKartofflo
I gotta say i wasnt impressed when they released it thinking it was way too simple to be fun but boy was i wrong.
Tried it yesterday at raw voltage in vienna and i gotta say its a total jam monster! So intuitive, the velocity controls make it super easy to get grooving and it just sounds seriously massive!
If you consider that its a full drum section plus effects and performance features, the price isnt at all steep either.
Cheers!
Brendanleespengler
Not down w Endorphin.es. Further perpetuates the modular world as a sad, misogynistic club of out-of-touch, middle-aged chauvinists. The defensive responses to someone expressing distaste over a t-shirt with 5th-grade level artwork of a woman spread eagle with a ‘fap tools’ (?) sticker over her MUFF says a lot. A whole lot.
With that being said, Endorphin should be able to have any artwork they want on their products. Let your freak flag fly. But, we can also be cool and step up and say we think it’s tasteless and immature.
Jenseits
The stuff you’re interpreting into this tells more about yourself as about anyone else.
Dogma
Brendanleespengler wrote:
Not down w Endorphin.es. Further perpetuates the modular world as a sad, misogynistic club of out-of-touch, middle-aged chauvinists. The defensive responses to someone expressing distaste over a t-shirt with 5th-grade level artwork of a woman spread eagle with a ‘fap tools’ (?) sticker over her MUFF says a lot. A whole lot.
With that being said, Endorphin should be able to have any artwork they want on their products. Let your freak flag fly. But, we can also be cool and step up and say we think it’s tasteless and immature.

Fuck i find this annoying. If you cared enough to be "outraged" you would also know that "women" is part of the endorphines team. Part of the company, designer, musician.....
jox2000
Brendanleespengler wrote:

Tell me more about teledildonics5000... sounds like a great fap tool
kidkoexist
Dogma wrote:

Fuck i find this annoying. If you cared enough to be "outraged" you would also know that "women" is part of the endorphines team. Part of the company, designer, musician.....

Totally! Dudes deriding woman-led creative is not new, but annoying every time. "This is offensive to my man geek sensibilities!"
geh2oman
In addition to Dogma and kidkoexist, there's no need to conflate sexuality or art depicting women with derision and immaturity. Women are sexual, masturbation is great, we can laugh at it because humans and their bodies are weird but wonderful.

I personally don't think that the image on the shirt you're referencing is chauvinistic, not by definition, though one could argue that it's exploitative. And I do agree that there are many avenues of the electronic music scene in general that have problems with male elitism. But the balance of that is not that women and non-cis men (and also men) who are excellent at their crafts need to be prudish in order to gain respect and footholds in the scene. That's just as oppressive.

ANYWAY my blck_noir should be delivered today and I'm really excited. I ended up going with the Tempi because a) a lot of the ways I make rhythms are algo-/poly-rithmic anyway b) it's very immediate c) also black with cool buttons on the bottom.
Muse FTW
geh2oman wrote:

ANYWAY my blck_noir should be delivered today and I'm really excited. I ended up going with the Tempi because a) a lot of the ways I make rhythms are algo-/poly-rithmic anyway b) it's very immediate c) also black with cool buttons on the bottom.

I recently picked up a Tempi and am using it with a Trigger Riot (also recently picked up) and it's a lot of fun. Tempi is great at slightly off-kilter beats too.

Please post some demos of blck_noir in action!
huffnPuff
I thought you wanted this discussion to be about the module rather than the copy?

kidkoexist wrote:
Dogma wrote:

Totally! Dudes deriding woman-led creative is not new, but annoying every time. "This is offensive to my man geek sensibilities!"

This is absolute BS. No one has a problem with women in the industry. There’s Sandrine, the girls from Transistor Sound Labs and I hope others and many others still to come. They’re not wearing makeup and showing skin to sell modules, they’re not the merchandise. This Julia is playing the wrong cards, and were she a man it would have been just as gross.

If you feel strongly about women’s causes - whatever these may be - then consider the roles reserved for men and women in endorphin.es.
huffnPuff
Now the module itself is - on paper - nothing revolutionary (and so is the FG), but it seems to have an awesome UI that’s tailored for performance while still being very dense, with great core sounds and effects. For someone with a medium sized system this frees the filters, EGs and OSCs for other duties.

