MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Author Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'
JES
I can confirm aftertouch works as expected with a Linnstrument.
DiAL033
I own a fh2 for some days now and I am really pleased by its performance. However the web config is rather annoying to use IMHO. The web midi interface works, barely. Lots of timeouts when requesting a cfg for instance. The cv.Ocd midi to cv also uses a web config, but simply renders a sysex cfg to file. This also has the advantage that you can load a cfg file into the forms. That way you can look up cfg settings without having to dump from device. I think this would be an easy fix to implement and would serve as an workaround for a lot of problems with the web config mentioned here, too.

I also struggle with the concept of the midi converters. It feels unnecessarily complicated and often unclear what output is used for what function. Maybe the tool could spit out an assignment map of outputs and converter inputs?
os
I just released v1.5.6 which should fix most (all?) of the problems with the web config tool not responding to requests for config dumps.

File under "stupid bugs". Honestly I'm amazed it worked at all.
Funky40
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh2firmware.html

thanks !
os
I also just added download links (on http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh2firmware.html) to standalone versions of the config tool, that don't require a separate install of Chrome or Opera. I would be interested to hear if people prefer these.
nangu
My FH-2 came in the mail yesterday, and isn’t even in a case quite yet.

However, I can definitely say that a stand-alone config app is preferable to anything browser-based (and presumably internet-dependent).

There is a slightly off-grid hovel which pretends to be a studio. The toilet has serious issues, and it has no internet access. But the monitors can get waaay loud without disturbing anyone..

If I need to mess with FH-2 settings while I’m there, accessing a web tool with a real laptop will be pretty much impossible. iPhone or iPad could work. But standalone sounds fantastic.

Thanks!
Stue
Received my FH-2 this week, too. I prefer the standalone version of the config tool (macOS version in my case) - thanks for offering this. I have paired the FH-2 with my new Elektron Digitakt - a whole new jam experience with my modular and some classic midi synths, top!

Cheers
Gonzbull
+1 for the standalone config tool. I’ve yet to receive my FH-2 though. OS, any idea when Perfect Circuit will be getting a replenish?
Cheers
os
2-3 weeks, at a guess.
scragz
nangu wrote:
My FH-2 came in the mail yesterday, and isn’t even in a case quite yet.

However, I can definitely say that a stand-alone config app is preferable to anything browser-based (and presumably internet-dependent).

There is a slightly off-grid hovel which pretends to be a studio. The toilet has serious issues, and it has no internet access. But the monitors can get waaay loud without disturbing anyone..

If I need to mess with FH-2 settings while I’m there, accessing a web tool with a real laptop will be pretty much impossible. iPhone or iPad could work. But standalone sounds fantastic.

Thanks!

You can save the HTML file to a laptop and run it locally with no internet connection.
Neither
os wrote:
I just released v1.5.6 which should fix most (all?) of the problems with the web config tool not responding to requests for config dumps.

File under "stupid bugs". Honestly I'm amazed it worked at all.

Many thanks! The stand-alone program works great and uploading the configuration from FH-2 works really fast. On the web configuration (in Windows 10) the upload process takes 1-2 minutes (this is probably Chrome's fault). Also I've still got the minor glitch where I see the 'FH-2 Output' box as a double. The stand-alone program is completely free of this glitch. Otherwise the web configuration is working much better than previously and connects to FH-2 without trouble. I'll be using the stand-alone program but the web cconfig might be useful just in case (if I need to tweak the config on-the-road with my phone or something)

Btw, Maschine 2 works with FH-2 without the Midi-Din socket. Just need to keep the Maschine software running on a computer and plug the computer into FH-2's USB-C connector. Plugging a USB cable straight from Maschine to FH-2's USB-A socket (socket for hosts) doesn't work, even when Maschine is in midi-mode. I'll need to test if Maschines midi-mode would work (without a computer in between) if I'd connect it with a USB-b cable (from Maschine) straght to FH2's host socket. But first I'll need to get a USB-B to USB-C cable.
saiteron
Neither wrote:

Many thanks! The stand-alone program works great and uploading the configuration from FH-2 works really fast. On the web configuration (in Windows 10) the upload process takes 1-2 minutes (this is probably Chrome's fault).

seems to be Chrome for sure. i had the same issue but weirdly enough when i use Brave (Chromium-based browser) the upload process is almost instantaneous. hmmm.....
DJ Tap Water
Can this take midi note data with portamento and pitch bend attributes and convert it into a single gliding pitch cv?
autopoiesis
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Can this take midi note data with portamento and pitch bend attributes and convert it into a single gliding pitch cv?

it can and will do this for you dj tap water
peterpanderretter
Hey Chaps,

tonight first session with my FH-2 + OT & got some issues - maybe you can help

- configured 1-4 with the online tool as triggers reacting to midi notes.
> 1,2,3,4 are working but 1 is illuminated with constant blue; others are red just when getting triggerd (?)

