MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Have you ever envisioned your own sound synthesis?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Have you ever envisioned your own sound synthesis?
Homepage Englisch
Apologies if this is in wrong forum, but I'm not really sure where to put it.

So, you dabbled in different synthesis techniques through the years: subtractive, addictive, FM, PD, sampling, granular, vector, Karplus-Strong, LA, spectral, physical modelling. And combinations. With any possible means of producing it, hardware and software. Have you ever wondered "there must be more than this" and "invented" your own? Perhaps not adequately practically formulated it, with detailed coding or circuit boards, but have the general idea in your head or waveforms scribbled on paper? Care to share your ideas?

(I have a few: one is the variant of physical modelling, one is something I called "Quadrant-controlled oscillator" and one is based around just-tuned intervals appearing in different phenomena such is soft sync, but let's see how this thread develops.)

I'm fairly sure somebody smarter than me will pop in and say such-and-such thing already exists, but let's try.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Homepage Englisch wrote:
"Quadrant-controlled oscillator"

I'm curious. Can you elaborate? If it's interesting enough, maybe I can figure out how to do it with actual electrons and such.
MindMachine
Yes.
Homepage Englisch
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Homepage Englisch wrote:
"Quadrant-controlled oscillator"

I'm curious. Can you elaborate? If it's interesting enough, maybe I can figure out how to do it with actual electrons and such.

Okay. Imagine a waveform on a xy coordinate system. Crest is in 1st quadrant, trough is in 4th, zero crossing is at (0,0). For any parameters you have an option to do it on crest and trough separately, but there's also an option to link them, for symmetry. There's an "amplitude amount" for both sides, and it's bipolar, hence you can reflect the trough from IV to III quadrant, effectively full-wave rectifying. Not sonically interesting yet, but useful for LFOing and FMing some QCO's parameter with another QCO. Nothing earth-shattering yet. Now, imagine a set of a points (for the sake of simplicity, 4) in each quadrant that define waveform's shape and they can be freely moved at (x,y) to determine the shape and perhaps even the curvature. Basically, a dumbed-down version of "draw your own waveform" which uses some tools find in graphic (vector) software. I don't know if such thing exists, if it does, everything I posted here is rubbish because someone already implented it in a better way. There are a few more tricks in the sleeve, a (hopefully) unique takes on clipping/distorting/wavefolding and in unique "pwm" application, but if you're interested, let me know, I'll send you a PM.
mt3
Homepage Englisch wrote:
I have a few: one is the variant of physical modelling, one is something I called "Quadrant-controlled oscillator" and one is based around just-tuned intervals appearing in different phenomena such is soft sync, but let's see how this thread develops.

Post sound samples.
SlayerBadger!
Homepage Englisch
mt3 wrote:
Homepage Englisch wrote:
I have a few: one is the variant of physical modelling, one is something I called "Quadrant-controlled oscillator" and one is based around just-tuned intervals appearing in different phenomena such is soft sync, but let's see how this thread develops.

Post sound samples.
SlayerBadger!

I can't post samples if those techniques exist only in theory. I guess I could draw a waveform in DAW and then slowly re-draw changes, although it's quite a tedious task.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1