MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Haken Audio Introduces ContinuuMini Synthesizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Haken Audio Introduces ContinuuMini Synthesizer
Corrupt
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/04/27/haken-audio-introduces-co ntinuumini-synthesizer-a-more-affordable-version-of-its-powerful-conti nuum/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Kickstarter later in the year!
2disbetter
Exciting, but I am curious about y tracking on such a narrow strip. Looking forward to details!
tIB
Interested - wonder if it will allow midi in so I can control the sounds with another MPE controller?

Edit - midi over usb according to the text above
Leverkusen
2disbetter wrote:
Exciting, but I am curious about y tracking on such a narrow strip. Looking forward to details!

Yes, I would expect the Y-axis and pressure to fall very close together on such a small surface.

Though I find the reference to the Trautonium very interesting and tend to see this as a more sensitive ribbon controller where pressure and y-axis variance would allow for a more natural playing experience when you program Y to very slight variances in tone. Whereas on a classic continuum you have more control for sound changes on Y-axis.

Also it depends on the foam used for the surface. It has changed over time and may allow for a very soft touch and playing experience on slow and tender finger movements.

Im looking forward to learn more about this on superbooth!
rowsbywoof
Why is Haken doing a Kickstarter for this? You would think they were established enough, and have a long enough track record, to create this and drum up interest/presales/etc on their own.
scottmoon
rowsbywoof wrote:
Why is Haken doing a Kickstarter for this? You would think they were established enough, and have a long enough track record, to create this and drum up interest/presales/etc on their own.

Seems to be way more companies are going. I'm tired of paying for things ahead of time. It's probably better for their cash flow.
gryfon1
rowsbywoof wrote:

I’d be very surprised if “they” amounted to more than 2 or 3 people. I could be wrong, but in relatively early dats, it was pretty much Lippold and maybe an intern, grad student, or part-timer.
He’s a great guy, and deserves support. But I share the hesitancy about Kickstarters.
OTOH, he/they are established, so are probably much less likely to be shilling vapor-gear.
rowsbywoof
gryfon1 wrote:
rowsbywoof wrote:

I’d be very surprised if “they” amounted to more than 2 or 3 people. I could be wrong, but in relatively early dats, it was pretty much Lippold and maybe an intern, grad student, or part-timer.
He’s a great guy, and deserves support. But I share the hesitancy about Kickstarters.
OTOH, he/they are established, so are probably much less likely to be shilling vapor-gear.

Sure, but there's a cost of doing business on Kickstarter. They actually take a sizeable slice of the pie, and Haken is established enough that they really don't need what Kickstarter brings to the table. The validity of having a Kickstarter is probably a much bigger discussion than belongs here, but I don't know why someone who already has an established customer and fan base would need it when they can drum up just as much interest, and probably make more money, posting the item for sale on the Haken Audio site instead.

Eh, to each their own, I guess. smile I'm sure he has his reasons.
numan7
Lotsa Love well golly, now doesn't that look just adorable!

cheers
mdoudoroff
For anyone with any substantial curiosity about the Continuum, the ContinuuMini looks to me like a no-brainer way to try it out with less risk. Or maybe it’s actually more risk, because if you like it, you’ll wind up ponying up thousands more for a full size model! help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds73-udF5jA&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gckpdjhi2NY
ix
makes me want the original way more , the power i thinks in the control level of the original but this is an amazing price for a pre order and to be able to tap the matrix sounds which are insane.

anyone selling a secondhand light touch ?smile
Pugilistas
Okay, the ContinuuMini kickstarter is up and running. And to give you an idea of their production prowess, they are contemplating delivering about 12 a week!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1605483632/continuumini
JohnLRice
RickKleffel
Damn! Backed. Waiting. Sounds very unique, a bit like my collaborator's Linnstrument when paired with some high-end orchestral samples. Not analog, oh my! With a machine like this, etc!
jcn7
Looks like my half size Continuum will be having a baby in a few months! smile
tIB
While I understand there are compromises in terms of the haken interface I'm really interested to see if this is a cheaper way into the eaganmatrix synth engine - from a quick read it appears so, although theres a specific editor for the mini being made... can't do the Kickstarter unfortunately but will be keeping a close eye on this one.
Umcorps
tIB wrote:
While I understand there are compromises in terms of the haken interface I'm really interested to see if this is a cheaper way into the eaganmatrix synth engine - from a quick read it appears so, although theres a specific editor for the mini being made.

That's why I'm in.

It is the cheapest way into the Egan Matrix. The mini editor is just factoring in physical compromises that come with the mini (and the reduced polyphony) but its the same core as the bigger siblings.

