MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

OSX/IOS Oscilloscope recommendations
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author OSX/IOS Oscilloscope recommendations
j450nn014n
I'm looking for OSX/IOS Oscilloscope recommendations.

I have 2 Rigol DS1052E & 2 DSO Quads. Learning them is a work in process.

I want to be able to put simple signals on a big screen so I can let children see what the changes they are making to the various signals in some Moog Werkstatts I've got. I'm working with JK/K children. The Oscilloscopes I are just too small for what I want.

I've got a pile of old and functional iPads and Macbooks that I can repurpose for this.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.
search64
Why not just use the iphone camera to stream the screens of the oscilloscopes you already have? You’d only need a stand for your iphone.
LED-man
Oscium iMSO-104 Oszilloskop für iPad - iPhone - iPod https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00E4WT4HA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Hey5AbZVKD4J4

It’s for the older IPhone/iPad connectors not for lightning
j450nn014n
search64 wrote:
Why not just use the iphone camera to stream the screens of the oscilloscopes you already have? You’d only need a stand for your iphone.

Good point. I should have said that I tried that. And I have video cameras with svideo outs that can go to a TV. And used a usb video camera is us for soldering. None of it is portable enough for me. I have a bucket of old iPads from another project and I want to use them. Kids are used to them. Thanks for suggesting it though.
j450nn014n
LED-man wrote:
Oscium iMSO-104 Oszilloskop für iPad - iPhone - iPod https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00E4WT4HA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Hey5AbZVKD4J4

It’s for the older IPhone/iPad connectors not for lightning

Thanks. It is one I'd been researching. They do make a lightning version as well. I've seen them, but I don't know anyone who has used it. Have you? Do you like it?
j450nn014n
I came across this one as well. Anyone use it?

LabNation SmartScope https://www.lab-nation.com
emmaker
Do the Rigols have a virtual scope?

I know the Tek DPO/MSO/MDO 2K/3K/4K (and I assume the big boys too) have a virtual scope in them. Hook them up to a network cable, get the scope's IP address and then bring up your browser with the IP address. You get the waveforms refreshed (slowly) and control of the major functions in the browser.
j450nn014n
emmaker wrote:
Do the Rigols have a virtual scope?

I know the Tek DPO/MSO/MDO 2K/3K/4K (and I assume the big boys too) have a virtual scope in them. Hook them up to a network cable, get the scope's IP address and then bring up your browser with the IP address. You get the waveforms refreshed (slowly) and control of the major functions in the browser.

the Tek series looks amazing, but miles outside of my price range. Those things got me thinking about solutions. My Rigols are not high end and have no outputs I can use. Strangely enough, I just found another Rigol that someone left in storage in my lab, I've not found the key for the cage, and I'm of to search for the key. It MAY have an output I can use, because it looks more high end, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the thoughts/advice.
Lockheed
I' m have been using Oscilloscope app by Onyx on my ipads for years. Signal in from cheap Behringer USB audio interface via apple camera kit.

If a simpler scope might suffice, check out Oscope app. It's quite limited and not ios11 compatible, but I recall it is/was free at some point?

Edit: Not using these for accurate voltage or dc metering of course. The Oscilloscope app can be roughly calibrated to measure voltages tho (from known vco levels for example).
j450nn014n
Lockheed wrote:
I' m have been using Oscilloscope app by Onyx on my ipads for years. Signal in from cheap Behringer USB audio interface via apple camera kit.

If a simpler scope might suffice, check out Oscope app. It's quite limited and not ios11 compatible, but I recall it is/was free at some point?

Edit: Not using these for accurate voltage or dc metering of course. The Oscilloscope app can be roughly calibrated to measure voltages tho (from known vco levels for example).

Thanks. I saw these and book marked them but wasn't sure how useful they were. I don't need them for proper oscilloscope use. I have some proper ones for that. Just for visualizing waveforms and their interaction. The app is now $14 (CDN). I might be able to use it with the inputs from some of my iRig devices. Certainly worth that price to try it out. Will report back.
Lockheed
There seems to be a free app Physics Oscilloscope too, maybe worth checking out too.

The one thing I needed when looking for scope was the XY mode to visualize lissajous patterns, and I recall the Onyx's Oscilloscope was the only affordable option with that feature (at least back then).
j450nn014n
Lockheed wrote:
There seems to be a free app Physics Oscilloscope too, maybe worth checking out too.

The one thing I needed when looking for scope was the XY mode to visualize lissajous patterns, and I recall the Onyx's Oscilloscope was the only affordable option with that feature (at least back then).

Thanks. I'll check them out. I'd totally forgotten about lissajous patterns, just getting back into electronics after 40 years. :)
j450nn014n
My engineering prof friend said I should go with this " PICOSCOPE 2204A-D2", because of the reviews. https://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope/2000/picoscope-2000-specificatio ns

Going to give it a shot.
j450nn014n
For $150, this is a great scope for what I want. Got it from Newark pretty quick. It has software for windows, linux and mac. Though the mac software's beta. I had no problems getting it up and running, and that I can run it on a larger screen is exactly what I want. I may buy another and run it off a rasperry pi with a small eurorack size screen that I have too.

THanks for the advice.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1