MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Speedy J - A Shocking Hobby
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Speedy J - A Shocking Hobby
Krankenwagen
Recently started listening to this album again while packing away my record collection. Such an amazing and underrated album. Dense, overwhelming, terrifying and beautiful. It's a shame that it doesn't look like he's made another album in nearly 16 years. Does he just DJ now?

Anyone else share a love of this album?

lisa
One of the best albums from that era, imo. Public Energy no 1 is really good too though.
porphyrion
Yes, he was on an amazing path with those two albums!
I always liked his big, over the top sound, it made a good contrast to ae's more intricate but smaller sounding compositions. (nothing wrong with either, both were amazing at the time!)
Personally, I could never merge SpeedyJ's more regular techno stomps with his more advanced 'IDM'/industrial albums... or his ambient output for that matter. Strange but intriguing guy!

A shocking hobby holds up well when compared to so much from that era.
Thanks for bringing it up! Still totally love it!
thresholdpeople
I like Ginger and G Spot a lot. Been a long time since I've listened to them though. Haven't heard A Shocking Hobby though, will have to check it out.

I think he collaborated with Lucy a few years back...

Yeah, here we go:

Playlist of the whole album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsz0X2Xo-mg&list=PLrUT2ip4hq44cPlMS7DT 2A--tRbKpnoKm.
Tumulishroomaroom
I saw him DJ this winter in a warehouse north of Paris and it was absolutely banging. The closest to Bargain I've ever felt here. It helped that the sound was monstrous too.
ReturnCodeZero
Krankenwagen wrote:
Recently started listening to this album again while packing away my record collection. Such an amazing and underrated album. Dense, overwhelming, terrifying and beautiful. It's a shame that it doesn't look like he's made another album in nearly 16 years. Does he just DJ now?

Anyone else share a love of this album?

Fucking love this, to me it is still a constant source of inspiration and reference.

I liked the Zeitgeber stuff too but still waiting on new stuff from him. I read in an interview somewhere that he was working on new material, however nothing has surfaced yet. I was keen to see what came of his 'multiples' project with Surgeon too but I think they only ended up doing like one show?
mhtones
Yes, this a great album! Thanks for reminding me to give it a spin. It's been a while. thumbs up
Krankenwagen
Glad I'm not the only one who loves this album.

I should really go back and listen to his pre-Public Energy albums. I tried to buy them after getting into A Shocking Hobby but Public Energy was the only album I could find (Also great). Maybe give Loudboxer another listen too. Didn't get into at the time because I was hoping/expecting a continuation of the Noise/Hip-Hop/Industrial/IDM stuff he was doing on `Hobby`. Even if I don't like all his stuff I have a massive amount of respect for the diversity of styles he's produced over the years.
tron23
mhtones wrote:
Yes, this a great album! Thanks for reminding me to give it a spin. It's been a while. thumbs up

+1 Guinness ftw!
rayultine
Ni Go Snix - don't think there's ever been anything like it. I loved this era of Speedy J and would have bought 10 more albums of that sound.
Futuresound
So good to see this get some love. What an album. It manages to occupy a unique space to this day, quite a feat.
maltemark
A landmark listen for me as well. The thickness and density of the drums on vopak. THE brutal beatings on borax... Made me go down a long path of experimenting with autofilters and added noise to try to get that brutal silk. Still have no idea of the production techniques needed for such magnificent beat producing. Truly stunning.
bimbom
tied up by LFO has a similar vibe to speedy j's noisy side.
ignatius
a classic. i listen to this regularly at work.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1