MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Author Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'
hewed
[deleted]
Tenderosa
I was going to make this same query. Only occurred to me the other day how useful modulation cv from the modular transmitted back to external hardware as midi CC would be.

Thanks! And thanks also for the FH2, it's made my modular more useful

lloydb wrote:
Hi there,

Just wondering if there's any plans for using the FH-2 for CV to MIDI conversion via the 2 CV inputs?

I posted a while ago asking about this and was told it could be coming in a firmware update. Have there been any developments?
kamindustries
I'm getting a little stuck troubleshooting trigger levels. I have my FH-2 set up so output 1-3 and 5-7 are MIDI/CV converters with CV, trigger, and velocity. 4 and 8 are direct CC. My problem is the trigger on output 2 is giving me lower levels than the trigger on output 6, to the point that it doesn't retrigger a Maths trig envelope. But output 6 does.

I made sure all my trigger outputs are set to 0-10V with a high gate level of 16383, and I tried changing the voltage and high output values to something different and back again to make sure the settings were going through. Any ideas what's happening?
manglepup
kamindustries wrote:
I'm getting a little stuck troubleshooting trigger levels. I have my FH-2 set up so output 1-3 and 5-7 are MIDI/CV converters with CV, trigger, and velocity. 4 and 8 are direct CC. My problem is the trigger on output 2 is giving me lower levels than the trigger on output 6, to the point that it doesn't retrigger a Maths trig envelope. But output 6 does.

I made sure all my trigger outputs are set to 0-10V with a high gate level of 16383, and I tried changing the voltage and high output values to something different and back again to make sure the settings were going through. Any ideas what's happening?

Double check smoothing settings; a little bit of smoothing on a trigger will make it so maths doesn't see the trigger.
kamindustries
manglepup wrote:
kamindustries wrote:

Double check smoothing settings; a little bit of smoothing on a trigger will make it so maths doesn't see the trigger.

Thanks, I did check my smoothing settings but didn't seem to help. I ended up remaking the config from a default state and everything is working now. Wasn't a big pain, just hope it sticks.
manglepup
Thanks, I did check my smoothing settings but didn't seem to help. I ended up remaking the config from a default state and everything is working now. Wasn't a big pain, just hope it sticks.[/quote]

I had something similar happen with the first config I ever made, and I've never had anything similar since. That being said, I have forgotten to save my config/presets a couple times after editing them.
Funky40
edit: solved !
i need the FHX-8GT

sorry
linjirinzai
Hi,

I'm looking to use Logic as my master clock, and send the clock into FH-2 and from there into other Eurorack modules (Pamela's New Work, o_C, etc).

I've seen some people say that "MIDI clock isn't tight enough," whereas others seem to do this with no complaints.

Could someone comment on this with the FH-2? I don't have a DC-coupled audio interface, nor do I have an extra audio out (my interface only has a few outputs) that I could conveniently use for a clock...and I also don't fully understand how I'd set this up. Thanks.
-S.L-
"Midi isn't tight enough" is true but coming from hardware like old drum machines for example.

If you use a master clock from any DAW, to your FH2 , it's gonna be rock solid and won't move at all.
os
I would disagree. This is one reason Silent Way and the ES-3 etc. exist.

USB MIDI timing is famously not rock solid.

However it may be good enough for your purposes. Only you can decide that.
Migrigsynth
OS,

Would you recommend going with Silent Way and an ES-3 instead of a FH-2 if you're sequencing "short attack" type sound sources?
os
If you’re sequencing from a DAW, and timing is a concern, and have compatible hardware (eg an ADAT output for an ES-3) I would always recommend Silent Way over a MIDI solution.
Migrigsynth
Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated sir!
Neither
Is there any theoretical drawback for connecting my computer to FH-2's USB C with USB2 instead of USB3? Might the MIDI timing be more solid or anything? I'm might be running out of USB3 ports at some point but I've got plenty of USB2 ports free...
os
The FH-2 doesn't support USB3.
Neither
os wrote:
The FH-2 doesn't support USB3.

Good to know.

---

I'm unable to get started with FH-2. I'¨m using Chromium and the Web Configuration tool says that 'Web MIDI status: OK'. The FH-2 display shows 'C'.
So everything should be in order, right?