I like the mix and match of features: no sequencer but mutes, fills and manual triggers, morphing sounds between seperate drum parts, cherry-picked functionality and FX.

It’s the little bits and pieces that are winning me over.
Dogma
huffnPuff wrote:
I thought you wanted this discussion to be about the module rather than the copy?

kidkoexist wrote:
Dogma wrote:

This is absolute BS. No one has a problem with women in the industry. There’s Sandrine, the girls from Transistor Sound Labs and I hope others and many others still to come. They’re not wearing makeup and showing skin to sell modules, they’re not the merchandise. This Julia is playing the wrong cards. Were she a man it would have been just as gross.

If you feel strongly about women’s causes - whatever these may be - then consider the roles reserved for men and women in endorphin.es.

Grrr - so your saying she is is doing this under duress then?
So she has no agency of her own?

Ordered. Fucking cant wait. Inductor circuits - ive not herd them used in euro
huffnPuff
Where and when did I say so? Kindly read my post again.
Dogma
huffnPuff wrote:

I know you didnt, you did however entirely skirt the issue
huffnPuff
It makes no difference.
Cortega
Dogma wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:

I know you didnt, you did however entirely skirt the issue

Jeez Guys...really time to start a own Thread for this Thema, this is a Thread about a Module and not a Thread about Marketing Strategies Bullshit or not.

thanks
Jenseits
Haters gonna hate.
Diabolik!
nothing like a bunch of men chiming in to save a woman from herself d'oh!
secretmusicuk
Hi !
I got the chance to play with the Black Noir module yesterday.
Putting the pitch of the kick and the snare drum on tiny little pots stuck in between bigger pots is quite possibly the silliest design decision I've ever encountered in the Eurorack world.
What were they thinking ? It seems really difficult to imagine that no one, at any stage of the design, would have not said anything !
The very first parameter I will want to adjust on a drum, is its pitch... And they've made it the most difficult parameter to adjust. In fact it's so difficult to reach (especially the snare drum one) , that you will probably set it and then forget about it.
What happened ?
geh2oman
secretmusicuk wrote:
In fact it's so difficult to reach (especially the snare drum one) , that you will probably set it and then forget about it.
What happened ?

I think that's what the intention is exactly.
huffnPuff
geh2oman wrote:
secretmusicuk wrote:
In fact it's so difficult to reach (especially the snare drum one) , that you will probably set it and then forget about it.
What happened ?

Makes sense, considering the size of this thing and the focus on playability. They made some decisions about what features to drop or to relegate to small knobs, what features to add etc.

Granted, you can’t make everybody happy all the time.
secretmusicuk
huffnPuff wrote:
geh2oman wrote:
secretmusicuk wrote:
What happened ?

Makes sense, considering the size of this thing and the focus on playability. They made some decisions about what features to drop or to relegate to small knobs, what features to add etc.

I'm gonna go on a limb here, and i'm willing to be proven "wrong", but I'm willing to bet that most people would say the most used parameter when working on a drum sound is its tuning ...

also, have you tried the module ? the snare drum pitch "knob" is simply not useable. it's not a question of taste, we were about 6 of us at Schneidersladen, and we were all completely baffled. You need a screwdriver to pitch the snare.
huffnPuff
d'oh!

Is a screwdriver included?
monads
huffnPuff wrote:
d'oh!

Is a screwdriver included?

No. I think also the bd/sd/aux input trimmers were chosen to match that style of the Grand Terminal. And yes probably set/forget/play factor as well.

There was separate issue with my unit and the "type" button being stuck/unusable! I had to remove the panel to fix the issue!
huffnPuff
Diabolik! wrote:
nothing like a bunch of men chiming in to save a woman from herself d'oh!