- manual page 10 "The top right of the screen shows the current clock source. The possibilities are "None", "Int" (internal clock), "Ext" (external analogue clock), "USB A", "USB C", or "DIN"."
> can not choose usb a as clock input (displays shows "AI") - can just choose "none" & "int" (?)

- can I configure X or Y to output me the external clock signal of my Octatrack somehow

thanks for your support!
kpreid
peterpanderretter wrote:
- manual page 10 "The top right of the screen shows the current clock source. The possibilities are "None", "Int" (internal clock), "Ext" (external analogue clock), "USB A", "USB C", or "DIN"."
> can not choose usb a as clock input (displays shows "AI") - can just choose "none" & "int" (?)

I got confused by this too; the answer is that there's no setting for external clock. Just send MIDI clock in while the internal clock is off.
os
Quote:
> 1,2,3,4 are working but 1 is illuminated with constant blue; others are red just when getting triggerd (?)

That will be differences in the voltage range setting for the outputs.

Quote:
can I configure X or Y to output me the external clock signal of my Octatrack somehow

X & Y are inputs. You can configure any of the outputs as clocks.
drowld
Are the jack as bad as in the other ES modules ? or did they upgraded them ?
I have es3/es6 and fh1 and the jack are terrible.
I'm selling fh1 for this reason and looking for alternatives for the 3 of them because how bad they are.
2disbetter
Do you mean that the jacks feel loose? Out side of not needing a whole lot of force to unplug things, I haven't had any problems with the jacks. I just make sure the plugs are all firmly plugged in, and I'm good.

It could be improved, but I don't know of any midi to cv solution now or being released that comes close to the flexibility and utility of the FH-2 (heck the FH-1 is still great as well).
peterpanderretter
drowld wrote:
Are the jack as bad as in the other ES modules ? or did they upgraded them ?
I have es3/es6 and fh1 and the jack are terrible.
I'm selling fh1 for this reason and looking for alternatives for the 3 of them because how bad they are.

Yes I also got to say that I never felt such a weird patch feeling.
Feels quite cheap and not this satisfying engagement point (CLACK) - it is more a KrrKrrKrr seriously, i just don't get it
peterpanderretter
kpreid wrote:
peterpanderretter wrote:

I got confused by this too; the answer is that there's no setting for external clock. Just send MIDI clock in while the internal clock is off.

Hmm - this bug should definitely get fixed Especially when it is getting mentioned the right way in the manual..
os
Quote:
Hmm - this bug should definitely get fixed Especially when it is getting mentioned the right way in the manual..

What bug? What @kpreid describes isn't a bug, it's the intended behaviour.
kamindustries
peterpanderretter wrote:

Yes I also got to say that I never felt such a weird patch feeling.
Feels quite cheap and not this satisfying engagement point (CLACK) - it is more a KrrKrrKrr seriously, i just don't get it

That's a good description, I agree they're weird and don't have the satisfying CLACK. But if that's the tradeoff for getting bipolar illumination embedded in each jack, that's fine with me. This module is all about configuring and reconfiguring to fit your setup, and the bipolar indicators have taken a lot of initial guesswork out of verifying my configs.

I suppose if there were to be an FH-3, I would wonder if putting a small LED adjacent to each jack, and having "normal" feeling jacks, would compromise the design in some other unforseen way.

IMO this is all very nitpicky though and mostly tangential to what a great module this is.
peterpanderretter
os wrote:
Quote:

What bug? What @kpreid describes isn't a bug, it's the intended behaviour.

As explained in the post below the selection of the clock type should be visually noticeable as described in the menu ("ext", "usb a", "din")
> there is no marker showing that you are on external clock mode - quite confusing..
os
That's not a bug though, that's just you disagreeing with the design choice.

There is no selection of the clock. The module follows the clock that it receives, and clearly displays which clock it's following.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Page 13 of 16