MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Author Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'
drowld
It's not like the jack are fine.
They are the worst i've seen on any eurorack modules. And make the modules cheap as they could be.
It's really a design flaw and i'm not sure why os insist on not changing them.
There must be reasons but he doesnt seem to advance them.
peterpanderretter
os wrote:
That's not a bug though, that's just you disagreeing with the design choice.

There is no selection of the clock. The module follows the clock that it receives, and clearly displays which clock it's following.

OK but where is it showing me that it is following clock which comes from (midi > usb a)? (a picture would help)
os
peterpanderretter
It is showing this
(Octatrack sends master to a Quadra thru > midi to usb cable > fh2)

os
It says the internal clock is running. Did you start it (for example by pressing the left button)?
peterpanderretter
Yes I startet the sequencer.
Also tried direct connection w/o Quadra thru.
It receives midi notes though..
seriously, i just don't get it
os
Don't start the internal clock if you want it to follow the MIDI clock.
os
Just dropped firmware v1.6, which includes CV/MIDI conversion, some handy new LFO features, and some other fixes/improvements.
Tenderosa
os wrote:
Just dropped firmware v1.6, which includes CV/MIDI conversion, some handy new LFO features, and some other fixes/improvements.

CV to MIDI! Huge update, thankyou.
mrerdat
FH-2 manual wrote:
The X & Y inputs can be used to generate MIDI from incoming CVs. Each input can be configured
independently. Note that when an input is enabled for CV/MIDI conversion it is no longer available
for other duties; specifically, use as clock inputs is disabled.

The resulting MIDI can be sent out via any or all of the available MIDI ports (USB A, USB C, and
DIN), and also used internally by the FH-2 as if the MIDI had arrived from elsewhere. It is
therefore possible to use the CV inputs to control aspects of the FH-2's behaviour usually controlled
via MIDI.

wow this rules
Tenderosa
os wrote:

Just been running the cv to midi, extraordinary how useful it is. Been controlling the filter poles selector inside my Moog with a cc number translated from Maths. Very different to just tweaking this via the daw.
Ypsi Kid
I'll also agree with the person a few post above about the jacks. The jacks on the module are really crappy. Plugging anything in feels like something is broken and they just generally feel crappy. They work though, so as long as they don't break early (it feels like everytime I plug into input 1 or 2, it feels like the jack is broken and also sounds crunchy).

Anyways, the module is working great for me, so not complaints outside of that. Will have to update to the new version this weekend.

Cheers.
Funky40
Thanks os !

updated.
CV 2 midi yet to be explored......Nice addition !

i run now the new config tool.
My main music PC, mac mini, was for example not able to connect with the FH-2. ( using chrome )
Had to use my old macbook.

works now with the new desktop based config tool on my main mac.
Great job! much appreciated

(might have to open a own thread later for some trouble shooting though vs. programming configs)
Mr. Aloud
noob question:

It seems the ENV can be dampened and inversed by the depth setting (-64-+64). So for a +-5V signal, a setting of 32 would mean 0V-2.5V while -32 would mean 0V- -2.5V, is that correct?

I didn´t see a similar parameter in LFO settings, does that mean LFOs will always swing between +-5V and need an external attenuator? Would surprise me, as there are so many other parameters for LFO control.

That said, I first wanted to buy an ES-8, then decided to go ES-3 instead, as that would bypass the CV out limit under Win10: ES-8 can´t be stacked, so only one unit under win10 and no other audio interfaces unless ASIO4ALL plays nicely. Which, in my experience, is a gamble.

Right now I think of a combo of ES-3 and FH-2, as I want to use MIDI Fighter Twister for knobs to control a bunch of virtual LFOs and ENVs. And then have ES-3 for audio I/O and probably computer generated LFO/ENV when needed (better resolution, probably faster).

Which brings me to the question: I´d assume the FH-2 is not seen as an audio device by Win 10, but a class compliant MIDI device. Can I have multiple of those and stack them? That would allow for a ton of CV and for a few signals that need it, I could still go ADAT/ES-3

Does that make sense?
scragz
Finally got a second FHX-8CV (those things are difficult to track down right now).... For anyone else getting more than one of these, please note that there is a SEPARATE MANUAL for them and you must set a jumper telling it to be the 2nd expansion. I was just reading the relevant portion of the FH-2 manual and was perplexed why the 2nd one was duplicating the signals from the 1st.
os
Quote:
It seems the ENV can be dampened and inversed by the depth setting (-64-+64). So for a +-5V signal, a setting of 32 would mean 0V-2.5V while -32 would mean 0V- -2.5V, is that correct?

Yes.

Quote:
I didn´t see a similar parameter in LFO settings, does that mean LFOs will always swing between +-5V and need an external attenuator?

No. Each LFO shape has its own level control, and there's an overall level multiplier as well.

Quote:
I´d assume the FH-2 is not seen as an audio device by Win 10, but a class compliant MIDI device. Can I have multiple of those and stack them?

Yes. But you can also expand the FH-2 with the FHX-8CV and FHX-8GT, which would be cheaper.
Mr. Aloud
Awesome, many thanks for the fast, accurate and helpful reply.

Reason for multiple FH-2 is separate modular systems, so probably extending each of them with FHX as needed.

Same thing for ES-8 (audio based modulation and audio I/O) if drivers could be stacked, otherwise I´ll probably go ES-3 and multi ADAT I/O from the PC side of things.

So one PC (win10) will be at the center, while each modular should get a combo of FH-2 (midi integration) and ES-8 (preferred), but probably has to be ES-3 with multiple RME adat cards (2 babyface, 2 hdsp 9652) which I´d rather sell.
Funky40
is there a way to make a "autoload at boot up" configuration so that the FH-2 would for example load preset-1 and config-1 at boot up ?

i think i read sometime back that there is a way to do so ? but where/link ?
or: how would i do this ?
scragz
Funky40 wrote:
is there a way to make a "autoload at boot up" configuration so that the FH-2 would for example load preset-1 and config-1 at boot up ?

https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads/manuals/fh2_user_manual_1.5.pd f

Page 15, Settings -> Startup preset / Startup configuration
Funky40
ahh, scragz, you are the best.

i was in the Manual the other day. But i´m not good with Manuals oops

much Thanks !
lionel
Could someone help me understand What the FH2 firmware 1.6 cv/midi conversion can do ?
I’m thinking of getting an ES6 to pair with my ES3, but I’m Also interested in the live possibilty (without Daw) that the FH2 offers
My bank hopes I won’t Have to get both wink
os
You can take a CV from the modular and turn it into a MIDI CC. Then you can control anything you'd normally control with a MIDI CC e.g. from a MIDI controller or keyboard.
lionel
Thanks, that’s mad !
Are the X and Y outs fully equivalent to two outs of the ES-6 for CV to Midi ?
I understand that the ES-6 can transmit audio rate, is there anything else that the ES-6 can do that is not possible with the FH2 ?
os
They're ins, not outs.

They're not equivalent at all. With the ES-6 you can actually record the CV as an audio file.

And of course, you can use the ES-6 for audio as well.
lionel
Ok, got it !

I was interverting the Ins from the module with Outs for my eurorack wink

So, with ES-6, you can record your cv signals as well or process them with silent way for cv to midi etc (there is no distinction between audio rate and cv), whereas the FH2 is all about CV to Midi

Last question : As the ES-6 also needs to be connected to an ES-3. Do I need an optical Toslink cable to connect the ES6 to my soundcard ? (RME Fireface UCX)

I think I'll take both FH2 and ES-6 wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Page 14 of 16