Possibly the only comment that makes any sense in this entire discussion.
jox2000
secretmusicuk wrote:

also, have you tried the module ? the snare drum pitch "knob" is simply not useable. it's not a question of taste, we were about 6 of us at Schneidersladen, and we were all completely baffled. You need a screwdriver to pitch the snare.

you can't grab the tune knobs to turn them - thats right. but i found it easy to turn them with the point of a finger. not the most comfortable way, but useable it is.
jfb
Mine was delivered yesterday, but I haven't made time for it yet. Tonight! Unless I find something else to occupy my time. I'm bad about opening new gear. razz
jfb
I made time to check this out last night. I paired it with my VG8+/VB combo for some instant action. Having watched DivKid's video on it, I was able to hit the ground running, though I did read through the manual later. I knew what I was getting into and it delivers what I expected. I really like it so far. Having all of the sounds in one module with the effects and filter is a lot of fun to use.
spinalbeatz
Here's a jam I had running with the blck noir handling all the drum sounds. Gets a bit repetitive but thought I would share anyway.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/tr666/modulartechno4/s-o16A9[/s]
jfb
spinalbeatz wrote:
Here's a jam I had running with the blck noir handling all the drum sounds. Gets a bit repetitive but thought I would share anyway.

I can dig it. Thanks for sharing.
monads
Nice little jam! I paired with an Eloquencer as having the grid makes it real easy to cook up a beat! I was surprised on the filter knob and how it's able to nicely shape all the drum sounds at once, very convenient!! Kinda agree on the bd/sd tune controls not suitable for live/frequent adjustments due to size, but the design philosophy was 'set'n forget'. The effects section is cool, but not sure I'll find myself using much. Am hoping in a future firmware update though the user can tell which effect they're in by pressing the button and LED Blinking momentarily (i.e. 3 blinks for effect 3) or something.

Next step is to mess around with the individual drum outputs. The module offers good bang for buck and is a winner in it's 'drum module' classification. Great job endorphin.es!!!
echologist
Absolutely love mine. So well thought out. Great for creativing drum tracks that breathe and move.

Soundcloud
geh2oman
Getting really hooked into mine, combo with the Tempi.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnuhCEoBh0q/?taken-by=geh2oman
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnv31HUjkMl/?taken-by=geh2oman
Yander
spinalbeatz wrote:

Hey nice track! I just ordered one myself and I'm really curious to see the range of sounds it can do, post more grin
uniquepersonno2
Probably going to get one of these soon. Is the filter analog? Preliminarily I haven't been able to find any details on it and I'm curious.
limpmeat
i picked one up yesterday.

If the filter is not analogue, it is a very good emulation.
kwaidan
Does this come with a printed manual? I recently purchased one and was surprised that it didn’t, especially since they went the extra mile with graphics and layout.

As for the filter, it is implied that it is analog, and it sounds good; however, not much is written about it.
monads
Yeah not much is written about the filter so I don't know either. Assume it's analog since Endorphin.es. didn't implement the same digital filter options as found on the Grand Terminal. But would like some confirmation. It still sounds good regardless.

And no, the module doesn't come with a printed manual. Download/print and place in a binder with all those other modules that don't come with printed manuals smile
kwaidan
Given that the Grand Terminal is digital, maybe the BLCK Noir filter isn’t analog. On page 4 of its manual, the company writes that “the AUX IN can also used to update the firmware of the filter/effect section.”

I’ve only had mine for a day, but it seems as if when I move the frequency knob very fast, it takes the filter time to catch up. I don’t know how to describe it better, but it’s something I have not experienced with an analog filter. Of course, it could be my imagination, but I will test it to see if I am right or not.
Happyanimal
secretmusicuk wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:
geh2oman wrote:
secretmusicuk wrote:
What happened ?

I'm gonna go on a limb here, and i'm willing to be proven "wrong", but I'm willing to bet that most people would say the most used parameter when working on a drum sound is its tuning ...

I would disagree- I always reach for the decay knob on drums before pitch/tune.
monads
kwaidan wrote:
...On page 4 of its manual, the company writes that “the AUX IN can also used to update the firmware of the filter/effect section.”....

Good catch regarding the firmware updates correlating to filter!! I missed that. But why implement the same effects found on Grand Terminal and not the same filter types? That strikes me as odd because they could've rolled out the same 1 LED scheme for the filter select as effects found on blck_noir.
huffnPuff
So what are the proud owners saying?
konnekshen
that BLCK_NOIR is one of the few modules that make me regret having escaped from eurocrack hell

i would absolutely LOVE to see a standalone version of this

besides the alpha base the most exciting drum machine at the moment
atmosplak
re-infecting myself with the GAS for this module. Will have the cure close by just in case things get hairy MY ASS IS BLEEDING
spinalbeatz
New firmware coming soon!