Well, when I do some changes and press "Send to FH-2" while selecting FH-2 from the "Send to MIDI port menu" - nothing seems to change.

The web-display says:

PM: sent config dump request to FH-2
PM: 0 mapping(s)
PM: sent sysex (4137 bytes)

When I try to upload the settings (back to my web-display) while selecting 'Listen on MIDI port: FH-2' from the corresponding menu - nothing changes.

The display says that: "PM: sent config dump request to FH-2"

I've watched this tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4y8RPDm2h0
(in addition to reading the manual)
but nothing behaves the same as in the tutorial?

I've updated the newest firmware and I'm using the newest Web Configuration tool.

So what simple mistake am I doing?
os
What do you get from the 'Request FH-2 Version' button?
Neither
os wrote:
What do you get from the 'Request FH-2 Version' button?

BOX1: " sent version request to FH-2 "

BOX2: " F0 00 21 27 2F 22 F7 "

edit: also the "Send msg" button is working correctly

edit2 : I changed the USB port from USB3 to USB2. Now the "uploading" seems to be working.
I thought that USB3 would have been backwards compatible...
Neither
I'm still having constant trouble with the FH-2 web configuration. Most of the time it simply doesn't work.

Almost every time, uploading from FH-2 doesn't work. Then I have to reboot FH-2 and hope that it might work next time. Now again, uploading doesn't work at all.

Quite often, the FH-2 option isn't visible in the pull down menu of the "Send to MIDI port" setting.
Even though it is visible in the pull down menu of the "Listen on MIDI port" setting.

Windows recognizes FH-2 just fine...
Not a single error message.
Other programs (Maschine 2) seem to recognize FH-2 and communicate with it fine (by what I can tell).

This is really frustrating. I've spent countless hours on booting, rebooting, removing cables and trying different ports, restarting browsers, then closing them, then rebooting and hoping for best, etc.
os
Chrome on Windows seems a little unreliable when it comes to web MIDI. It's on my to-do list to investigate a non-browser-based config tool.
Neither
os wrote:
Chrome on Windows seems a little unreliable when it comes to web MIDI. It's on my to-do list to investigate a non-browser-based config tool.

For me, configuring FH-2 on Windows (10) is a nightmare. I'm almost thinking that I've got a faulty unit. I've tested the web-config with Chrome and Chromium and with three different USB-A to USB-C cables. Some combinations are more buggy than others and things might only work by a lucky accident. For one time. Then nothing works again. So getting to learn what different settings do and how they act will probably take me months at this pace.

So I need a work-a-round. Getting a Mac is way too expensive solution.

I've been trying to get the web-config to work on android. The web-config wouldn't connect if I used a USB-A to USB-C cable. But it connects with a USB-C to USB-C cable (that goes straight from phone to FH-2's C-plug). Web MIDI status: OK. Hurray! However the web-config is very buggy on Android also.

Do you think a Linux laptop might work better than Windows or Android?
os
I have no idea, sorry.
Neither
Well, seems like Android with Chromium works quite well and reliably for making config changes. Much better than with Windows 10.

Now my workflow would become considerably faster if FH-2's USB type C input would support USB type C hubs? Currently, I need to disconnect my Windows machine each time I need to make a change with Android to FH-2. Not a huge hassle but anyways...
Neither
I've got a drumpad supposedly supports polyphonic aftertouch.
I'm trying to figure out the correct settings:

My controller doesn't support MPE so is I guess the paraphonic aftertouch would be the correct setting? I couldn't find any mention about it in the manual...

Another thing I'm confused about... If I tick the box 'Show FH-2 Output Configurator' in the web configurator, it displays two 'FH-2 Output Configurators'. One output configuration is displayed always, even if the option 'Show FH-2 Output Configurator' isn't selected. They both look identical:

Is there any difference between the upper one and lower one? Because when I change settings to the upper one, they don't seem to be reflected on the lower one.
os
The two configurators is a glitch in your browser. There should only be one.

The FH-2 doesn't have true support for polyphonic aftertouch (aka Polyphonic Key Pressure) at the moment. It supports regular aftertouch (Channel Pressure), which is how MPE implements per-note aftertouch.

Polyphonic Key Pressure is currently treated as Channel Pressure, and so comes under the 'paraphonic aftertouch' in the config tool. It's a while since I tested that though.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Page 12 of 16