MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Voice Controller calibration data for eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Voice Controller calibration data for eurorack
kesserich
I appreciate the power of the voice controller's tuning capabilities but for a modern eurorack oscillator -say a Shapeshifter-, isn't it reasonable to assume that it would hit the Eurorack spec of 1v/octave? And if that's true, can't we all just use the same calibration data and just concern ourselves with tuning the pitch knob of the oscillators?

I get that vintage gear is a totally different beast but if my STO or Mangrove or Z3000 or whatever didn't track perfectly with this spec, i would blame the oscillator and try to calibrate it.

Does such a calibration data set exist?
os
No, because the calibration depends as much on what is outputting the CV as what is receiving it.
kesserich
os wrote:
No, because the calibration depends as much on what is outputting the CV as what is receiving it.

Could you explain this to me please?

It seems to me that if I have tuned a 'well-behaved eurorack' oscillator to play a C1 when it receives 1 Volt, then it should play a C2 when I send it to 2 volts and a C3 when it receives 3 volts.

I'm not aware of any eurorack sequencers, for instance, that include a calibration procedure. They are all just programmed to emit pitch voltage based on the 1 volt/octave eurorack spec.
os
Yes, but their outputs are calibrated. The outputs of the ES-3, ES-8 or whatever DC-coupled audio interface you're using are not calibrated.
kesserich
os wrote:
Yes, but their outputs are calibrated. The outputs of the ES-3, ES-8 or whatever DC-coupled audio interface you're using are not calibrated.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1