Quote:
Overview
BLCK_NOIR is a complex 7 voice analog drum/percussive synthesizer module based around analog discrete CR-68/78 circuits with advanced noise spectrum animation and effect processor. GRAND TERMINAL is a dual filter, dual envelopes and effect processor which together with any VCO (or itself) creates a full synth voice. Now a new bank of effects is available for these two modules it’s called ‘DARKWAVES’. The effects were specifically tuned for drum processing. Following effects are new available:

Gated Reverb – to get that typical huge 80s drum sound
Flanger – it’s an always useful one
Ring Modulator – with interesting feedback feature
Overdrive – crank it for your bass drum
Compressor – to get that snappy snares
Gated Reverb, Flanger, Ring Modulator, Overdrive and Compressor are brand new effects in this firmware release – Spring Reverb, Ping-Pong Delay and Freezer have been there in the previous version already.

Jenseits
I’m excited about the new firmware for my Grand Terminal!
My guess for the “dark” surprise which is mentioned in the video’s description: Black faceplate for the shuttle system and probably individual modules too =D

I love my shuttle as it is and love that you guys keep on giving with the firmware! May you never stop!
djd_oz
echologist wrote:
Absolutely love mine. So well thought out. Great for creativing drum tracks that breathe and move.

Soundcloud

link broken
konnekshen
either they release a standalone version or i have to get back into EUR just for this module. so great !
Yloopz
I have got this a couple of weeks now. I absolutely like it a lot and can't wait to install the 'dark' firmware!
huffnPuff
konnekshen wrote:
either they release a standalone version or i have to get back into EUR just for this module. so great !

Get yourself one of those nice 4ms 32hp (powered) pods and a 2hp blank?

konnekshen
Yloopz wrote:
I have got this a couple of weeks now. I absolutely like it a lot and can't wait to install the 'dark' firmware!

i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read this
i will not read..
i will n...
bunkbeds
this module alone has got me wanting to make my first eurorack setup
Crimesofthecrown
This is the next module I'm getting. I am eager to destroy shit with this.
monads
The new "Darkwaves" firmware is now available!! Excited the fx bank is more 'drum'oriented and looking forward to giving a go. Endorphin.es never disappoints applause
Cortega
Dont do the Update, seems Endorphines had no Beta Testers, the Dry Wet closes not fully after Update and the alternative effect send mode works not.
monads
Cortega wrote:
Dont do the Update, seems Endorphines had no Beta Testers, the Dry Wet closes not fully after Update and the alternative effect send mode works not.

That's good to know thanks!!! I'll hold off till fixed.
monads
Any update news regarding the firmware and if still issues???
bgcriswell
I haven't had any issues with the firmware update.
monads
Successfully updated without issues using my iPhone hihi
Earthdark
Is anyone else's BLCK_NOIR kinda noisy? I'm getting a lot of hiss – is that normal?
McRINdk
Earthdark wrote:
Is anyone else's BLCK_NOIR kinda noisy? I'm getting a lot of hiss – is that normal?

haven't noticed but if your referring to noise when there are no triggers and all voices are turned ccw then check if you have an effect active and at a high setting. distortion has a hiss with no input and higher settings
redwick
I've also noticed this and asked the designers back in November and got this reply:

Hello
Than individual outputs are raw analog discrete voices. Used technology - discrete transistors- brings more noise and is a part of its vintage sound and had own charm.
As for the final outputs - they have a filter above 10khz since all deum voices are located in a spectrum lower than 10khz.
That’s normal for separate outputs
Andreas.

Just received the blck_noir and finding that all mixed channels, both mono and stereo are very noisy compared to the individual outputs. Is the module faulty? Will upgrading firmware make any difference? I have no issues like this with other modules. Can you advise please?

So it looks like it's down to what's on the board.
Earthdark
I emailed Endorphines too and got a super quick and thorough response.

Essentially the noise is a byproduct of the vintage analog circuit design, which is fine by me, I kinda like the lo-fi sound. I bought an open box unit and just wanted to make sure that my BLCK_NOIR was behaving as expected.

