MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tube pullers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author Tube pullers
metasonix
Recently I noticed that no one is currently making a "puller" for vacuum tubes. From the 1920s until the 1980s, pullers were made in all kinds of shapes and designs, and were essential items in every electronic technician's toolkit.

My partner Kathleen has been doing a lot of crochet work lately, and she offered to make a "tube sock" that was usable as a puller. A puller allows a better grip on the tube and helps protect against tube breakage.

She's now making two types, on a very limited basis in small quantities. They are both intended to slip over "miniature" tubes of the 12AX7 or 6AK5 variety and have good "grip" on glass. They are usable on the tubes in nearly all of our current Metasonix products. If someone wants a puller for larger power tubes, that will have to be a custom item in Kevlar yarn.

1. The regular acrylic version is made of a bright yellow "vintage" acrylic yarn. It is well suited for pulling miniature preamp tubes out of their sockets. It is usable on tubes in all current Metasonix products except for the large 14BL11 tube in the RK3 module. And it can be used to pull preamp tubes in guitar amps and other gear. Acrylic yarn can withstand 200 deg Celsius and is routinely used to make potholders. It's probably NOT suitable for power tubes like the 6BQ5/EL84 that run very hot. The retail price is US$16.

2. If a customer wants the "ultimate" and the "best", or needs a puller for power tubes that get very hot, Kathleen can also make pullers out of real Kevlar yarn. Such pullers are resistant to temperatures of over 800 deg Celsius and are very difficult to damage or unravel. They are the natural light yellow color of most Kevlar fabric. Because Kevlar yarn is extremely expensive (more than 100 times the price of the acrylic yarn) and quite difficult to work with, we have to ask more for the Kevlar pullers: $50 retail.

Please note that these are HAND MADE, one at a time, and so each one is different. The quantities are limited so there's no guarantee they will remain available for many years.

See attached photos. Any interest?
Yes Powder
Sure, I'd buy one!
metasonix
Yes Powder wrote:
Sure, I'd buy one!

We emailed our dealers that they are available--no response. You might try poking a couple of them.....thanks.....
ritchiedrums
sell these direct! nanners
Yes Powder
ritchiedrums wrote:
sell these direct! nanners

This!
snakejaw
also would work wonderfully as willy-warmers.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1