The Continuum users Facebook group is a good thing to tap in for more info direct from the designers.

As for me, I'm blocking out months in the diary next year to lock myself away and try to get my head round the Egan Matrix. Reading the manual on its own isn't really helping right now.

EDIT - From the FB user group

tIB
Thanks for that - will you be working with the continuing or controlling it via external controller? I'm really interested in the eaganmatrix, though my compromise would be controlling (when polyphony is needed) via Linnstrument - apparently there is something about the attack portion data that means it isn't going to be the same as controlling with a full continuum but I'm very interested to see where I can get with that engine.

I'll be very interested to see how you get on...
Umcorps
tIB wrote:
Thanks for that - will you be working with the continuing or controlling it via external controller?

Both. I think it should give me a bit more as a controller than my Ribbon does but I also think, as an instrument, it will sound really good paired with other modular sourced sounds. Looks like my Shuttle Control will work very well as a midi/CV converter for the Continuum. Should power it too which is handy.

Quote:
I'm really interested in the eaganmatrix, though my compromise would be controlling (when polyphony is needed) via Linnstrument - apparently there is something about the attack portion data that means it isn't going to be the same as controlling with a full continuum

Yeah, I'm still working this out but it seems that the Continuum does MPEs midi Key Velocity in a different way to give finer detail within the attack stage. I get a bit confused between MPE and MPE+ at this point. I think being confused will be my default state for a while.

Unlike most Kickstarters it looks like they will be shipping quite quickly - talking about the first units coming out in Jan. So not too long before the trouble starts.
peripatitis
Well it is done,
I've put my foot at Haken's door!
I don't know how well it will work with my fingers but indeed the engine, combined with that small factor is part of the charm. (the other being, I need to sell my euro to be able to afford the big one).
And perhaps if it works as a controller for the kyma (the seaboard roli has been a nice companion, although I was a bit negative at first) it will be great.

Regarding the kickstarter campain, i believe there is a video where they said it will kind of helps them sustain the price of the bigger one. Perhpas they could do a kickstarter for the haken with a 30-40% early adopter deduction...

Btw does anyone know if less custom fees or vat apply for kickstarter campains? I remember reading something similar for the phenol..But I am not sure.
tIB
I wouldn't have thought so on the vat/customs.

Wish I could join you folks on the kickstarter for this - there's a chance I guess but I've had a few gear purchase accidents recently and need to glance things out. It's a shame as I'll end up with one of these eventually and will probably pay more as a result. Ho hum!
Umcorps
^^ This is why I panicked and jumped now.

I think by the time they go into normal production, its going to about 30% more to buy in the UK than the Kickstarter price. So, yeah.

Obviously the KS price doesn't factor in VAT and the usual customs handling charges here so there is going to be 20% plus on the headline price for us. But that will be the same for the production units so by the time that happens the mini will have close on a £1k price tag here.

And that's before the £ collapses at the end of March very frustrating
mmp
#211 in the KickStarter line. I’m guessing May.
peripatitis
ok so i found out a post here from Andrew of Killpatrick's which tbh i don't know how ended up for the buyers of phenol..
Anyway here is the post:

Hi folks,

I thought I'd take a moment to explain the situation with customs as we understand it. So far we have had people all over the world successfully receiving their PHENOL rewards but I suppose a few hiccups are to be expected, and I appreciate folks for bringing this to my attention. We're working with a company that specializes in order fulfilment to make sure everyone gets their reward promptly and without hassle.

The declared value for customs is not the same as the amount you pledged. (it's lower) This is because Kickstarter is not a store, and you're not actually buying a product:

https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/kickstarter-is-not-a-store

When you make a pledge to a Kickstarter project you may have noticed that you can type in any amount. The reward tiers are set so that if you pledge a certain amount you can choose to receive a certain reward. This doesn't imply the value of the reward or even guarantee that you'll get it. You could pledge $10,000 for something that is worth $100 if you want. If the project is successful and the people running things are honest, then you will receive a reward.

This is how we are treating shipments of PHENOL rewards. They are declared at a low but reasonable value based on our own internal assessment of the value. The Kickstarter PHENOLs are a special edition with different SKUs and branding than the eventual retail units. The lower declared value saves us shipping cost and saves the backer taxes paid compared with if they'd bought the retail version.

If your customs people have a problem with the value on the item, have them contact me and I will help to explain the situation.

Thanks to everyone for your support and happy patching!

Cheers,

Andrew

If this is a possibility perhaps we could suggest it to Haken for the mini's...
tIB
He was basing cost based on parts most likely - that's a cool way of doing things...

I'm scheming on this one still... I don't have answers but I do have want!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2