It's interesting that the individual outs are quieter, I hadn't noticed that.

redwick wrote:
I've also noticed this and asked the designers back in November and got this reply:

Hello
Than individual outputs are raw analog discrete voices. Used technology - discrete transistors- brings more noise and is a part of its vintage sound and had own charm.
As for the final outputs - they have a filter above 10khz since all deum voices are located in a spectrum lower than 10khz.
That’s normal for separate outputs
Andreas.

Just received the blck_noir and finding that all mixed channels, both mono and stereo are very noisy compared to the individual outputs. Is the module faulty? Will upgrading firmware make any difference? I have no issues like this with other modules. Can you advise please?

So it looks like it's down to what's on the board.
iheartmodular
for less noise, try moving away from any power source?

super nice module exactly the right sounds for me
rsillsley
Hi

Just got my blck_noir.

Nice module but something is buggering me.

I have no triggers in. I have a clock from my sequencer and i am taking the sample + hold out and putting it into velocity of each voice.

Each clock is now triggering the drum voice with a different velocity - so its kind of working.

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks, Russell
insoul8
xthrasherx
Anyone using the Blck_noir coming from the hexinverter mutant drum series? Specifically curious about how the kick hits compared to the bd9. Obviously there are fundamental differences in design, but I’m thinking about moving drums back into my rack and this seems like a great option overall. Most of the demos I’ve heard so far seem a little lacking on that oomph though for what I am wanting to do (suppose I can dedicate one of my tube VCAs to help out).
Cortega
xthrasherx wrote:
Anyone using the Blck_noir coming from the hexinverter mutant drum series? Specifically curious about how the kick hits compared to the bd9. Obviously there are fundamental differences in design, but I’m thinking about moving drums back into my rack and this seems like a great option overall. Most of the demos I’ve heard so far seem a little lacking on that oomph though for what I am wanting to do (suppose I can dedicate one of my tube VCAs to help out).

The Kick in the Blcknoir is a bit special and limited, it had a lot of oomph in the decay phase when you turn the BD Tail at high rate, its very bulgy then, but if you turn the Bd Tail at low rate its very small and weak, it still sounds great in lower settings but needs a compressor then, and dont expect hard hitting attack phase and oomph like in the BD9.
insoul8
Cortega wrote:
xthrasherx wrote:

The Kick in the Blcknoir is a bit special and limited, it had a lot of oomph in the decay phase when you turn the BD Tail at high rate, its very bulgy then, but if you turn the Bd Tail at low rate its very small and weak, it still sounds great in lower settings but needs a compressor then, and dont expect hard hitting attack phase and oomph like in the BD9.

I think you pretty much summed it up. You can keep the tail on the lowest setting though but as long as you turn the resonance up a bit, the kick can hit quite hard. I am very much liking it. Tail turned all the way down with no resonance, it is indeed pretty weak but not necessarily in a bad way. In that way, it has some good range.
xthrasherx
So would it be best to potentially layer it then with another module? I would likely want to add a touch of saturation on the kick no matter what for what I like to do, but just want to be sure before I pull the trigger. I love the built in fx and performance friendly nature which is increasingly becoming my focus. I have things like the Metasonix D2000 which is great, but not exactly “gig” friendly lol

Right now I’m debating between this and a mutant drum setup for some noisier “techno” / death industrial inspired nonsense
insoul8
xthrasherx wrote:
So would it be best to potentially layer it then with another module? I would likely want to add a touch of saturation on the kick no matter what for what I like to do, but just want to be sure before I pull the trigger. I love the built in fx and performance friendly nature which is increasingly becoming my focus. I have things like the Metasonix D2000 which is great, but not exactly “gig” friendly lol

Right now I’m debating between this and a mutant drum setup for some noisier “techno” / death industrial inspired nonsense

I don't find the need to layer it with anything personally. It can hit more than hard enough for me. And there is the built in overdrive effect which sounds awesome. I can't speak to how it compares to the mutant drum setup though as I've never used it.
xthrasherx
Thanks for the input. I think I’ll give it a shot since the savings in HP and fx use matters in my 12u performance system that I’m working on refining. Worst case scenario I can layer it with something else if needed, but I’m already running a compressor in the system so it shouldn’t be too big of a deal. Also could just be the demos that I’ve heard this far overall.
insoul8
xthrasherx wrote:
Thanks for the input. I think I’ll give it a shot since the savings in HP and fx use matters in my 12u performance system that I’m working on refining. Worst case scenario I can layer it with something else if needed, but I’m already running a compressor in the system so it shouldn’t be too big of a deal. Also could just be the demos that I’ve heard this far overall.

