MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

That satisfying feeling when i only have 5 modules...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author That satisfying feeling when i only have 5 modules...
TOPLEL
...and they already cover 80% of the mono sounds i ever wanted to make.
They fit in a single Ikea Rast. 2X TH555VCO, CGS Tube VCA, Dual CGS ADSR and a Yusynth Minimoog filter. Once i will get a second rack, make a third VCO, a dual LFO, a TGTSH and im done.

On the other hand i've seen a guy on Youtube getting better patches out of a Microbrute than me of this stuff.
cptnal
Don't compare the worst of what you do with the best of someone else. No doubt the other guy doesn't post the 90% of his stuff that's shite. I know I don't. screaming goo yo
ranix
they aren't better they're just different
Stereotactixxx
Been there, had that feeling.

Then I bought more modules and realized I just didn't know what I was missing out on.
bmoren
Making compact dedicated systems is where it's at. focused so you can pull out every ounce and are forced to be resourceful. I am currently downsizing from 6U 90hp to 6U 84hp and even that has got me asking hard (but super useful) questions. as you said with that microbrute guy – more is not always better. I find that the deeper I get, the more that I can understand all of the details of a module the more power gets unlocked. so adding so many to the mix only further complicates or distracts from learning everything to its maximum.

For example I just started dipping into the Rings hidden modes after a year of using it, and that's pretty amazing.

I wonder if anyone has ever calculated the maximum number of combinations of patching via jacks (not taking into account turning knobs) and tried to do every possible combination on their system.... hmmm.....
Robscorch
bmoren wrote:
Making compact dedicated systems is where it's at. focused so you can pull out every ounce and are forced to be resourceful. I am currently downsizing from 6U 90hp to 6U 84hp and even that has got me asking hard (but super useful) questions. as you said with that microbrute guy – more is not always better. I find that the deeper I get, the more that I can understand all of the details of a module the more power gets unlocked. so adding so many to the mix only further complicates or distracts from learning everything to its maximum.

For example I just started dipping into the Rings hidden modes after a year of using it, and that's pretty amazing.

I wonder if anyone has ever calculated the maximum number of combinations of patching via jacks (not taking into account turning knobs) and tried to do every possible combination on their system.... hmmm.....

... you would like to think this now. Then when your thinking about a compositional system or like 8-10 voices you will be a little more than upset trying to get it all back and usually there is at least one module that will elude you. Granted you can always upgrade, but you may not be able to replace what you've lost. I've done this many times over the years even before being here on muffs officially and even in my other hobbies. I don't have regrets per say in Eurorack, but even if I've lost a module I've usually upgraded for functionality or some similar module.

This is specially true in Eurorack, because let's face it these electronics are getting faster and faster life cycles. It's either outdated or miniaturized or combined into some sorta other dip etc. etc. etc. There is this aspect to think about when considering down sizing.

Now on the combination thing it would be more of a waste of time than I assume it would be worth at least for most people's needs. This might be good for the number of cables you need, but like VCA's there is no such thing as to many and if you find yourself not using so many sell or trade those jokers off and put the money into something else.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1