There are definitely more flexible drum modules out there but i'm also in the same boat trying to conserve space. I also really like the CR-78 inspired kind of sound. This thing was perfect for me the moment i saw it. It replaced my SSF and tiptop drum modules.
xthrasherx
insoul8 wrote:
xthrasherx wrote:

There are definitely more flexible drum modules out there but i'm also in the same boat trying to conserve space. I also really like the CR-78 inspired kind of sound. This thing was perfect for me the moment i saw it. It replaced my SSF and tiptop drum modules.

I’m not as familiar with the CR-78, but a lot of that is because of the sometimes circular nature of gear recommendations around certain styles. I’m not shy about using unconventional percussion sources (again Metasonix D2000 is a personal favorite), so nothing wrong with trying to break out of the usual sound echo chamber (909 on everything).
insoul8
I agree and it's nice having something not 808 or 909 inspired. The CR-78 was Roland's first programmable drum machine.
xthrasherx
insoul8 wrote:
I agree and it's nice having something not 808 or 909 inspired. The CR-78 was Roland's first programmable drum machine.

I meant I never messed with anything that was trying to copy the cr-78 (samples or otherwise). I can pick up a small sample wav player if I find I absolutely need that 909 kick sound (or a sample of the DFAM) later on. Rarely do i not run something through one of my many FSU devices, so I’m probably fretting over nothing. As long as it moves air, I’ll be stoked It's peanut butter jelly time!

*edit* Ordered! Looking forward to adding this to the case in a few days and even more so to pairing it up with the new WMD sequencer whenever it finally ships. applause
ES
Anyone experiencing high bleed on all the noise related outputs?

Through the mix out and when seperated.

I was using it with a distortion for ages and wanted to go cleaner and now have noticed a ridiculously high volume of bleed especially on the hh and cymbal/metal bar outputs.

Continuous high frequency noise. Is really noticeable even before 12'o clock on the vol.

Love this module but I cant use it like this confused

Will record on the weekend in two cases and see what comes up..
limpmeat
I had issues just like you described, was the PSU in one of my cases. Moved it to a different case and it disappeared
JM Midnight
So far, I've been using my Noir with a DC-1 Computer and an Erica Drum Mix. Erica really helps fatten up the kicks and define all the other beats. I really love the Noir, and it is kinda noisy, but the Erica does a bit to help smooth out the bleed.
xthrasherx
So I’ve had the blck_noir in the rack for a bit now. I go back and forth on a couple aspects of it, but it ticks enough of the boxes for me overall. Sometimes the kick doesn’t cut it for me and I’ll send another kick in through the aux in. When I do this I’ll tune the Noir kick to become more of a low tom which works quite nicely.

That said, I did quite enjoy the blck_noir on this track where everything felt like it gelled quite nicely. Just need for that new WMD sequencer to hurry up and arrive because it looks like an excellent pattern variation machine.

shanebroderick
would you suggest having a bunch of dedicated attenuators for this module?
monads
^I wouldn't think so. For me it's more set the knobs and trigger away. Some of the knobs work as attenuators when CV is applied.
docsample
limpmeat wrote:
I had issues just like you described, was the PSU in one of my cases. Moved it to a different case and it disappeared

what case are you using? I have tried a 4ms pod and make noise skiff w/ uzeus power. both noisy as hell. haven't tried my pittsburgh or mantis case yet.
ikkini
A question to Blck_noir users.

For those who did the TFD update, do you have an issue with the cabin fever knob ?
With this firmware, this knob is only useable from minimum value to noon. Past this value it is already at maximum and has no more effect.

I went back to Darkwave and the knob behaves normally. (but now, the filter is a simple LPF, not the LP/HP isolator style...)

Am I the only one with these issues ? seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 9